My contract is almost up, and i've been looking at getting a Bold or a 8900. I've held the Bold and personally don't like its keyboard or form factor, so naturally waiting on the 8900 to arrive. The past few weeks i've been weighing up the 8900 to the bold and quite frankly the lack of 3G has annoyed me. RIM are blatantly only releasing the 8900 without 3G so Bold sales figures arn't hurt too much.

This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't hearing rumours of a touchscreen, 3G, 8900 form factor phone coming out.

I've decided, because I would be wanting to take full advantage of the internet, I am not prepared to drop 3G (have been using 3G phone for over a year) It's now a Bold vs Iphone 3G battle for me.

So, guys I have a couple of questions;

- On the iphone 3G, can the virtual keyboard be tilted horizontally whilst sending text messages and emails, thus easier to use with more space.

- Is the email functions anywhere near as good as the Bold?

- Overall which do you guys prefer taking all factors (quality, design, function, e.t.c) into account?
    12-11-08 11:40 PM
    A factory iphone 3g doesnt have tilt when texting or emailing, and to be honest i thought it would be an issue for me also but really it isn't, the narrow touch qwerty is really fast once you get the hang of it, because of the auto correct feature. You can "jailbreak" your iphone which if you type "jailbreak" into google you will find many sites relating to it. You can make the tilt available to you.

Email for me is great. I have my personal yahoo account getting pushed to my iphone, my emails sync flawlessly. I also have an exchange account from my work to it and calendar/contact sync and it works great. Better than I could have imagined especially the calendar syncing with my exchange calendar. Plus the HTML email is truly HTML, when I switched from a BB I didn't realize how much I would appreciate it.

Overall I don't see myself switching back to a bb anytime soon, the IPHONE just suits my needs better, I like have full browser with wifi, my music, the touchscreen is great, email works just as i would like it to. I just wish att was better in my area.
    12-12-08 07:01 AM
    I got tired of waiting for the Bold and upgraded to the Iphone 3G in August. I liked the phone pretty well but the one thing that kept coming up was the poor battery life. Email works well but only one email is push and the rest are fetch. It is definitely a multi media phone.

I sold my iphone to a friend that did not want a berry because of pocket mac. I got the bold and love it! I was meeting a friend for lunch in Dallas this week and if you are not familiar with downtown it can be confusing. While I was there, she was lost. I used the Bold GPS to find my position and emailed her the map location to her curve. She arrived in minutes. Just an example of the real life apps that are helpful.

If you are near a power source daily you should be okay witht the iphone. If not, it will drive you nuts!
    12-12-08 07:34 AM
    If you don't like the bold form factor and keyboard, you're ruling out every bb - seriously, the differences are small, and the bold has one of the best bb keyboards ever. It's like saying you don't want a ferrarri as it's not quite the right shade of red...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 09:37 AM
    Depends on what you want in a device...

Gmail and other mail providers can have push (Yahoo and MobileME have it) by using Mail2Web.

Sms going landscape was purposely left out of the iPhone and will continue to be until it's stable. Personally, I like typing horizontally on the QWERTY keyboard. I actually typed faster on the iPhone then my Curve.

Quality - Bold
    Design - iPhone
    Function - Depends what you need.
    12-14-08 01:48 AM
    Depends on what you want in a device...

Gmail and other mail providers can have push (Yahoo and MobileME have it) by using Mail2Web.

Sms going landscape was purposely left out of the iPhone and will continue to be until it's stable. Personally, I like typing horizontally on the QWERTY keyboard. I actually typed faster on the iPhone then my Curve.

Quality - Bold
    Design - iPhone
    Function - Depends what you need.
    I agree with you except the quality part. I feel the iPhone is of better quality. Glass screen, has more of a solid feel, etc... Not taking anything away from the Bold either. Love both devices.
    12-15-08 05:08 PM
    my blackberry curve went haywire and i've been using an iphone, thinking i'd switch back to the curve after the whole rma process has gone through. hate to turn redcoat, but even after just 2 weeks of usage, it's really gonna be difficult to get myself to go back to the curve.

i'm a long time ipod user, so the familiarity with itunes and such have really made the transition seemless.
    12-15-08 08:35 PM
    Whether you should get a BB or an iPhone depends a lot on your lifestyle. If you find yourself carrying a cell phone and an iPod with you all the time, then iPhone is definitely the way to go. If you like to browse the net regularly on your phone, then again, iPhone is definately better. On the other hand, if BES services, video recording, IM, and MMS are important to you, then a Bold would be better.

For a non-BES user, I think an iPhone is a better choice as long as you're not a heavy MMS user. Once you learn to type on the iPhone, and there's definitely a learning curve, it's not a big deal. You have to put a bit of faith in the auto-correction, but I find I type about as fast on the iPhone as I used to on a Curve. I actually prefer to type in portrait mode. I think because I used to have a BB, my thumbs generally know where the keys should be in portrait. In landscape, I find myself looking at the keyboard. If you prefer landscape though, there are multiple apps available in the app store which will allow you to send email in landscape mode.

If not on BES or Exchange, email on iPhone and BB both have pluses and minuses. BB has push email with Gmail, Yahoo, and you can set a regular account to forward to the BB email address. iPhone offers push email with Yahoo only unless you get their Mobileme service, otherwise it fetches every 15 minutes at the fastest setting. If you don't mind waiting 15 minutes for your email, this is obviously a non-issue. BB has a unified mailbox which is convenient if you have multiple email accounts. iPhone syncs better with IMAP accounts. HTML mail is rendered pretty good in the recent BBs, but because there's no auto-download setting for pictures, it can get annoying if you frequently get HTML formatted email with pictures. On the other hand, iPhone automatically downloads ALL pictures, which could potentially lead to getting more spam. Both should have a setting for auto downloading of safe senders.

Although iPhone doesn't have MMS, SMS on iPhone is in a class by itself. I haven't seen anything like it in Blackberry or anything else for that matter. In iPhone, SMS is all threaded, so it's almost like IM. If you do a lot of texting to lots of people, this is almost a killer app because it allows you to keep all the individual conversations together. It's such a simple yet brilliant idea, I find it shocking that other people haven't implemented it yet.

In general, I'm happy with my iPhone and I wouldn't trade it for any of the current model BBs. There's a lifestyle choice involved in picking an iPhone over a BB. Basically, if you see your mobile device as nothing more than a communication tool and those features are of the utmost importance, then there's no question a BB on Verizon is the right choice. If being 15 minutes late with an email reply will get you fired or could potentially cost you money, then you shouldn't think twice. If missing a phone call or dropping a call could potentially have the same effects, I wouldn't settle for any other carrier than Verizon.

On the other hand, if email is more of a "I'll get to it when I get to it" kind of thing for you and you don't mind a dropped call once or twice a week, then iPhone is probably more your style. Besides the basic smartphone stuff you can listen to music, watch videos, play some games, browse the net, SMS a couple buddies, practice yoga, learn a foreign language. Sure you can do those on a BB too, but honestly, it's not as good and somethings... it's no where near as good. I once saw a review about the iPhone browser saying that a BB browser was better because you could use the trackball to highlight links. I saw that and I said to myself "man, this dude is really REALLY searching hard for a reason to hate the iPhone." There are a lot of reasons to hate the iPhone and a lot of reasons to love it. Whether you hate or love it is going basically come down to your lifestyle, what matters to you, and what you want to do. Since I don't have a Bold, I can't really comment too much about it, but here are 10 reasons to hate the iPhone (I won't comment on stuff like copy/paste, bluetooth stereo, etc., etc., that's been said ad nauseum):

1. It's a fingerprint magnet and there's really no getting around it. Get a white one, it shows less than the black.

2. Battery life is sad.... really.

3. Have to tap a lot to go back and forth between multiple email accounts.

4. Glass is kind of fragile. If you drop it on cement, expect the glass to crack.

5. No background running of 3rd party apps. That basically means that IM apps will log you out when the phone goes into stand-by mode.

6. No turn by turn directions yet for GPS apps and don't know if it will ever be available. I say this even though I would NEVER do that Telenav thing AT&T has.

7. Calendar doesn't have a "week" view.

8. Too much tapping involved to turn off things like WiFi and 3G, they should have a shortcut on the desktop.

9. Music doesn't play in stereo through the speaker. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does.

10. Needs a compass like G1.

Now here's 10 reasons to love the iPhone, and again, I'll stay away from the obvious thinks like... great browser, great music player.

1. Mobileme and Box.net. Lets me store files and retrieve them whenever I want from my iPhone. I do have some sensitive documents and I store them there instead of directly on the phone. It's not really about saving space, most of the files I store there are usually under 1M which would mean I could stick thousands on my phone. I put them there so I can have access to them wherever I am on any computer with a browser.

2. Widgets. Nobody really mentions this enough. There are apps for everything. Don't like the default weather widget? Get another one from Weather Channel or Weatherbug. Want IM? There's a dozen of 'em available. Something to update Facebook and Twitter at the same time? Shozu will do that. Want to use Skype? If you're on WiFi, Fring will do that. Sports scores? Get Sportacular. Want a map of the Seoul subway system? No problem. Translator program? Which one do you want? Control iTunes? Get Remote. Wanna use phone cards to make international calls? Smart Caller makes it easy. Wanna catch up your Shakespeare? They got that too. Wiki stuff often? There's a half dozen of 'em, pick the one that suits you best... There's thousands of things like these. I've got like 100+ apps installed on my phone. I don't use them all on a daily basis, but it's good to know that if I want it, it's there. You'll hear lots of guys saying stuff like, "most of the stuff on the app store is crap." To a certain extent, that's true. There IS a lot of crap. There's is however, a lot of useful and entertaining stuff. You ever hear a song on the radio and want to know it's title so you can get it later on iTunes? Sure it's not an "important" app, but I like it and it entertains me, and in the end, that's what matters to me. The App Store really is a game changer.

3. Easy to use UI. Once you get the hang of touching the screen, it's really intuitive. After an hour, I was better with the iPhone than I was with BB.

4. No battery pulling, ****, you can't, even if you wanted to .... regular BB users know what I'm talking about.

5. Custom fields in Contacts List. The BB has this too, but it's not as good as iPhone.

6. Build quality. Pull out the battery cover of a Curve and look at it. Pretty cheesy. I scratched mine bad and got an "OEM" replacement on eBay for $9 which included a spare battery. The replacement was perfect and I had to wonder how much the thing really cost if he could throw in a spare battery, charge $9 with free shipping, and still make money. The fake rubber coating on the top of the Curve also rubbed off after a couple months. the iPhone may be just as cheesy, but at least you don't see it.

7. The glass screen, Sure it's fragile, but it doesn't scratch like plastic either. What phone makers should do is use polycarbonate lenses with a scratch proof coating.

8. Sync with iTunes is sooooooooooo easy. Updating firmware. also easy. Loading music, videos, pictures, podcasts, all easy. I hate iTunes because it's so bloated and it's intrusive as ****, but I gotta give credit where credit is due, I didn't have to google info on updating firmware, like I had to for BB. It just does it all for you.

9. Coverflow. Yeah some dude wrote an app that acts like coverflow for BBs, but take my word for it, it's much better on iPhone.

10. The number one reason to get iPhone. Best portable pron machine EVER!!!

Dam... this is a lot longer than I had planned to write... I guess I kinda got carried away....
    12-16-08 02:14 AM
    If you don't like the bold form factor and keyboard, you're ruling out every bb - seriously, the differences are small, and the bold has one of the best bb keyboards ever. It's like saying you don't want a ferrarri as it's not quite the right shade of red...

There is of course.... the Storm....
    12-16-08 02:30 AM
    This is my first post. And I just got the Curve 8900. I have it and the keys hurt my fingers and I'm thinking about switching to an IPhone.

Honestly. I think this is the best Iphone, BB comparison post I have read ever. And I read a lot! I'm going to read it again cuz I may make the switch.

-A
    12-18-08 11:43 PM
    I had a n iphone and they just have such bad battery life and such bad email stuff, its slow i dunno i wasnt sold
    12-19-08 12:03 AM
    I had an iPhone for over a year and switched back to a blackberry. Two major reasons for me. Battery life is really bad. What's the point of having a wonderful device if it runs out by the end of the day? It's even worse if you use active sync. My worst day was about 4 hours from full to zero. It was a day of heavy use, but mostly I was on the phone.

Second reason was the phone which is poor quality. The alerts on the phone are too quiet and call quality was very very marginal.

Everything else including build quality etc is top notch. I just couldn't deal with missing important phone calls and emails because the battery was dead or the alerts werew too quiet.

Just my experience

Simply put the iphone is a great cellphone. But it can't compare right now to the utility and battery life of other types of smart phones. BB, wmo, or symbian.

12-19-08 12:31 PM
    I agree with you except the quality part. I feel the iPhone is of better quality. Glass screen, has more of a solid feel, etc... Not taking anything away from the Bold either. Love both devices.
    Definitely agreeing as well, but I was referring to the phone, making and receivng a call... having great reception. I was putting that part you stated under Design.
    12-19-08 10:44 PM
    Definitely agreeing as well, but I was referring to the phone, making and receivng a call... having great reception. I was putting that part you stated under Design.
    Ahhh, gotcha. I thought Apple did a good job of improving the phone on the 3G. I know a lot of people had issues and complaints but I didn't run into anything major.

12-20-08 10:56 AM
    Ahhh, gotcha. I thought Apple did a good job of improving the phone on the 3G. I know a lot of people had issues and complaints but I didn't run into anything major.

Not that it was bad, but it wasn't a good. My example is when I go to my local supermarket and go to the meat section. I will look at both devices and my iPhone is struggling to hold on to 3g and meanwhile my Bold is at full strength, not even close to losing a bar.

If I compare it to the 2g, then it was a heck of an improvement.
    12-20-08 11:07 AM
    I would have considered an iphone if it wasnt AT&T. I had 2 years of AT&T and while I didnt think it was that bad at the time, it wasnt until I had Verizon I realized how bad it was.

The primary purpose is a phone. Thats what it is. If the phone part sucks, that ruins the point of the device
    12-20-08 11:19 AM
    I would have considered an iphone if it wasnt AT&T. I had 2 years of AT&T and while I didnt think it was that bad at the time, it wasnt until I had Verizon I realized how bad it was.

The primary purpose is a phone. Thats what it is. If the phone part sucks, that ruins the point of the device
    True... that is what I love about the NYC/NJ market I live in. All services are pretty damn good.
    12-20-08 06:33 PM
    I have a close friend with an iphone and the problems seem to outweigh the benefits. I know I wouldn't want to pay extra money for an iphone and have to deal with them. I mean, my wife just got the Curve 8330 for free(with 2 year etc)! I haven't seen any iphone deals that can touch that. Then you are locked in to only 1 carrier(AT&T) and their coverage and rates. And if you are a heavy user of SMS(texting) you will get snookered into even higher service costs. My friend falls into that category, so in 12 months he will pay an extra $240 for the privilege of having his iphone, on top of much higher purchase costs. Sure there are ways around it(AIM etc) but they are clunky and defeat the convenience aspect.

Memory/storage capacity is in favor of a BB, imo. Iphone is either 8 or 16gb...forever. BB's can increase their capacity to match that and beyond. And since its removable you can carry multiple cards. Online storage seems clunky to me. What do you do when you don't have service? And you have to download it each time you need it. So much for time savings.

The iphone has a bigger and better screen than my curve. But bigger is not always better. I want my phone to fit comfortably in my pocket. And the iphone is on the heavy side too. All that screen real estate comes at a cost...power consumption(as mentioned). I mean honestly, if it doesn't have power to perform anything, its useless(paper weight). And if its forcing you to adjust your life just to keep it fed, its a hindrance. What's the point of calling/texting someone who's phone is dead half the time? Annoying for contactee and contator.

Browser, hands down iphone wins. Period.

As a communications device, the iphone is pretty poor. BB on the other hand is stellar. I have nearly every mode and app of communication on mine, half are connected all the time and my battery can last for days. And BB messenger is amazing.

As a pda I think the BB is well ahead also. Both have apps but the text capability limitations(no copy/paste) of the iphone hurt you in so many areas its a major strike. And the BB way of doing things is sooo intuitive it can be ridiculously easy at times. It was made/born for texting and multitasking.

As far as media player status goes, the iphone IS better...BUT, I have to say I am very impressed with my Curve's stock abilities as well. I really am not missing out on much, imo. Not to mention the fact that I am not locked into drm music and itunes. You like a song of mine? I can give it to you over bluetooth...IF you have a Blackberry! lol No can do with itunes media. Plus, apple has strict control over the apps whereas BB has more open licensing. Some can argue its safer to have control, but all you need for your BB is available from trusted sources so its hardly an issue, imo. And why would you want apple controlling what you can and can't do/have?

And my appeal to authority: there is a reason why the Bolds and Curves of the world regularly outscore the iphone on review sites.

12-27-08 02:00 AM
    I'll tell you what. I debated and argued amongst myself for quite awhile between the two before I decided upon a blackberry pearl.

One-there was a GREAT deal and so I got a **** of a price on it, damn near got a free berry really...and I agree with the at&t=**** thing, and I've never had a problem with US Cellular and was happy to stick with it.

TWO-I've talked to people who have had one and a friend has the other, and in the end it seems user wise the person with the iphone was frustrated and the person with the berry was ultimately happier.

Three-I kind of agree with that last statement, there has to be a reason it generally gets better reviews...i mean come on.
    12-27-08 03:36 AM
    Update: my friend officially hates his iphone. He had an issue where it would not turn on. Then one where he was receiving calls but could not answer them. This is in addition to all the previously mentioned problems/issues.

12-30-08 12:20 AM

Hey, um...just so you know...you could purchase an ipoopd (iPhone) and unlock it to T-Mobile if you want it.

Check out Apple News | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, More

They will be releasing a 3g hack by the end of the year...tee hee hee, pretty much tomorrow night.

Sorry to hear you want to join the Apple nation...but go in peace my son...go......in peace (sniff)
    12-30-08 12:42 AM
    Blackberries and iphones are coming from different directions, so just try them and see which one works for you.
    I was going to get an iphone 3g even though the touch screen interface was totally underwhelming compared to the hype (still better than winmo)
    A blackberry wasn't an option due to lack of 3g and wifi. Then I found the bold and all was good.
    Most folk only need to spend 5 minutes each with a bold and and iphone 3g to know which one Is for them - just try them both!

12-30-08 02:00 AM
    I, too, am considering crossing over to the Dark Side. This change comes not from dissatisfaction with the 8310 Curve (AT&T), but the need for something more. My wife and I have both had the Curve for a year now, and her LCD just died and my Curve seems to have reached its limit as far as apps, etc that I can toy around with. We've loved our phones during the past year, especially after upgrading from crappy MetroPCS phones. However, I've grown bored with my Curve and want to go full-touchscreen. With a year left on my contract, I have no intention of paying AT&T to cancel and then shelling out more money to buy the Storm on Verizon. I'd rather renew my contract and switch over to an iPhone3G.

The iPhone was what initially encouraged me to finally join the smartphone era a year ago, but I couldn't afford it at the time, I completely distrusted Apple after 4 broken iPods, and I found an amazing deal at NewEgg.com for two free Curves w/contract. I had reluctantly wandered into an Apple store at the mall while my wife was clothes-shopping, and I was really impressed with how sleek everything on the iPhone was. With all the capabilities it had, I knew I had to ditch my lousy phone and get with the times.

For the past year, I've loved having the internet in my pocket wherever I go. No matter where I am, I get my emails and since I'm an information junkie, I'm constantly pulling up the browser to research all kinds of stuff. Unfortunately, I've grown bored with the Curve and all the clunky apps. I love the push email and Gmail, but I hate Opera (and the BB browser even moreso). I'm never one to complain about battery life and phone service - in my opinion, the quality of these two things have never improved on any phone or carrier in 20 years. I just want something a little more sleek and user-friendly.

I'm not making any final decisions for another few weeks, but I'm going to continue watching these forums and similar discussions to try and get a completely informed opinion on which way I should go on the matter.
    12-30-08 08:35 AM
    I keep reading threads that say with an iphone you are linked to AT&T? Why are you? Just buy an unlocked iphone off ebay or direct from Orange in France and put in any sim card you like. I got an unlocked one for my girlfriend and she is thrilled. Setting up her iphone was a breeze. With all the Wifi problems the Bold has I am at my witts end. Getting really sick of it. Seriously considering an iphone as unlike my Bold it actually does what it says on the tin. This is my first Blackberry, I am massively disappointed. It seems it is designed for people with a PHD in IT. Others need not apply
    12-30-08 12:34 PM
    I've tried to use the iphone twice and have ended up moving back to the blackberry both times. The iPhone is a great device. Safari is the best mobile browser on a cell phone now, the apps are a lot of fun, and to be honest it kinda has a cool factor to it, but in the end it just isn't reliable enough for me to use. The email is nowhere near as good as a blackberry and no matter what people say the virtual keyboard isn't as fast as a physical one. People say that they get used to it, which they probably do, but to me a physical keyboard will always be faster. When it comes down to it what do you really need a device to do. I like knowing that my blackberry can last me all day, and when I send an email,text, or a picture message (haha) I can rest assured that it will be sent, which is something I can't say for the iphone. Lastly while the iPhone is cool its becoming another Razr. It used to be a little bit exclusive to own and iPhone, but now everyone has one. All in all the iphone is great, but I will always need a blackberry.
    12-31-08 09:44 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD