I am so excited, I am getting the 16Gb as soon as they get it in.
    The information between the 8 and 16 is conflicting, my guess is ATT web page is not updated, my husband got the 8 already.

Will my e-mail go to Iphone AND my home computer, I am sure I can turn it off on phone but does anybody know if it will go to 2 places?
    Is there an app so my local radar will load faster?
    Thanks.
    07-20-09 10:36 AM
    The information between the 8 and 16 is conflicting, my guess is ATT web page is not updated, my husband got the 8 already.

Will my e-mail go to Iphone AND my home computer, I am sure I can turn it off on phone but does anybody know if it will go to 2 places?
    Thanks.
    You are getting the 3G and not the 3GS I am guessing because of the 8 and 16 G, so there is no way to load faster other than having a 3GS. Email will go to your phone only if you set up your phone to receive email, so yes it can go to two places. As an FYI the iPhone doesn't have an email address like a BB does on the BIS.
    07-20-09 10:54 AM
    The 16GB is a GS.
    I know about the difference on BB (too bad), I think I can live with it if I could just turn off the e-mail on the phone?? would it come to my computer. Thanks
    07-20-09 11:14 AM
    What type of email are you using? Generally since the iPhone draws emails from the server, they would be received on your main client first and then sent to the iPhone. I don't think there is a way to allow the iPhone to receive messages before your client receives them so that you can only send them to the phone and not to the client on your PC.

I don't know why you would want to turn off email on the phone -- the email client is one of the phone's integral features.
    07-20-09 11:22 AM

Thanks.
    So a bit confused, but I'll try to answer if you can give me some more information:

Are you getting the 16Gb 3GS or the 16Gb 3G? You said your husband is on the 8Gb, so we know he's likely using the 3G. What is the information between the devices that is conflicting? The 3GS 16Gb & the 3G 8Gb are different phones.

What email service are you using? Do you want it to just goto your computer? Or do you want it to go both places?

And App for local .. radar? Im assuming you mean your weather?
    07-20-09 11:42 AM
    If you don't want email sent to your phone. Just don't configure the email when setting the phone up. As stated above, the email on the iPhone is great....especially when compared to BB!! I left the Storm for the new 3G S and LOVE IT!! Blackberry has a LONG way to go before they can touch the iPhone.
    07-20-09 12:06 PM
    I would only want to receive my e-mail (windows mail) =through local server,
    when I am away, rarely, since it is too hard for me to read it on the phone and I would like to keep them on my computer, if this does not work I will just check phone through web mail and not have it go through the phone at all.

I am getting the 16GB 3GS, sorry for the confusion
    One thing I will use a lot is the radar from our local tv station, it is excellent and sometimes I am 30 min from the house but I really need to know which direction the rain is headed, it loads fine but of course not like DSL and the store had mentioned something, but they might have misunderstood my needs.

It would be great if the e-mail went to both places.
    07-20-09 12:07 PM
    I called to ask and it should go to both places, I will send a mail to check, she said I could set the phone to mail on demand only so that would work for not getting ANY unwanted on the phone, I know my life is different than most of you, but I am on Facebook
    07-20-09 12:20 PM

It would be great if the e-mail went to both places.
    The email will be sent to your web acct first then forwarded to your phone. Yahoo mail is great on the iPhone. It lets you manage your folders, etc and the only one that is "pushed" right now making it more real time. Pushed means that when mail comes in the Yahoo acct it will be automatically sent to your phone. Gmail and hotmail are fetched which means your phone will check for mail every 15 mins or whatever time frame you set it to.

What type of phone are you using now?
    07-20-09 12:20 PM
    I will keep my Startac also.
    I know the Iphone is much better now but when I had to evacuate for 3 weeks there were other people with Iphone that had no working phone, I think they said (the phone just blew up) unusable, I seldom use my phone but when I need it, I need it.

for now it seems the e-mail is going to the computer unless you ask for it on the Iphone, this will work just fine for me.

I have Yahoo and msn e-mail also, but I have gone from hundreds of mail per day to very few, I do believe this way it works now will be just fine.
    I will know in a few minutes where excactly 4 mails from 7-20 went, thanks so much, I have a LOT to learn.

In windows, I can Uncheck----check for mail every ? minutes, then it goes to Iphone. I think

My phone is in, she says mail is supposed to go to both places, either way, I know I have some options and I will check with my provider.
    Last edited by StarTac; 07-20-09 at 01:24 PM. Reason: more
    07-20-09 12:51 PM
    I see what part of the problem is, when we got these phones they were set to self delete, this happens 2 seconds after opening an e mail, I have changed setting and will try again
    07-20-09 04:54 PM
    ok for yahoo and gmail it will send to both places but if you delete on phone it deletes on comp and vice versa.

and whether since its the 16gb 3gs since they are no longer making the 16gb 3g. unless your buying a refurb or leftover.

and the location radar for maps i assume?? if location services are on niether will load it faster because its a matter of the gps sending and recieving the signal apps cannot affect the functionality unless you jailbreak
    07-20-09 10:21 PM
    "ok for yahoo and gmail it will send to both places but if you delete on phone it deletes on comp and vice versa."
    Thanks, I had heard something like that.
    My problem is temporarily solved by talking to my internet provider, and he will not leave me stranded, I use Vista mail and for this to work mail needs to be stored somewhere, same if I used laptop instead or also. I was a little surprised AT&T does not have a solution?
    Anybody else using Outlook or windows mail?
    I absolutely love this phone, yes I need to keep glasses handy but that is life, sometimes I can text like I have done it forever and sometimes not so good
    About the radar, any web pages seems to load much faster than the 8gb, I have no idea why, I have a 3GS 16GB, I hope I would have been told if it was refurbished, The only difference I was told $100 more for the 32GB, so the prices go 99,199 and 299, I have camera and video.

The "S" is why my Iphone is faster!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by StarTac; 07-22-09 at 03:32 PM. Reason: a thought
    07-22-09 03:28 PM
    "ok for yahoo and gmail it will send to both places but if you delete on phone it deletes on comp and vice versa."
    Thanks, I had heard something like that.
    My problem is temporarily solved by talking to my internet provider, and he will not leave me stranded, I use Vista mail and for this to work mail needs to be stored somewhere, same if I used laptop instead or also. I was a little surprised AT&T does not have a solution?
    Anybody else using Outlook or windows mail?
    I absolutely love this phone, yes I need to keep glasses handy but that is life, sometimes I can text like I have done it forever and sometimes not so good
    About the radar, any web pages seems to load much faster than the 8gb, I have no idea why, I have a 3GS 16GB, I hope I would have been told if it was refurbished, The only difference I was told $100 more for the 32GB, so the prices go 99,199 and 299, I have camera and video.

The "S" is why my Iphone is faster!!!!!!!!!!
    the 8gb is only available as 3g and you have a 3gs

3g has 433mhz processors with 128mb of ram

3gs has 800 or 600 mhz processor with 256mb of ram.

web pages and apps will all load faster than the 3g on the 3gs. if you paid 199 you got a new one. if it came in the iphone box its new it would come in a regular box if it were a refurb.

basically its 100 bux for 8gb 3g
    199 for 16gb 3gs
    299 32gb 3gs
    all are new.
    07-22-09 11:12 PM
    Thanks
    Where can I find more information on how to use this camera, for example I see the little square, but not sure excactly how to operate, apple.com is good but I need more.
    07-22-09 11:37 PM
    Thanks
    Where can I find more information on how to use this camera, for example I see the little square, but not sure excactly how to operate, apple.com is good but I need more.
    it will autofocus on different objects with the computer trying to recognize an object.

other wise tap where you want it to focus if multiple objects are present tap on the are you want to focus on.

you can always try youtube and search for how to use 3gs autofocus camera
    07-23-09 12:18 AM
    This time I tried it on dogs on the floor, still can't say it was necessarily focusing but the pic got lighter, I will keep on practising.

Youtube wow, I forgot to check there, I found the NEATEST thing for me in settings, General-Accessibility-Zoom
    this exactly what I was looking for, now if I don't have glasses handy I can read a text message without problem, This phone blows me away

It even works on keyboard if necessary
    Last edited by StarTac; 07-23-09 at 11:11 AM. Reason: more
    07-23-09 11:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD