Long story short, if I switch from a blackberry storm to an iphone, what will be better/ worse. I am worried about dropped calls since a few years back I had cingular and it was not pretty! I know I can look at their coverage map and I have, not sure if it's accurate. I am looking for input as to the potential problems like not having push email, etc....Thanks for the help!
    07-07-09 06:13 AM
    The iPhone supports push email.. It's got it's own pros/cons as does a Blackberry.

The iPhone is offers way better subfolder syncing, as well as you receive emails exactly when they appear in your mailbox.

On a blackberry, the timestamp is when your BB receives the message.

Dropped calls was a huge issue pre-2.0 OS, but since then, I've not experienced one single dropped call.
    07-07-09 12:20 PM
    you have 30 days to try it out. If you don't like it, take it back and cancel your service.

you will love the iphone. Everything just works.
    07-07-09 12:30 PM
    The iPhone supports push email.. It's got it's own pros/cons as does a Blackberry.

The iPhone is offers way better subfolder syncing, as well as you receive emails exactly when they appear in your mailbox.

On a blackberry, the timestamp is when your BB receives the message.

Dropped calls was a huge issue pre-2.0 OS, but since then, I've not experienced one single dropped call.
    There are already a few threads going on about the pros and cons, but like sniffs said, I have not had one dropped call yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 12:31 PM
    I will be getting one iphone to try out for a few days, I thank you all for the assistance
    07-07-09 12:45 PM
    I will be getting one iphone to try out for a few days, I thank you all for the assistance
    No problem, best of luck to you. If you need help with anything let us know.

07-07-09 01:04 PM
    I've been a long time BB user and I just switched to the Iphone. They really are different animals. If I had to list a con it would be that there is no LED notifier to inform you of missed call, email, text, etc. and no multitasking.
    The Pro's are abundant, at least IMO. Better web experience, better camera, app store, UI, style, size.......
    It's only been a few days with my new iPhone and there are some adjustments if you are coming from a qwerty KB.

I've had the BB curve, storm, and bold....the bold is my favorite BB device but you really owe it to yourself to at least try out the iPhone.
    07-08-09 08:51 AM
    Oh, to have a BlackBerry with 32 GIGS of space....
    07-08-09 12:17 PM
    Oh, to have a BlackBerry with 32 GIGS of space....
    What for? They'd still limit you on how many apps you can install.

Keep in mind both the Bold and Storm have 1 gig of internal memory.. can you install apps to it? Nope.

That 1 gig is for media, and it's pretty pointless.
    07-08-09 12:24 PM
    Just picked up my 3GS after having a Bold and 8900 that I broke in the same day,lol, and I must say I am very impressed!
    07-08-09 01:03 PM
    iPhone is garbage. To say the least. Battery life, lack of push-support, and shoddy signal/reception/speaker quality. Toy toy toy.

BOLD FTMFW
    07-08-09 01:16 PM
    iPhone is garbage. To say the least. Battery life, lack of push-support, and shoddy signal/reception/speaker quality. Toy toy toy.

BOLD FTMFW
    Actually what's garbage is:

Blackberry Browser
    "HTML" email.... come one now that's just plain text
    Memory Leaks.... app memory is a joke
    Battery Pulls
    Joke of a media player.... record a video on my blackberry, then try to play it says "unsupported format" WTF?
    App World.... are you serious? No one is even talking about it anymore.
    Can I get threaded SMS?
    Can't view the folders for an email account
    LOL @ Youtube player
    07-08-09 01:25 PM

BOLD FTMFW
    umm, ok? battery life is good, comparable to my bold, i have push email, and signal /reception is better than my bold. speaker quality isnt as good as my bold, but i havent found ANY phone that is. toy? i dont think so.
    07-08-09 04:06 PM
    The only complaint I have with my iPhone, is that programs don't run in the background as they do on my BlackBerry.

I think thats all RIM has on Apple.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-08-09 at 04:30 PM.
    07-08-09 04:26 PM
    Agreed apple is still new to the cell phone busniess compared to rim give them time pretty soon it'll run multiple apps at once. I am not worried about it it gas yet to be a major issue for me.

07-08-09 04:44 PM
    I got the 32 gig 3G S the day it came out. I'm taking it back next Friday.
    The battery sucks. Plain and simple.
    In order to get longer than one day of the same use I put my Bold through, I had to turn off Push email, Wifi, bluetooth, turn the brightness to 20%. In other workds, I had to turn off all the features that made the iPhone great and that are standard in higher end phones. And I found out I can't even see video on CNN like I could with my Bold. The battery gets so hot I'm afraid the thing will catch fire.
    It's a gorgeous phone, with a beautiful display, but I'm extremely disappointed. I actually have two phones in my bag - the Bold that I still have as my backup line and the iPhone.
    I've told everyone I know that the iPhone is absolutely not a Blackberry killer. Fact is, the second Blackberry comes up with a full HTML phone that supports 3G, I'm getting it.
    The iPhone is a nice toy. Unfortunately, I'm a grown up. I need reliability. The iPhone battery doesn't give me that.
    07-10-09 12:39 PM
    Now my experience with the iPhone is the complete oppisite. I love it. I had a BB Storm since day 1 of its release and even with the OS upgrade it still took multiple clicks on some things to get the desired action. I switched to the 3GS. I will never go back to a BB. While BB's are fine...the ease of use with the iPhone is unbelieveable. Functionality is superior IMO and I'm thrilled with the switch. Battery life is not an issue I've had yet. Overall: BB Storm C grade. iPhone A grade.
    07-10-09 12:59 PM
    I got the 32 gig 3G S the day it came out. I'm taking it back next Friday.
    The battery sucks. Plain and simple.
    In order to get longer than one day of the same use I put my Bold through, I had to turn off Push email, Wifi, bluetooth, turn the brightness to 20%. In other workds, I had to turn off all the features that made the iPhone great and that are standard in higher end phones. And I found out I can't even see video on CNN like I could with my Bold. The battery gets so hot I'm afraid the thing will catch fire.
    It's a gorgeous phone, with a beautiful display, but I'm extremely disappointed. I actually have two phones in my bag - the Bold that I still have as my backup line and the iPhone.
    I've told everyone I know that the iPhone is absolutely not a Blackberry killer. Fact is, the second Blackberry comes up with a full HTML phone that supports 3G, I'm getting it.
    The iPhone is a nice toy. Unfortunately, I'm a grown up. I need reliability. The iPhone battery doesn't give me that.

Hrmm I use mine all day.. like 20+ hours (yes i sleep 3-4 a night) and really I only have to charge the battery once per day. A couple things that impact the battery are using the camera/video camera for a long period of time, playing videos and/or games.

That being said, there are options for increasing the life of your battery:

RichardSolo 1800 for iPhone - RS001

The RS1800 is quite simply the best accessory I've ever purchased for any electronic device. One full charge to the RS1800 and I can recharge my iPhone 2-3 times to full without having to plug it in anywhere. It also comes with a retractable USB/m-USB cord, a 2 port car charger and a wall adapter. You can even charge your iPhone off the Solo while it's charging. It's small/thin, lightweight and I don't notice it in my pocket.

You can also pickup a battery backup:

Griffin Technology: TuneJuice for iPhone - Battery Backup for iPod and iPhone

Or a case that has a battery reserve:

Incase - Power Slider Case with Battery for Apple� iPhone 3G/3G S - Black - EC20009

Why can't you view CNN video? Works fine for me. Battery also doesn't get hot.

Don't return the iPhone =) You'll regret it.
    07-10-09 01:03 PM
    Blackberries and iphones are the best on the market you cant go wrong with either one. I have a Storm and I absolutely love it, the iphone seems a bit more childish though.

no insurance on iphones and just upgraded to provide MMS.
    i do think the iphone is a superior browser phone.
    07-10-09 01:18 PM
    Blackberries and iphones are the best on the market you cant go wrong with either one. I have a Storm and I absolutely love it, the iphone seems a bit more childish though.

no insurance on iphones and just upgraded to provide MMS.
    i do think the iphone is a superior browser phone.
    You can buy insurance for an iPhone cheaper then you can a Storm btw.

You just can't buy it through AT&T. Has nothing to do with the iPhone.
    07-10-09 01:27 PM
    Actually, Crackzilla is right. Both BB's and iPhones are pretty cool. Both have strong suits. For me, the iPhone was a better decision than the Storm. For Crackzilla it was the oppisite. If it were not so expensive, I guess I would have one of each LOL.
    07-10-09 03:12 PM
    I would not put it in "pro" terms since the iPhone has too many pros to mention compared with the Storm, but the three basic cons are:

1) network
    2) lack of multitasking
    3) lack of blackberry push email
    4) battery life

If you want an iPhone just ask your friends who have an iPhone how the ATT service is in your area. I hear a lot of people online say they don't like it, but everyone I ask who lives near me has had no problems. Also ask one of your friends to borrow an iPhone and test it out at your house/apartment/work/whatever. The last thing you want is a dead zone where you live.

The lack of multitasking can be a deal breaker, but hey, if you can't listen to Pandora while you browse a website, is it the end of the world?

No true push email like Blackberry, but honestly, I have never received an email so important that it has to be responded to now instead of 15 minutes from now. If someone is dying to get in touch with me, they can just call.

No real rationalization for battery life. The iPhone battery life kinda sucks. You're just going to have to deal with it. I think the Storm's battery life is one pretty good thing it has going for it (aside from those times when a reboot drains 20% of its life). If the battery lasts for the whole day, it's not really a big deal as I usually charge my Storm every night anyway.
    Last edited by mdude85; 07-10-09 at 04:28 PM.
    07-10-09 04:22 PM
    I would not put it in "pro" terms since the iPhone has too many pros to mention compared with the Storm, but the three basic cons are:

1) network
    2) lack of multitasking
    3) lack of blackberry push email
    4) battery life

If you want an iPhone just ask your friends who have an iPhone how the ATT service is in your area. I hear a lot of people online say they don't like it, but everyone I ask who lives near me has had no problems. Also ask one of your friends to borrow an iPhone and test it out at your house/apartment/work/whatever. The last thing you want is a dead zone where you live.

The lack of multitasking can be a deal breaker, but hey, if you can't listen to Pandora while you browse a website, is it the end of the world?

No true push email like Blackberry, but honestly, I have never received an email so important that it has to be responded to now instead of 15 minutes from now. If someone is dying to get in touch with me, they can just call.

No real rationalization for battery life. The iPhone battery life kinda sucks. You're just going to have to deal with it. I think the Storm's battery life is one pretty good thing it has going for it (aside from those times when a reboot drains 20% of its life). If the battery lasts for the whole day, it's not really a big deal as I usually charge my Storm every night anyway.

1. Network = Depends where you live, not a iPhone issue. Verizon is worse then AT&T in Pittsburgh.

2. Multitasking - Only lacks support for 3rd party Apps and Push notifications take care of a lot of those issues. Only real issue is with apps like Pandora. Jailbreak the phone and multitask Pandora. Takes less then 5 minutes.

3. BlackBerry email outside of BES is nothing to write home about. BIS is 10x worse then the iPhone. Push email is supported through Yahoo! & MobileMe.

4. Battery life is hit or miss, mine is better then my old Storms. Battery backups ftw I guess.
    07-10-09 04:34 PM
    There is a free app call backgroundr that allows multi-tasking. It leaves apps running in the background just like the BlackBerry.
    Ex: I'm listening to Yahoo Radio now while typing this in Safari and switching between Aim and yahoo convos.

Look for it on Cydia after jailbreaking.

07-10-09 10:16 PM
    Why can't you view CNN video? Works fine for me. Battery also doesn't get hot.

Don't return the iPhone =) You'll regret it.
    Jeli, you had so many great ideas - thank you. I am taking it back, it' not working for me and for my needs. I just don't see having to charge a phone every night and having to travel with the BBerry as a back up.

On the CNN videos - is asks me to load Flash then tells me it's not supported. Or I get the error message "This CNN feature does not currently support the platform you are using."

Don't get me wrong - it's a gorgeous phone. But for me, if I have to turn all the features that are now standard in higher end phones and make the phone attractive, then - for me - it's not much of a point.

I gave it the good ol' college try. I was soooo excited on June 19th, stood in line at the Pentagon City store, loved it. Then I realized that the battery just couldn't keep up with what I needed it to do. I don't play games on it but I do browse the web *a lot* and that was the reason I got it, for the full HTML, the 3G and wifi support, and the push mail. Push mail matters to me because I travel at least two weeks out of every month, and I take care of a lot of stuff by mail.

And for me, the battery does get hot. Just as a note - I did go through the recommended process for conditioning the battery and have found several articles on how to increase the battery life. Unfortunately, most of the options cited suggested turning off the features I mentioned.

All your tips were great. Had I been open at this point to keeping the phone I probably would have taken the case. Thank you so much for your suggestions - I'm afraid the bloom is off the rose for me.
    07-11-09 04:38 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD