Credit for find to Alnamvet68 on N4BB

This is bad news for everyone. The Apple UDID is pretty much the same thing as our BlackBerry PIN and since it was stolen from the FBI I think it's safe to assume this "nonprofit organization" has millions of our records too.

Hackers leak Apple device IDs allegedly stored by FBI - Technology & Science - CBC News

Also find more details at:

Hackers Leak 1 Million Apple Device IDs | SecurityNewsDaily.com
    Last edited by stewartj1; 09-04-12 at 04:41 PM.
    09-04-12 02:25 PM
    its a digital world, hackers have always been around, with more and more personal information and more and more things goign digital its becoming more of a problem then it used to and it will continue to get worse
    09-04-12 02:42 PM
    Credit for find to Alnamvet68 on N4BB

This is bad news for everyone. The Apple UDID is pretty much the same thing as our BlackBerry PIN and since it was stolen from the FBI I think it's safe to assume this "nonprofit organization" has millions of our records too.

Hackers leak Apple device IDs allegedly stored by FBI - Technology & Science - CBC News

Also find more details at:

Hackers Leak 1 Million Apple Device IDs | SecurityNewsDaily.com
    While there are a lot of questions that need to be answered, the UDID is not akin to a Blackberry PIN. A UDID does not allow direct communication with the device like a PIN. Developers are also not allowed to use the UDID as an identifying moniker since iOS4 (i believe, possibly iOS5). Also, the UDID has never been able to be used to identify a user personally, so the FBI have obviously been at work collecting information to supplement the UDID for some unknown reason.

The FBI have some explaining to do but this is much more of a privacy issue than a security issue (for the end user). The security issue is that of the FBI who must now explain why these UDID's were held in combination with personally identifiable information and how it got stolen.

I don't expect any real answers from one of Holder's departments....
    09-05-12 05:46 AM
    While there are a lot of questions that need to be answered, the UDID is not akin to a Blackberry PIN. A UDID does not allow direct communication with the device like a PIN. Developers are also not allowed to use the UDID as an identifying moniker since iOS4 (i believe, possibly iOS5). Also, the UDID has never been able to be used to identify a user personally, so the FBI have obviously been at work collecting information to supplement the UDID for some unknown reason.

The FBI have some explaining to do but this is much more of a privacy issue than a security issue (for the end user). The security issue is that of the FBI who must now explain why these UDID's were held in combination with personally identifiable information and how it got stolen.

I don't expect any real answers from one of Holder's departments....
    THAT is the question I have.
    As far as security is concerned, guidelines prohibit the pairing of two pieces of unique attributable information to be carried together without creating documentation for a system of record.
    My questions are why does the FBI have the information, what disciplinary action was taken against this agent, why the non profit organisation collected it, how they collected it, and whether the whole thing is a fabrication to embarrass Apple right before a new iPhone release.
    Whatever the final play on this happens to be, it makes me all the more hesitant to keep anything sensitive on my iPhone, such as banking apps.

And by the way, OP, thank you for posting the actual links to the story rather than link to that N4BB place.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-05-12 at 06:14 AM.
    09-05-12 06:04 AM
    None of my devices are on the list.
    09-05-12 07:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD