I've made up my mind to use my upgrade for a 3Gs 32gb (white). I've been reading some threads here and on 'iphone forums'. (I'll try 'The iphone Blog' next), and naturally I have questions.

1. I don't own a Mac. Does Mac software play nice with windows?

2. Once I'm familiar with it, I plan on jailbreaking it (I would miss multi-tasking). I have read that Apples newest software is not jailbreakable. Has a newer version of black rain come out that gets around this?

3. Are there limits or restrictions as to how many apps you can run in the background?

4. Are there limits or restrictions as to what TYPE of apps can run in the background?

5. Can you install more than one browser, and run them simultaneously?

6. I'm also looking for something similar to the newbie forums here, if someone can recommend a site, that would be great.

Thanks!
    11-23-09 09:58 AM
    1. I don't own a Mac. Does Mac software play nice with windows?

I'm not to sure what you mean by this...

Do some programs on windows work on mac?

Yes, some- but there are few and far between.

If something is necessary, you may need to run bootcamp in order to play windows and run whatever program you *need* that runs windows.

2. Once I'm familiar with it, I plan on jailbreaking it (I would miss multi-tasking). I have read that Apples newest software is not jailbreakable. Has a newer version of black rain come out that gets around this?

Yes, blackra1n came out early November, and it's crazy easy to jailbreak your iPhone. It literally takes less than 30 seconds to do.

3. Are there limits or restrictions as to how many apps you can run in the background?

Not sure, but I am positive this will effect battery, and performance.

4. Are there limits or restrictions as to what TYPE of apps can run in the background?

Not sure again- But I don't think so.

5. Can you install more than one browser, and run them simultaneously

Not sure, but Cooliris is definitely something to watch out for! Cooliris | IPhone

Im curious however, why would you want this? Safari runs multiple tabs, and the safari browser is the best mobile browser out-

I wish I could run Safari on my BlackBerry's! Forget Opera and Bolt!

6. I'm also looking for something similar to the newbie forums here, if someone can recommend a site, that would be great.

TheiPhoneBlog is pretty good, even though I know you knew of it already...

It's definitely not as active or busy as here.
    11-23-09 10:20 AM
    Thanks Prada.

What I meant by question #1 was, is it as easy to do stuff on a pc as I assume it would be on a Mac in relation to the iphone.

Re Safari: I didn't know it had tabs.
    *I'm definitely a noob, lol*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 10:35 AM
    You can't run apps in the background without jailbreaking your phone, which is easy and also easily reversed. Running background apps will affect battery life, not so much performance. There's only one browser vailable for the iPhone (safari) but it does have tabbed browsing.

11-23-09 10:37 AM
    What I meant by question #1 was, is it as easy to do stuff on a pc as I assume it would be on a Mac in relation to the iphone.
    Apple has done this crazy amazing thing with their products, they made some techno-ecosystem thing.

Apple products always work better and more easily with other apple products.

With that said, my iPhone works amazingly when I plug it into my MacBookPro.

Did it play just as easily with my Toshiba? Yes.

So long as you have iTunes up and running the newest update, the whole "iPhone-Sync" experience should be the same.
    11-23-09 10:43 AM
    Thanks Zed.
    Battery life I'm not too concerned about. I've let the battery drain too low, too often on my curve, and ruined it. I'm used to always carrying a charger around. I don't get a full day out of this thing with normal use anyway.

11-23-09 10:47 AM
    No problem, if you need instructions on how to jailbreak PM me or something and I'd be happy to help

11-23-09 12:00 PM
    1- To simplify's Prada's answer... you won't have any issues with the iPhone on windows based systems. They play nice and haven't had any hiccups.

2- I upgraded yesterday and used blackra1n. I did it in a matter of seconds.

3- Some native apps (email, messages, safari, phone & iPod) run in the background. If you jailbreak, there technically isn't a limit, but having a lot will kill your battery in no time. So it's best to be selective and only when needed.

4- With the jailbreak app, there isn't. Without it, refer to the native apps list above.

5- You can install more browsers. Swift is one and others. Once again, same rule applies as #3 & #4 when it comes to running it simultaneously.

6- TheiPhoneBlog - MacRumors - EverythingiCafe
    11-23-09 12:31 PM
    Thanks Duvi.

I went to a Telus store at lunch. I pick it up Wednesday after work.

Hopefully it's as solid as my Curve. I've abused this thing and it's still going.
    11-23-09 01:36 PM
    No problem. I've never dropped or abused the iPhone like I would other devices, so wouldn't really know how durable physically, but software wise, it's a beast.
    11-23-09 01:39 PM
    The iPhone is pretty durable-

But, a glass screen is just that, a glass screen...

I'm not an advocate of screen protectors though.

Its a thin sheet of plastic.

If the screen fell hard enough, and at just the right angle it's going to break.

Thin plastic screen cover or not.

That being said, I've dropped my iPhone lots of times on the weekend at parties.

It has some battle scars, but it's fine.

Just don't drop it in Black Bean Soup!
    11-23-09 01:46 PM
    I think I'll get a skin for this one though, and be a little more careful.

Edit: lol at Black Bean Soup.
    Last edited by LazyStarGazer; 11-23-09 at 01:53 PM.
    11-23-09 01:50 PM
    Your getting a iphone! Whooo!!

I think im going to jailbreak mine in a few weeks.

The safari browser is amazing, like prada said its waaayy better than the bb one. If you need help with anything you know how to hunt me down.
    11-24-09 01:02 AM
    Your getting a iphone! Whooo!!

I think im going to jailbreak mine in a few weeks.

The safari browser is amazing, like prada said its waaayy better than the bb one. If you need help with anything you know how to hunt me down.
    I jailbroke mine the first hour I got it. No downside at all. Only takes like 30 seconds like Prada said. When you do get these apps for sure

-Notifier (Notifcation icons on the taskbar)
    -Backrounder (Run apps in backround)
    -SBSettings (widgets)
    -iphone folders (this is a program you download to your PC. Basically mass storage mode for when you connect your phone to your PC. Actually phone doesn't have to be jailbroken to use this.)

11-24-09 01:11 AM
    I jailbroke mine the first hour I got it. No downside at all. Only takes like 30 seconds like Prada said. When you do get these apps for sure

-Notifier (Notifcation icons on the taskbar)
    -Backrounder (Run apps in backround)
    -SBSettings (widgets)
    -iphone folders (this is a program you download to your PC. Basically mass storage mode for when you connect your phone to your PC. Actually phone doesn't have to be jailbroken to use this.)

Unless its incredibly painless im scared I'll somehow mess it up. I'm on vista and it would make it alot easier to do. I've only had this phone for a week, so im still a n00b.
    11-24-09 01:16 AM
    I'm on Vista also. JB worked fine. I had to re-jailbreak again the other day because I recently switched to T-Mobile and unlocked it and ran into a problem that could habe easily been fixed without me restoring my phone, but the JB went good again.

Always remember, it's just as easy to revert your phone back to OG settings as it is to jailbreak. Really no downside. I always backup my phones regularly anyway.

blackweather from your PC. If you got questions or problems gimme a holla

11-24-09 01:20 AM
    Thanks!!

Is there any downside to jailbreaking?
    11-24-09 01:24 AM
    Thanks!!

Is there any downside to jailbreaking?
    Not really. If you don't like it, just restore

11-24-09 01:26 AM
    Not really. If you don't like it, just restore

Sweet, thanks. Still dont know when I will, my computer is giving me fits. :|
    11-24-09 01:30 AM
    Okay well if you do it let me know. Meanwhile just download the program to your comp from the link I gave you. Just click the windows logo.

11-24-09 01:32 AM
    I figured that much out.
    Thanks for your help, now that you offered you cant back out.
    11-24-09 01:36 AM
    I got your back Shi

11-24-09 01:38 AM
    I got your back Shi

Since your here... my battery sucks horribly. Not much worse than my curve & pearl but still... I know how to force the apps closed and if you turn the phone off it helps..but is there anything else I should be knowing/doing?
    11-24-09 01:42 AM
    That's a downside to the iphone. A few things that would help are, if you can connect to Wi-Fi, connect. If you don't need 3G sometimes where you are, switch to edge. Keep your screen brightness at 50-60 percent. Other than that, keep a car charger handy as well as a charger at work.

11-24-09 01:49 AM
    Well no wifi where I am in BFE. I turned my screen brightness down as much as I could, but I'm getting on the blind side. Sigh, at least im always by a plug at work!
    11-24-09 01:54 AM
152 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD