Father of webOS notifications leaves for Apple.

The man who "Invented the non-intrusive banner notification system used in webOS" and also did all sorts of other work for the OS, Rich Dellinger, is leaving Palm to return to his earlier employer, Apple, as a Senior User Interface Designer. Per his LinkedIn page (where we learned about the switch), Dellinger's other work included:

Acted as visual designer, interaction designer, and engineer on Palm webOS.

Co-developed the Application Framework used by webOS. Created the CSS structure and defined HTML layout and structure conventions in Mojo Application Framework, and for core Palm applications.

Co-invented software and hardware interaction models for a new generation of Linux-based, Palm-branded mobile devices.

Delliger represents the latest in what could be called a minor brain drain at Palm after SVP of Software and services Mike Abbot left to join Twitter and the main designer for webOS, Matias Duarte left to join up with Android. We wish Dellinger the best of luck at Apple.

Meanwhile, we feel that webOS has a pretty strong design foundation, so it's not time to panic about employees leaving the company ....yet.
    Game over Google and RIM.
    06-09-10 01:43 PM
    I hope he does something to improve the notification system. That is something that definitely needs some work.
    06-09-10 02:19 PM
    I hope he does something to improve the notification system. That is something that definitely needs some work.
    06-09-10 02:28 PM
    How is this game over for Google and RIM? Both of their notification systems are leaps ahead of the iphone. And Google's is years ahead of anybody elses on the market. I get the excitement but to say its gonna kill those platforms is just ridiculous. Especially if you consider the amount of market gain the Google has gained since November.
    06-09-10 09:21 PM
    Apple is already above RIM and Google in terms of the best overall smartphone (sales by one smartphone device without a bogo), this will only add to their lead. I was shocked and disappointed with the Moto Droid, but competition is good. To this day no device has matched the fit and finish, but competition is good. With notifications getting a much needed improvement it will only makes things better.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-09-10 at 10:08 PM.
    06-09-10 10:06 PM
    Apple is already above RIM and Google in terms of the best overall smartphone (sales by one smartphone device without a bogo), this will only add to their lead. I was shocked and disappointed with the Moto Droid, but competition is good. To this day no device has matched the fit and finish, but competition is good. With notifications getting a much needed improvement it will only makes things better.
    I will take an open source google device over a lockdown apple device any day of the week. RIM still holds the most market share, and even though I am not a fan they will always have a place in government and big business. Google will catch and pass Apple rather quickly unless Apple goes multi carrier, and even then Google may catch them. Look at the ground google made up since the launch of the Droid 7 months ago. Not bad considering Apple had a 2 and a half year head start.

But I do agree competition is what is best for the consumer
    06-09-10 10:15 PM
    iPhone 4 is going to kill any Android phone hands down. And as far as market share goes, as soon as the iPhone is on VZW it really is game over for RIM and Google in the consumer market. RIM will always have the corporate world but Google is in real trouble as they don't even have that.
    06-09-10 10:27 PM
    I will take an open source google device over a lockdown apple device any day of the week. RIM still holds the most market share, and even though I am not a fan they will always have a place in government and big business. Google will catch and pass Apple rather quickly unless Apple goes multi carrier, and even then Google may catch them. Look at the ground google made up since the launch of the Droid 7 months ago. Not bad considering Apple had a 2 and a half year head start.

But I do agree competition is what is best for the consumer
    I agree for the most part, but right when Google gets close, and they will, Apple will go to Verizon, Spring and T-Mobile. It will truly be game over for Google, they are barely catching up with multiple devices on multiple carriers as compared to ONE device on ONE carrier.
    Google and RIM better hope the iPhone doesn't go to more than one carrier , they basically have until June of 2011 to catch up, which will get them closer but won't happen.

Right now Google is doing well, but that will all change next year with the 2011 iPhone HD LTE.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-09-10 at 10:35 PM.
    06-09-10 10:33 PM
    iPhone 4 is going to kill any Android phone hands down. And as far as market share goes, as soon as the iPhone is on VZW it really is game over for RIM and Google in the consumer market. RIM will always have the corporate world but Google is in real trouble as they don't even have that.
    The thing that sets Google apart is Open Source and the customization of it. Android OS will never die. It has more functionality out of the box than any other phone out there. iPhone 4 is playing catch up in terms of processor, screen, and camera so to say it is going to kill any Android phone is a stretch. And lets not forget how bland the iPhone OS is. It took 2 years to get copy/paste, and 3 years to get multitasking, and a unified inbox.
    Last edited by Lynx83; 06-10-10 at 07:31 AM.
    06-10-10 07:27 AM
    It's not about the hardware, it's about the user experience.. it's been so since 2007 wow. People just don't get it. Camry's are as bland as can be.. wait they don't stop.. bad example. Accord's are as bland as can be, yet people still buy them by the boatloads, why, user experience. It doesn't have a craptastic Hemi V whatever.. it doesn't have the many "hardware" features the small amount of people in the world care about, it just runs!

Google is going after the 5% of techies out there(which they should). Apple is going after the 95% normal folk out there.

Apple is like BASF, we don't invent the product, cut copy and paste, multitasking.. we make them the best!
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-10-10 at 08:12 AM.
    06-10-10 08:10 AM
    People keep thinking it's always about having the best specs and that's simply not always the case. Even with a slower processor the iPhone was smoother than Android phones. I mean Android isn't as choppy as it was but iPhone always had the better user experience. A Windows-based PC will always out-of-the-box have higher specs and more capabilities over a macbook but I won't have to worry about maintenance on my macbook and it freezing occasionally, etc... That's just as example that it's not always about specs. Yes it's good to have those specs but if the user experience is not up to par, I don't care. I actually like Android, but I still have some gripes about the OS. I don't care about customization. That's pointless to me. Too menu heavy, fragmented and support isn't consistent across devices.

Android isn't going anywere but if Apple drops a device next year on more than one carrier it's going to be tough for anyone to catch them. According to the report earlier this week, they have 7% less market share than RIM with 35% and google has 9%. If Apple were on just one other carrier, it would easily overtake RIM and not only have the best selling device of all time, but have the most market share, probably by a wide margin. Until then, I enjoy the competition because it pushes the companies to do better for us.
    06-10-10 08:24 AM
    The thing that sets Google apart is Open Source and the customization of it. Android OS will never die. It has more functionality out of the box than any other phone out there. iPhone 4 is playing catch up in terms of processor, screen, and camera so to say it is going to kill any Android phone is a stretch. And lets not forget how bland the iPhone OS is. It took 2 years to get copy/paste, and 3 years to get multitasking, and a unified inbox.
    The problem you run into there is that you assume that the average person cares whether the phone software is open source or not or the level of customization that is available. The average user couldn't tell you what open source is if you held a gun to their head and the same amount don't customize their phone too much outside of how it comes out of the box.

The simplicity and style that comes along with the iPhone, on top of the fact that it was the first smart phone specifically geared towards the general public, is the reason why it is as strong as it is. Once they get the LTE version of that thing out in the next year or so, Apple's dominance in the market will only be solidified. There will always be a market for Google, RIM, and WM devices (thanks for playing, Palm), but Apple is going to be the clear cut leader for the foreseeable future.
    06-10-10 09:21 AM
    The new Corvette ZO6 has godly specs, but it started breaking down after 3 days of road testing.
    06-10-10 09:54 AM
    Once they get the LTE version of that thing out in the next year or so, Apple's dominance in the market will only be solidified. There will always be a market for Google, RIM, and WM devices (thanks for playing, Palm), but Apple is going to be the clear cut leader for the foreseeable future.
    This is what I'm trying to say and could have if not for pissing my education away lol. I am 100% convinced Verizon will see the iPhone next year no doubt about it. It is all about LTE right now with Apple and Verizon. I can hear a back room conversation going like this...

how much LTE coverage do you have
    5%
    Let us know when you get to 25%
    Summer 2011
    Great see you then.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 06-10-10 at 09:59 AM.
    06-10-10 09:56 AM
    It's not about the hardware, it's about the user experience.. it's been so since 2007 wow. People just don't get it. Camry's are as bland as can be.. wait they don't stop.. bad example. Accord's are as bland as can be, yet people still buy them by the boatloads, why, user experience. It doesn't have a craptastic Hemi V whatever.. it doesn't have the many "hardware" features the small amount of people in the world care about, it just runs!

Google is going after the 5% of techies out there(which they should). Apple is going after the 95% normal folk out there.

Apple is like BASF, we don't invent the product, cut copy and paste, multitasking.. we make them the best!
    See this is the thing im talking about. They keep putting out the same product, and eventually somebody will make a better product. You pointed out Toyota and Honda, for years they were the best car(s) of their class. But now you have the Nissan Altima (Consumer Reports car of the year) and Ford Fusion (Car and Driver Car of the year). Why did those two companies come and steal the spotlight? They changed it up.

I am not against Apple at all, in fact I love my macbook. But to think that Apple will simply run away with the smartphone market just isn't logical thought. RIM had it locked down for years, but they never changed up the OS and now they are losing ground to Apple. The same could happen to Apple. The best indicator of the future is the past.
    06-10-10 10:10 AM
    See this is the thing im talking about. They keep putting out the same product, and eventually somebody will make a better product. You pointed out Toyota and Honda, for years they were the best car(s) of their class. But now you have the Nissan Altima (Consumer Reports car of the year) and Ford Fusion (Car and Driver Car of the year). Why did those two companies come and steal the spotlight? They changed it up.

I am not against Apple at all, in fact I love my macbook. But to think that Apple will simply run away with the smartphone market just isn't logical thought. RIM had it locked down for years, but they never changed up the OS and now they are losing ground to Apple. The same could happen to Apple. The best indicator of the future is the past.
    But you're assuming that Apple will never do anything innovative. I highly doubt that. The iPhone brand has been out for 3 years. That is not a long time. And if anyone thinks a company should reinvent themselves every year, they are kidding themselves. The difference between Apple and RIM is that RIM's OS has basically been the same for 7+ years. Of course improvements here and there and UI enhancements, but basically the same. If Apple stays like this for 5+ years, then we'll have something to talk about. But 3 years is too soon.

Google isn't recreating everything Android. They occasionally update the OS to the next decimal to include newer features and tweaks, but that's it. The hardware part is another company like HTC whose been making hardware like that for year for devices in other countries. And since Android came out after iPhone and everyone else, they could see what was out there and what can be made better. That's an advantage to late entry.... economics 101. Apple is a tech company and they know they have to make changes eventually. Their OS for their computers have been changed over years and I'd expect them to do the same for their mobile platform. But 3 years, come on..... that's the problem with people. So impatient and they because they are tired of something, everyone else is. Let's see how many people are tired when over 1 million people pre-order it on June 15th.
    06-10-10 10:24 AM
    And I hope someone does come and make a better product. I'll gladly move from iPhone to it just like I moved from blackberry to iPhone. If it's better I'm using it. Until then.....
    06-10-10 10:25 AM
    But you're assuming that Apple will never do anything innovative. I highly doubt that. The iPhone brand has been out for 3 years. That is not a long time. And if anyone thinks a company should reinvent themselves every year, they are kidding themselves. The difference between Apple and RIM is that RIM's OS has basically been the same for 7+ years. Of course improvements here and there and UI enhancements, but basically the same. If Apple stays like this for 5+ years, then we'll have something to talk about. But 3 years is too soon.

Google isn't recreating everything Android. They occasionally update the OS to the next decimal to include newer features and tweaks, but that's it. The hardware part is another company like HTC whose been making hardware like that for year for devices in other countries. And since Android came out after iPhone and everyone else, they could see what was out there and what can be made better. That's an advantage to late entry.... economics 101. Apple is a tech company and they know they have to make changes eventually. Their OS for their computers have been changed over years and I'd expect them to do the same for their mobile platform. But 3 years, come on..... that's the problem with people. So impatient and they because they are tired of something, everyone else is. Let's see how many people are tired when over 1 million people pre-order it on June 15th.
    I am not saying they wont, but to slam Google for making an occasional update to the next decimal is funny. Max OS X came out it 2001. They haven't changed anything major in it since than. So what makes you so sure that the iPhone OS will be drastically changed?

Also note that sales dont mean a product is better. PCs outsell Macs exponentially every year but it does not mean they are better.
    Last edited by Lynx83; 06-10-10 at 11:00 AM.
    06-10-10 10:38 AM
    I am not saying they wont but to slam Google for making an occasional update to the next decimal is funny. Max OS X came out it 2001. They haven't changed anything major in it since than. So what makes you so sure that the iPhone OS will be drastically changed?
    No one slammed google. I'm just stating what they have done to also show that they haven't overhauled anything. And to expect them to so soon would be ridiculous as well. I like Android but don't act like they have re-created Android with every update because they didn't and I wouldn't expect them to. And iOS doesn't need a "drastic" change 3 years into existence. 3 years is nothing for a new brand. It takes companies a long time to develop an OS and support it. And it takes years for it to saturate the market. They want to give it proper time to saturate the market before they completely change it. Like I said, see what happens after 5 years and see how far the OS has come.

The iPhone isn't on every carrier so it would also be foolish to think they would completely change their OS before it's readily available to the masses. Other than that, anyone that would complain that Apple and/or Google needs to drastically change their OS in such a short period of time is making foolish statements. RIM is awhole different story.

And OSX has had 7 upgrades since it came out with new features and UI enhancements and the 10th OS for Macs. How many times do you expect a company to change an OS? Only companies that completely change an OS is when what they have isn't working. e.g. PalmOS and Windows mobile. What, just because a company changes the name it means it was overhauled? How many Windows changes has their been since 2000? Windows 7 is only out because Vista was crap.

Like I said, anyone expecting a major overhaul or drastic change in short periods of time is kidding themselves and expectations are not realistic. This goes for Apple and any other company. It's not about the drastic changes, it's about the improvements and UI enhancements. OS "overhauls" (Mobile or not) are done over a longer period of time and not every 2 years.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 06-10-10 at 11:08 AM.
    06-10-10 10:57 AM
    Winning car of the years does not translate into best selling cars, thus my point.
    06-10-10 11:15 AM
    Winning car of the years does not translate into best selling cars, thus my point.
    Best selling car doesn't equal the best made care... thus my point
    06-10-10 11:30 AM
    Best selling car doesn't equal the best made care... thus my point
    Correct , but it does translate on what the general public likes the best. Thus mind share, market share etc. etc. lol, I'm so ********.
    06-10-10 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD