Although it's been 2 years since I owned an iPhone (4), I have a used iPad 2 still on iOS 5. Let me start off by saying, I could care less about Apps. Apps are overrated. With that said... I loathe the fact that Apple keeps their devices on lock down. A non - jailbreak device is unless to me. I'm not the average user who relies on Apple to manage everything for me. I know how to manage my contacts and media. It's frustrating that Apple forces the users into a small garden. Seriously, who doesn't appreciate free will?

I find it pathetic there's no way to manage files on a iOS device. My aunt asked begged me to send her some pictures. I wanted to Bluetooth them. Instead, I had to attach 50 pictures to 5 different emails. That was the last time I offered to take pictures with my phone.

Why can't a user downgrade the software if it purposely slows down the device? I'll gladly acknowledge Apple and their support for software updates. 2-3 years of support is reasonable. However, purposely leaving out features is a slap in the face.

At the end of the day... The average phone users doesn't need to think for themselves! Why would they need a file manager, the option to manually manage their apps, media, and play a variety of media files. God forbid if they need to downgrade the software if an update purposely slows the phone. The average phone users need a toy that does the thinking for them, not a tool to help them be productive.�

Posted via CB10
    GSM-S likes this.
    04-14-14 06:20 PM
    Sorry you had to go through that, but I'd set up a Box Dropbox or OneDrive account etc on my Gma's end and send her pics that way in the future.
    That's if ios 5 even has those.

Posted via CB10
    WanShark69 likes this.
    04-14-14 06:40 PM
    Although it's been 2 years since I owned an iPhone (4), I have a used iPad 2 still on iOS 5. Let me start off by saying, I could care less about Apps. Apps are overrated. With that said... I loathe the fact that Apple keeps their devices on lock down. A non - jailbreak device is unless to me. I'm not the average user who relies on Apple to manage everything for me. I know how to manage my contacts and media. It's frustrating that Apple forces the users into a small garden. Seriously, who doesn't appreciate free will?

I find it pathetic there's no way to manage files on a iOS device. My aunt asked begged me to send her some pictures. I wanted to Bluetooth them. Instead, I had to attach 50 pictures to 5 different emails. That was the last time I offered to take pictures with my phone.

Why can't a user downgrade the software if it purposely slows down the device? I'll gladly acknowledge Apple and their support for software updates. 2-3 years of support is reasonable. However, purposely leaving out features is a slap in the face.

At the end of the day... The average phone users doesn't need to think for themselves! Why would they need a file manager, the option to manually manage their apps, media, and play a variety of media files. God forbid if they need to downgrade the software if an update purposely slows the phone. The average phone users need a toy that does the thinking for them, not a tool to help them be productive.�

Posted via CB10
    Instead of attacking Apple for no good reason, try updating you OS that is EOL. Unlike BB, Apple supports their tablets. My iPad 2's have no problem at all running iOS 7.1, and arguably runs faster than my iPad 3 because they're non retina.

And yes, try Dropbox. There are numerous solutions that would solve your problem, the most obvious being simple software update. Don't throw Apple under the bus for the sake of throwing them under the bus.

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.1898
    04-14-14 06:48 PM
    Instead of attacking Apple for no good reason, try updating you OS that is EOL. Unlike BB, Apple supports their tablets. My iPad 2's have no problem at all running iOS 7.1, and arguably runs faster than my iPad 3 because they're non retina.

And yes, try Dropbox. There are numerous solutions that would solve your problem, the most obvious being simple software update. Don't throw Apple under the bus for the sake of throwing them under the bus.

Apple restricts its users from loading the software updates they want. Is there an jailbreak for iOS 7.1? I like being able to use my jailbroken iPad 2 on iOS 5 without having to connect it to a computer. Hence, a iPad can merely be called a true tablet. It's a glorified consumption device.

Why should I have to rely on a 3rd Party App to do a basic task? Bluetooth File Transfer has been popular before iOS and Apple still hasn't implemented it. Going in 7 years. Unlimited unthrottled cellular service is nearly extinct if you haven't noticed. By the way, I own over a dozen devices. WP8, Android, Meego, Symbian, and BlackBerry to name a few. I used the first 4 iPhones before everyone jumped on the bandwagon. All my devices are paid in retail. Therefore, I paid the cost to knock Apple for there limitations!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 01:35 AM
    This is just my opinion, based on the people around me.

Apple does its own thing, and does it very well.
    Who else (besides Samsung) can sell someone a $500.00 phone then sell that same person pretty much the same thing with a different letter after the name for $650 six months later. Making everyone think they Must own the absolutely newest gadget.
    My girlfriend fits in this category.

If BlackBerry was able to do that they'd be on easy street. However I don't think they could look at themselves in the mirror then.

It seems like they chose to do things another way. Build a better quality product, and only sell their average buyer 1 phone every 2.5 to 3 years.
    The problem with BlackBerry marketing is that we'll see at least 10 new highly rated phones come to market during that time trying to steal our attention. Yes BlackBerry will always get some loyal returning customers, however will it be enough to keep them in business?
    Oh, I fit into this group.
    04-15-14 03:25 AM

So downloading an app, registering and then uploading something to a server so that the person sitting next to you can then download it on their phone is an acceptable solution? With any other smartphone you can use Bluetooth or WiFi Direct to achieve this in a few seconds. And the files never leave the room!

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor, highos and PatrickMJS like this.
    04-15-14 03:42 AM
    If you had ios7 and she's using an Apple device has well you could just do an Air drop

Encrypted on my Z10
    04-15-14 03:47 AM
    This is just my opinion, based on the people around me.

Apple does its own thing, and does it very well.
    Who else (besides Samsung) can sell someone a $500.00 phone then sell that same person pretty much the same thing with a different letter after the name for $650 six months later. Making everyone think they Must own the absolutely newest gadget.
    My girlfriend fits in this category.

If BlackBerry was able to do that they'd be on easy street. However I don't think they could look at themselves in the mirror then.

It seems like they chose to do things another way. Build a better quality product, and only sell their average buyer 1 phone every 2.5 to 3 years.
    The problem with BlackBerry marketing is that we'll see at least 10 new highly rated phones come to market during that time trying to steal our attention. Yes BlackBerry will always get some loyal returning customers, however will it be enough to keep them in business?
    Oh, I fit into this group.
    I doubt BlackBerry management (and investors) aim to build a better quality product and only sell one phone every 3 years. I'm sure their goal is to sell one or more than one phone as quick as possible to every loyal buyer and consumer. If they could sell it to every member of your family including your grandparents they would if they knew the secret.
    04-15-14 03:51 AM
    I doubt BlackBerry management (and investors) aim to build a better quality product and only sell one phone every 3 years. I'm sure their goal is to sell one or more than one phone as quick as possible to every loyal buyer and consumer. If they could sell it to every member of your family including your grandparents they would if they knew the secret.
    If they could sell my grandparents a new phone they would have a whole new market since my last grandparent died 15 years ago.

I'm just having fun with the rest of this post, just ignore it if you want or enjoy it

Would they design a phone that would go beyond the grave so they could talk to their loved ones still living. Or just between others in heaven (or hell)
    For that matter could it link heaven and hell, so the people who made it to heaven could tell those living in hell that they told them so.
    Oh the possibilities with this new technology.

Since people long buried have somehow cast their vote in more than 1 election it must be possible to sell them a phone, but I am not the salesman to do it.
    raymond likes this.
    04-15-14 05:00 AM
    Apple restricts its users from loading the software updates they want. Is there an jailbreak for iOS 7.1? I like being able to use my jailbroken iPad 2 on iOS 5 without having to connect it to a computer. Hence, a iPad can merely be called a true tablet. It's a glorified consumption device.

Why should I have to rely on a 3rd Party App to do a basic task? Bluetooth File Transfer has been popular before iOS and Apple still hasn't implemented it. Going in 7 years. Unlimited unthrottled cellular service is nearly extinct if you haven't noticed. By the way, I own over a dozen devices. WP8, Android, Meego, Symbian, and BlackBerry to name a few. I used the first 4 iPhones before everyone jumped on the bandwagon. All my devices are paid in retail. Therefore, I paid the cost to knock Apple for there limitations!!!

Posted via CB10
    Without the obvious reasons, why would you choose to run an OS on a tablet that's over 3 years old? Do you love old and outdated and missing new features every month with new updates? If that's the case, get a Playbook.
    raymond likes this.
    04-15-14 08:49 AM
    Without the obvious reasons, why would you choose to run an OS on a tablet that's over 3 years old? Do you love old and outdated and missing new features every month with new updates? If that's the case, get a Playbook.
    If my memory serves me correct, Apple just stop selling the iPad 2 no more than 3 months ago... An jailbroken iPad 2 running iOS 5 has more useful features than iOS 7.1. The PlayBook screen is too small for me. 10" is the sweet spot. I should have mentioned that I got my 64GB iPad 2 for $50 bucks off streets.

Posted via CB10
    sheailewis1 likes this.
    04-15-14 09:42 AM
    Newer is certainly not necessarily better for many. That is why so many are still on BBOS devices!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 11:56 AM
    So downloading an app, registering and then uploading something to a server so that the person sitting next to you can then download it on their phone is an acceptable solution? With any other smartphone you can use Bluetooth or WiFi Direct to achieve this in a few seconds. And the files never leave the room!

Posted via CB10
    Great point. For Apple control 1st, convenience 2nd and exceptional marketing to group think you.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 12:00 PM
    I hear you and understand. I have an Apple LacieDisk external hard drive that doesn't play nice with my Windows laptop. We were a huge Apple family at the beginning. I will have to purchase a software to read my photo files. My Powerbook is dead.

We have an Airport router that doesn't play nice with our newer Acer router. Will be giving that away.

I was at a Cheerleading meet and the video I had taken was better than the one taken with my friend's iPhone. But I could not send it to her via Bluetooth or NFC. Dropbox is way too technical for her. I just uploaded it onto YouTube and sent her the link.

Apple is good within its ecosystem. Mix it up and it can be challenging. We have no chargers that will fit our friends' iPhones when they visit vs an Android phone. Just little things like that makes it apparent.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    04-15-14 12:56 PM
    BBOS isn't EOL like iOS 5 is.......

Newer is certainly not necessarily better for many. That is why so many are still on BBOS devices!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 01:46 PM
    Why is this relevant? Are those features (file manager and Bluetooth file transfer) available on the latest hardware/software from Apple.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 04:17 PM
    Sounds like you should have a nexus tablet. You can do almost anything on Android. The limits of Android are limited only by the ability of the user.
    Acidwire likes this.
    04-15-14 04:21 PM
    Time yourself in turning on BT radio, paring, pin coding, navigating, etc etc etc, versus clicking on the file in Dropbox app and clicking Copy Link, Generate Link (BBOS) or Attach in BB10.

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.2228
    Select photos, share via NFC and tap phones.
    mkelley65 likes this.
    04-15-14 05:10 PM
    I have no problem, I run the latest iOS on my iPad and the latest OSX release on my Macbook Pro and iMac, I Also have an Apple TV. My 2 kids run 5th gen iPod Touches and my wife has an iPhone, all on the latest iOS we have no problem sharing files, apps, ext. Apple has made my life immensely easier than ever. I make a living writing enterprise software mainly for Windows, but managing the tech in my house has become so much easier since I went mostly Apple. What exactly does jail breaking gain you? You're trying to hard to make things more complicated than they need to be.
    04-15-14 06:06 PM
    Boy you apple folks just don't listen hey! Try doing what your successfully doing at home with mixed os and products.

Aside from the fact that you spend way to much money on apple products how is it hard to understand that without a cloud service you can't do what other products do flawlessly over mixed manufacturers and OS's without cloud based sharing and excessive and unnecessary data usage through Wifi direct, bluetooth or NFC?

Try doing what the op wants to do without Internet!

Posted via CB10
    sheailewis1 likes this.
    04-15-14 06:58 PM
    Boy you apple folks just don't listen hey! Try doing what your successfully doing at home with mixed os and products.

Aside from the fact that you spend way to much money on apple products how is it hard to understand that without a cloud service you can't do what other products do flawlessly over mixed manufacturers and OS's without cloud based sharing and excessive and unnecessary data usage through Wifi direct, bluetooth or NFC?

Try doing what the op wants to do without Internet!

Posted via CB10
    FYI as has been proudly proclaimed here, it's BB with NFC, not Apple.

No manufacturer satisfies the use cases of every user out there, not even Samsung. If Apple's way of doing things don't work for you, don't buy their products. Doesn't make Apple users wrong or stupid or sheep or water buffalo or whatever.

Apple is a business and rather a successful one at that, arguably the oldest surviving personal computer hardware maker left. If they sniff out that the various capabilities mentioned out are worth implementing, they will.
    04-16-14 10:46 AM
    FYI as has been proudly proclaimed here, it's BB with NFC, not Apple.

No manufacturer satisfies the use cases of every user out there, not even Samsung. If Apple's way of doing things don't work for you, don't buy their products. Doesn't make Apple users wrong or stupid or sheep or water buffalo or whatever.

Apple is a business and rather a successful one at that, arguably the oldest surviving personal computer hardware maker left. If they sniff out that the various capabilities mentioned out are worth implementing, they will.
    Thank you for further making my point. Other devices can play with each other. I can BT or file share with PC's, file servers, other mobile devices etc. With my android, bb10 or even wp8 without the need for 3rd party apps and cloud but all the latest and most expensive apple devices will not do the same even with each other in some instances without the use of cloud based sharing!

Seems counter-intuitive and deliberately suppressing technology in favor of apples control and financial gain.

This is what this whole thread is about not apple people or whatever. Why is this acceptable to apple fans. Don't you want the best of what's available not simply what apple wants you to have or is slowly releasing every year with new devices containing incremental changes?

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 12:16 PM
    Thank you for further making my point. Other devices can play with each other. I can BT or file share with PC's, file servers, other mobile devices etc. With my android, bb10 or even wp8 without the need for 3rd party apps and cloud but all the latest and most expensive apple devices will not do the same even with each other in some instances without the use of cloud based sharing!

Seems counter-intuitive and deliberately suppressing technology in favor of apples control and financial gain.

This is what this whole thread is about not apple people or whatever. Why is this acceptable to apple fans. Don't you want the best of what's available not simply what apple wants you to have or is slowly releasing every year with new devices containing incremental changes?

Posted via CB10
    Evidently it is what a lot of non tech people want. Moving files etc. scares them lol. They know how to use their programs and apps but get them outside of that and it's panic.
    04-16-14 12:30 PM
    Sure I get that....

However let's not dispute that these activities are not possible on apple products and therefore leaves people like the OP frustrated with their products.

My conclusion is that Apple devices also shouldn't be considered a top solution device capable of the current technology standards because they aren't by design.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-16-14 01:05 PM
    Ps: don't knock the PlayBook. Its no longer supported and still does many numerous things the various iPad cant!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, that playbook built in file manager makes it just a joy to work with photos.

I've never used Apple for anything but I can't imagine anything more frustrating or useless than the playbook's built in file manager.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 04-16-14 at 03:10 PM.
    04-16-14 02:55 PM
58 123