Though details are still hush hush this deal would propose the following possibities.

- AT&T/ iPhone would lose out on all google related services. Ie, maps, google app, google over all searching and YouTube.
    - verizion would have exclusive speed over all carriers for all google related products.
    ( ie) if you have verizion and your buddy has tmobile or sprint even with 4g you and stream YouTube faster on verizon period.
    As well as other undisclosed details.
    Those are two major deals though.
    This is huge, and FCC is scared because they really can't do anything. Though google CEO Eric shimdt didn't have a comment on the merger/ deal with verizon he did say " google is committed to net neutrality and has been since day one. " still there are alot of people saying this will indeed throw off the balance of net neutrality and on another note may and most likely will end the idea of apple ever going to verizon. At least I think so, this is a major deal i think will be interested to see the details as they come

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 10:50 AM
    What's the source?
    08-08-10 10:54 AM
    Rumored Google-Verizon Deal Could End Net Neutrality - PCWorld

08-08-10 11:04 AM
    Like I said I read another one too, Supposedly google is commited to trying to remove all its services from ATT, and if it can't it will at shoot for the iPhone.
    08-08-10 11:07 AM
    I wonder if that would mean no more Bing for Verizon users
    08-08-10 11:12 AM
    This would be pretty intense if it happened. Verizon would be filled with Android.
    08-08-10 11:14 AM
    Yeah **** will hit the fan I think if this happens. Not sure but it will certainly kill the verizon iPhone buzz, and it might draw the monopoly mob. **** they tried to claim that ATT/Apple exclusive deal was a monopoly. Google actually provides internet service so for them to provide verizon with the right to there stuff is a big deal. Especially since Verizon's trying to break into the cable internet business this could effect home computer based internet searching too.
    08-08-10 11:18 AM
    Yeah **** will hit the fan I think if this happens. Not sure but it will certainly kill the verizon iPhone buzz, and it might draw the monopoly mob. **** they tried to claim that ATT/Apple exclusive deal was a monopoly. Google actually provides internet service so for them to provide verizon with the right to there stuff is a big deal. Especially since Verizon's trying to break into the cable internet business this could effect home computer based internet searching too.
    Very true. I thought Verizon was separate from Verizon Wireless though? I can see both companies getting the rights though.
    08-08-10 11:25 AM
    No it's the same they opened it after AT&T annouced they were going in the Internet business again. I wonder if that also means they won't offer any sort of android devices for AT&T my guess is no.

08-08-10 11:32 AM
    Wouldnt happen because itd be anti-competitive to block off all Google services.

Just like how people moaned and whined around here about Apple being anti-competitive this is 10 times worse than Apple since its not only a mobile platform, but search, maps, services, etc.

Net neutrality you preached huh Google?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-08-10 at 11:38 AM.
    08-08-10 11:36 AM
    I agree with stuaw. I'm not liking google lately.

08-08-10 11:41 AM
    Weren't people around here trying to linch Apple not even a few weeks/month or 2 ago for being "so anti-competitive?" VZW fanboys were screaming the short time left exclusivity with ATT was "anti-competitive" and even iAds.

Now Google does this and no one blinks an eye when its not just a mobile platform, but now the freakin internet too.

Did Google not preach how "open" and "net neutral" they are, yet they want to block off their services (on the INTERNET) from the iphone? And now their OS, after they and their fans whined about the iphone exclusivity, which is ONLY 1-1.5 years left max if it was the 5 year deal.

Google IS evil, probasbly even more so than Apple. Not to defend Apple but I at least get sometimes why they do what they do. Like iAds for instance, theyre trying to get into that sector, nothing wrong with trying to compete. Flash, I get that its sluggish and doesnt function to par that Apple engineers want it to release to the mass public. But blocking off google maps, search, etc is a clear childish spite move- blocking access to the internet essentially. That sounds directly opposite of net neutral and open that Google preaches.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 08-08-10 at 11:50 AM.
    08-08-10 11:44 AM
    Weren't people around here trying to linch Apple not even a few weeks/month or 2 ago for being "so anti-competitive?" VZW fanboys were screaming the short time left exclusivity with ATT was "anti-competitive" and even iAds.

Now Google does this and no one blinks an eye when its not just a mobile platform, but now the freakin internet too.

Did Google not preach how "open" and "net neutral" they are, yet they want to block off their services (on the INTERNET) from the iphone? And now their OS, after they and their fans whined about the iphone exclusivity, which is ONLY 1-1.5 years left max if it was the 5 year deal.

Google IS evil, probasbly even more so than Apple.
    Yea people were. VZW fanboys always are. If this happens, Google is evil, and that makes Verizon just as evil as well.

I'll still buy Android though.
    08-08-10 11:48 AM
    I mean if they want to go exclusive with VZW, fine. Im all ok with exclusive deals, I dont see a problem with that per say. That's conditioned by the fact they dont supply Sprint and Tmo then, because if they just blackball ATT then thats clearly anti-competitive.

But they give up their one huge advantage of being on multiple carriers and hurt themselves in the end really. But I can assure you if this happens any possible VZW/Apple deal will be dead on the spot.

The services deal its just pure anti-competitive and anti-net neutral. They wont be able to talk their way out of that one if they block the iphone solely fro their services.
    08-08-10 11:53 AM
    Yeah well the scary thing is it's not just the iPhone they want to block all AT&T phones from google, but if they can't get it they will settle for the iPhone. So we will see what happens, FCC is looking into it.

08-08-10 12:03 PM
    CEO of google says " the deal with Verizon will not end net neutrality" and further adds it will Google does believe that certain types of data should have better connectivity, such as digital voice. This has already raised some concerns from congress. Even though google say it will remain neutral certain actions set in motion are pointing more and more to a deal.

08-08-10 02:55 PM
    Lol @ Google. That whole deal kind of goes against any definition of net neutrality does it not? Blocking parts of the internet for some.
    08-08-10 03:06 PM
    Yea, this won't fly
    08-08-10 04:05 PM
    I wonder if that would mean no more Bing for Verizon users
    That would definitely be a good thing!
    08-08-10 05:38 PM
    Where is the article that actually says anything about google blocking all their services from AT&T? All I see in the article is google and vow possibly agreeing to allow google services run at higher speeds on their network.

I'd find it hard they are trying to block their services completely on AT&T especially with android devices now being released their and it would damage their reputation and their relationship with other companies like rim where blackberry users use google services as well. So where is that article?
    08-08-10 11:33 PM
    I'll have to find it there where a few different articles.
    08-09-10 12:55 AM
    Google-Verizon talks on net neutrality spark firestorm of criticism - San Jose Mercury News

There were reports of people stating some of the claims were to block, as well as provide faster service for verzion customers. This is the one that talks about the faster internet. Though Google is denying some of the claims.
    Apparently though Google will " not block " services, but will provide an edge for Verizon services. This is what it told the FCC, I think it was more scare tactics of what could happen after the merger is approved.
    08-09-10 01:07 AM
    Google Could Yank YouTube from Apple Over Skirmish

It was over a separate matter that's why I couldn't find it. Sorry it took so long to find

08-09-10 01:30 AM
    Even if it did fly, would Google be that stupid? They would lose
    a lot of marketshare to Bing/Yahoo if they did this. I don't think
    they are. They've probably thought about it, but I already saw
    that they already denied these claims.

Verizon and Google Deny Plans to Kill Net Neutrality | Maximum PC

Google, Verizon deny talks about Web pay tiers - msnbc.com

Google, Verizon Deny Talks to End Net Neutrality (But They Are Talking)
    08-09-10 08:04 AM
    Google Could Yank YouTube from Apple Over Skirmish

It was over a separate matter that's why I couldn't find it. Sorry it took so long to find

Well that's just talking about Google pulling youtube from the iPhone and not from AT&T and that was posted 2 months ago. Also, it's just google doing to Apple what Apple is doing to everyone else. Apple restricted google's admob and they really don't want anything on their platform that is a direct conflict of interest of their own products and services. So google would take the same stance by enhancing it's competitive advantage by saying we only want our services on our devices. Although I don't think it would happen, I understand it. But I don't see a credible source talking about it. I doubt google would do that because they'll hurt themselves and their reputation by restricting their stuff when they claim to be so "pro-open". I do however see them wanting an agreement with VZW to offer their services with faster data speeds. But this is nothing against AT&T.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-09-10 at 08:16 AM.
    08-09-10 08:09 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD