Ok, I've read a lot about how folks say email is not as good on the iPhone as on a BlackBerry, but would like some clarification please. This is not a knock against iPhone users, as I'm not a techie, and would just like to understand a little more about why people say this because I will be considering an iPhone when my contract is up.

So, for example, I currently have about a half a dozen email accounts (yahoo, hotmail, aol, gmail, etc.) pushed directly through a Blackberry BIS server to my Pearl. The email is instantaeous, and I get them as soon as they are sent (sometimes showing up on my Blackberry even faster than it shows up on my home computer while logged into the email account). Is it true that for the iPhone, this is not possible unless you subscribe to MobileMe? If you subscribe to MobileMe, can I get all my email accounts listed above pushed to the iPhone, or will I still have to have some accounts pull email every 15 minutes?

If it is the case that the iPhone can't handle push email well, what is the reason? I mean- is there a copyright or some other type of infringement clause that prevents Apple from copying RIM's BIS type server setup? I like all the nice fancy user interface features of the iPhone, but also need reliable email, and would prefer to NOT have to pay for email service above what the contract will cost with AT&T, unless it will provide me with at least the same kind of email push service I'm getting with a Blackberry from all my different accounts. Is this possible with the iPhone, or do I need to give up some email functionality for the better media experience? Thanks in advance.
    01-02-09 12:19 PM
    On the iPhone email pushes to Yahoo accounts instantly. Other account have to be pulled at the selected time frame. Some people (as a workaround) have their mail forwarded to their yahoo accounts so that way everything is instantly received.

Having used all types of devices, I would say that blackberry is still the most reliable. I only have 2 email accounts so I get all mine instantly on my iPhone so that's not a problem for me.

The best thing (IMO) about the iPhone email is being able to have access to all my folders and all mail no matter how old. Whereas with BB, if you just got a BB today, you won't be able to see email from last week (unless you browse the web) but with the iPhone I can load up all my messages. Depends on what you think is best for yourself.
    01-02-09 12:28 PM
    On the iPhone email pushes to Yahoo accounts instantly. Other account have to be pulled at the selected time frame. Some people (as a workaround) have their mail forwarded to their yahoo accounts so that way everything is instantly received.

Having used all types of devices, I would say that blackberry is still the most reliable. I only have 2 email accounts so I get all mine instantly on my iPhone so that's not a problem for me.

The best thing (IMO) about the iPhone email is being able to have access to all my folders and all mail no matter how old. Whereas with BB, if you just got a BB today, you won't be able to see email from last week (unless you browse the web) but with the iPhone I can load up all my messages. Depends on what you think is best for yourself.
    Thanks for that explanation. So if you have all your different email accounts forwarded to the Yahoo account, when you reply, can you reply from each individual account, or will it look to the recipient as if you replied from the Yahoo account?

The thing about the folders is cool, but I don't really need access to all my old email, and if I do on occasion, like you said, I can go to the internet to fetch them.
    01-02-09 12:35 PM
    Thanks for that explanation. So if you have all your different email accounts forwarded to the Yahoo account, when you reply, can you reply from each individual account, or will it look to the recipient as if you replied from the Yahoo account?

The thing about the folders is cool, but I don't really need access to all my old email, and if I do on occasion, like you said, I can go to the internet to fetch them.
    Well just like BB when you are replying to an email you can select the email address you want to send from. So which ever emails you have set up on your phone will be an option to send from.

The folders thing is pretty cool. It works well for me because I actually organize my emails and save stuff in folders so its good to easily get access to them. Also when I need to see a copy of "sent" emails from a while ago.
    01-02-09 12:57 PM
    Well just like BB when you are replying to an email you can select the email address you want to send from. So which ever emails you have set up on your phone will be an option to send from.
    Hey, well then that sounds like a solution then- if you have all the email sent to the yahoo account, and can reply to any of the email clients from there using any email you designate, then I don't see why there's such a big deal about having to stick with Blackberry email. Thanks...maybe this will be my last BlackBerry. Thanks again for the info.
    01-02-09 01:03 PM
    Good luck with whatever you choose.
    01-02-09 01:18 PM
    Another thing that isn't mentioned so much is that actually viewing your email on an iPhone is awesome.

I don't have mobile me, but Yahoo has been about as reliable as BIS is on my curve. I'm not a really heavy email user, and probably the only one here who isn't too concerned with instant email.
    01-02-09 01:28 PM
    Another thing that isn't mentioned so much is that actually viewing your email on an iPhone is awesome.

I don't have mobile me, but Yahoo has been about as reliable as BIS is on my curve. I'm not a really heavy email user, and probably the only one here who isn't too concerned with instant email.
    I agree. It is actually true HTML email. I am like you also as I only have a couple accounts and I am not concerned with instant email. Even if I was, it wouldn't matter because my Yahoo account is my most active and gets email instantly.

I like em both but since the iPhone fits my needs at the moment, I prefer it slightly more.
    01-02-09 01:51 PM
    What would be best is to set up all your emails on the device. Then when the email gets forwarded to your yahoo, you go into the respective account to reply. If you do it with the method above, although you can change the address, they will be able to see the email you forwarded from, unless you use a universal yahoo account (you can create) that you won't mind having other contacts see.

You can also configure Mail2Web which can be a battery drain, but pushes mail.

mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email
    01-02-09 01:52 PM
    That is my favorite part next to the PC like look of the email... being able to access folders.

On my iPhone I can see the emails I have stored, which is a great/big benefit as I do not like my inbox cluttered.
    01-02-09 01:53 PM
    What would be best is to set up all your emails on the device. Then when the email gets forwarded to your yahoo, you go into the respective account to reply. If you do it with the method above, although you can change the address, they will be able to see the email you forwarded from, unless you use a universal yahoo account (you can create) that you won't mind having other contacts see.

You can also configure Mail2Web which can be a battery drain, but pushes mail.

mail2web.com - Pick Up Your Email
    Hey Jayden, great point. I usually just go down the page and delete my email address that I don't want seen and FW, etc.... So that way it looks like its coming right from the box they sent.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-02-09 at 02:00 PM.
    01-02-09 01:57 PM
    That is my favorite part next to the PC like look of the email... being able to access folders.

On my iPhone I can see the emails I have stored, which is a great/big benefit as I do not like my inbox cluttered.
    Agreed! I hate a cluttered box. I just like now I have access to all my stuff in my email. Pictures, documents or whatever, I can just store in my email and have access to them. Might as well use the free storage.
    01-02-09 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD