http://www.tipb.com/2011/07/31/florida-school-scrapping-textbooks-rolling-ipads-students/

Lake Minneola High School has adopted the iPad as its future learning device of choice. When students return next month they will have access to a shiny new iPad for school time and home use. Lake Minneola will be the first public school in Central Florida to buy Apples iconic tablet for all of its students.

�Students learn differently now because of the technology,� said Kathy Halbig, innovative learning manager for the Lake school district who is overseeing the project. �Students are used to having multiple sources and being able to have more social collaboration in their learning process rather than just doing it sitting quietly and reading.� �Rather than have a child have five tools on his or her desk they�ve got one tool that will function as the textbook, the Slate, the Internet access, note taker, calendar,� she said.
    The school has invested around $700,000 buying up 1750 iPads for its students. Teachers are already planning lessons using the iPad as the focal point complete with selected educational apps. The school believes that it will save them money in the long term.
    The iPads will be locked down to prevent students installing apps that are not appropriate to the school learning process. Each iPad will also be supplied with a rugged case to protect it from everyday school life.

[Orlando Sentinel]
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-11 06:45 AM
    Makes sense.

One device for all the students assignments/projects and books
    Then backed up in icloud.

I like it.
    07-31-11 08:49 AM
    It's a good idea, I'm skeptical about how many of the iPads will make it through the school year though.
    07-31-11 09:05 AM
    I think it's not a bad investment considering each book is probably $40-60 bucks a pop and when you probably have about five or six of them, that's about $200 or $300 bucks per student, plus having to renew the books every year if they are bad or something. This way, you can keep the material relevant, and if they got iPad 1s, then they are saving too because it's cheaper than the 2.
    07-31-11 01:36 PM
    i did a news story at my college last year about that very thing. they give out 5 ipads a year to faculty to see if it can adapt to their classes.

i think it a great platform, but the lack of flash and stuff was a turn off for most teachers.
    07-31-11 02:28 PM
    i did a news story at my college last year about that very thing. they give out 5 ipads a year to faculty to see if it can adapt to their classes.

i think it a great platform, but the lack of flash and stuff was a turn off for most teachers.

My kids go to a laptop required school.
    This would be better than tablets I think.
    07-31-11 02:42 PM
    Dude so many kids are going to be ichating

07-31-11 06:15 PM
    Dude so many kids are going to be ichating

And breaking their iPads.
    07-31-11 06:17 PM
    Yeah but my school district was FIRST.....

Danville dumps textbooks for iPads - 13 WTHR
    07-31-11 08:14 PM
    And breaking their iPads.
    Isn't there likely to be some insurance policy in place? Or, a refundable deposit that parents will have to pay?

07-31-11 10:39 PM
    Isn't there likely to be some insurance policy in place? Or, a refundable deposit that parents will have to pay?

I'd hope so. THe high school that I went to implemented a MacBook per student program, and they all had to pay a security deposit every year
    08-01-11 04:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD