I didn't think there was anything too amazing shown off today, but the one thing that I really liked hearing about was "Apple Pay."

The annoyance for me is that BlackBerry has been working on NFC payments for a long time now, and it doesn't seem like they've done much with it (at least, media wise). I remember seeing the CIBC app do the Tim Horton's purchase and thought there would be a lot more happening after that, but there really hasn't. I'm sure that, behind the scenes, they are still working on it, and i'm hoping that on the 24th, they mention something. I'd be REALLY happy if, in conjunction with NFC payments, they continued development on the Cardholder app that we saw glimpses of, but i'm not holding my breath.

Any other features or services that you are expecting/hoping for, now that we've seen what Apple has to offer?
    09-09-14 03:58 PM
    NFC payments are already available for at least 2 major banks in Canada.

Scotia (along with a secure NFC Rogers SIM) has their Visa cards available for NFC payments, CIBC has cards too.

The issue holding up adoption is the fact that you need to be on a specific provider to (with the appropriate NFC SIM) for it to work. The credit card info needs to be stored there.
    09-09-14 04:03 PM
    In theory it should make NFC more prevalent so you can use your BB device in more places. It may not be as convenient as Touch ID but it should still work.
    09-09-14 04:12 PM
    I was thinking the same thing, although I do like the watch idea. I hate having to take my phone out for everything. They did a nice job, but still not something I'll rock.

BB needs to get crackin' on that NFC because its been sitting there idle with so much potential...
    09-09-14 04:12 PM
    All I can say is storing your credit card and debit card info on the iPhone, that will rely on Find my Phone for security if it gets lost ( same way that hackers got to the iCloud) partnering with Target and Starbucks that had security breaches. What could go wrong there?
    Expectations of BlackBerry now that new iPhone/iOS is here-img_20140909_150803.png

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-09-14 04:17 PM
    We can't compete with the Iphone. That is the reality. Also sorry for being an absolute Debbie downer, but why the hell would I want NFC in my BlackBerry; if very few to no developers will enable their payment service for my device?
    It is time to admit it any BlackBerry device is absolutely DOA. The moment it's released.

Will I have NFC support for Wells Fargo?
    Bank of America?
    Starbucks?
    Any major retailer in the US?
    I bet you they will for Apple an d perhaps android in no time.
    But Blackberry? Good luck with that.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    WanShark69 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-09-14 04:35 PM
    All I can say is storing your credit card and debit card info on the iPhone, that will rely on Find my Phone for security if it gets lost ( same way that hackers got to the iCloud) partnering with Target and Starbucks that had security breaches. What could go wrong there?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140909_150803.png 
Views:	1999 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	296792

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    Reading into what was said, the phone doesn't store your card details. It give you a unique ID based on your card.

All they'll have is your Apple Pay ID but zero finger print to pay with it. I actually quite liked it's implementation on apps, much like what Samsung tried to achieve with PayPal and it's finger print scanner.
    09-09-14 04:39 PM
    Reading into what was said, the phone doesn't store your card details. It give you a unique ID based on your card.

All they'll have is your Apple Pay ID but zero finger print to pay with it. I actually quite liked it's implementation on apps, much like what Samsung tried to achieve with PayPal and it's finger print scanner.
    I know. I read the articles etc. Just having some humor here.

Honestly, I find NFC on my BlackBerry useful with smart tags and file sharing, and not just between BlackBerrys but with Androids too. Wondering if we can now share files with iPhone users by NFC now? I will stick with the old school method and carry my cards on me and not on my phone.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-09-14 06:51 PM
    Seriously? Nothing has happened with nfc payments from blackberry. I waited a long time for them to take advantage of the gap in the market and saw they did nothing. If apple shakes it up then blackberry can only blame themselves for not taking the plunge

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    sentimentGX4, JeepBB and Rello like this.
    09-09-14 08:01 PM
    BB doesn't have the marketshare to bring large partners aboard. Android really doesn't either with its many models of phones and different NFC chips.
    09-09-14 09:12 PM
    NFC is something that BlackBerry should have pioneered. Partnering with a major credit processor and/or pin pad manufacturer to push the technology. Probably in fact creating a company that licenses this to for others to use; or otherwise collects access fees. For NFC to become widespread in the payment arena, some seller will need to the value (not the novelty) in it. I think there can be a lot of uses for it but until someone (and not the phone manufacturer) adopts it on a widespread basis, it will languish and die ( much like the infrared communications of the past).

In Europe, where chip enabled cards are required adoption is likely quick but in the US adoption won't happen until something prompts it's adoption by businesses and it's requirement by consumers.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 09:37 PM
    Why NFC hasn't taken off until now.

BB and Android have had NFC for several years already, but retailers have been slow to adopt the technology. There are some notable exceptions, such as Starbucks, 7-Eleven, McDonald's, Tim Horton's, etc. but the simple fact is that these are but a tiny fraction of retailers. But all of that is about to change, and that's why Apple is finally integrating NFC into the iPhone.

So, what was the holdup? Believe it or not, it had nothing to do with whether Apple had or didn't have NFC. The real reason is because no one has wanted to pay to upgrade a hundred million POS terminals, so the credit card companies pushed the costs onto banks and retailers, while banks wanted credit card companies or retailers to pay, and retailers wanted credit card companies and banks to pay. That "Mexican stand-off" meant that, for years, nothing has been done.

But, finally, Congress took some action, with all of these high-profile hacks and losses (the Target breech in particular), and have shifted the responsibility of paying for the fraud that comes from poor security off of the consumer and on to the bank, credit card company, or retailer (whoever's security failed). This has finally gotten everyone moving forward, because that new law goes into effect soon, and magnetic-strip technology is just far too easy to fool. That's why the US is finally moving to "smart" credit cards with two-step security. This massive shift away from mag-strip technology means that all those old credit card terminals must be replaced over the next year or so, and if they have to get new terminals anyway, adding NFC support to them is a relatively trivial additional cost.

Thus, over the next 18 months, you'll start to see NFC support popping up almost everywhere. New terminals will almost all have it, and that in turn will have everyone clamoring to use a "mobile wallet" on their device instead, since it will be readily available.

Apple, being Apple, knew this was going to happen eventually (it's been talked about for years), and now that there's finally a big movement in this direction, they are jumping in at the "ideal" time.

The reason BB or Google or Microsoft haven't "gone all in" with NFC is because nothing they would have done would have significantly increased the amount of NFC terminals - that was all tied up with the banks/credit card companies. That's the problem when you have a feature that is so dependent on other companies with different agendas than your own. But, finally, change is coming...
    09-09-14 10:28 PM
    I know. I read the articles etc. Just having some humor here.

Honestly, I find NFC on my BlackBerry useful with smart tags and file sharing, and not just between BlackBerrys but with Androids too. Wondering if we can now share files with iPhone users by NFC now? I will stick with the old school method and carry my cards on me and not on my phone.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    Oops sorry, completely missed that

Unfortunately I can't see Apple allowing that. They have air drop for that. They don't like playing with us

One thing I did notice about Apple Pay is in the demonstration someone payed at the terminal for an item which was over 20 dollars. Here in the UK NFC enabled cards only allow a maximum purchase of 20 pounds so I'm guessing (making a massive assumption here) it's 20 dollars over there in the US. If Apple has produced a way of paying regardless of the value then that's a big step in my eyes. Genuine way of mobile payments.
    09-10-14 06:21 AM
    It is time to admit it any BlackBerry device is absolutely DOA.
    Yes, the end is near. BlackBerry will be dead by Christmas 2010. Oh, wait..

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-10-14 06:34 AM
    Oops sorry, completely missed that

Unfortunately I can't see Apple allowing that. They have air drop for that. They don't like playing with us

One thing I did notice about Apple Pay is in the demonstration someone payed at the terminal for an item which was over 20 dollars. Here in the UK NFC enabled cards only allow a maximum purchase of 20 pounds so I'm guessing (making a massive assumption here) it's 20 dollars over there in the US. If Apple has produced a way of paying regardless of the value then that's a big step in my eyes. Genuine way of mobile payments.
    I'm not sure I'd want an NFC enabled device to make purchases greater than �20, I think the risk is just too great if you lose it or have it stolen.
    09-10-14 06:49 AM
    I'm not sure I'd want an NFC enabled device to make purchases greater than �20, I think the risk is just too great if you lose it or have it stolen.
    I think it's linked into the finger print scanner. Yes it can be replicated but it takes a hell of a lot.
    09-10-14 06:52 AM
    Seriously? Nothing has happened with nfc payments from blackberry. I waited a long time for them to take advantage of the gap in the market and saw they did nothing. If apple shakes it up then blackberry can only blame themselves for not taking the plunge

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    We use it with smart tags. Use it to transfer videos between our BlackBerry and Android devices. That is what the OP was referring to.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-10-14 08:16 AM