01-09-15 09:13 AM
    I would think there would be more people that were into "champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development." using iOS than Andorid. Think they are shooting themselves in the foot..

And their problem with Apple seems to be a little silly.....
    Keeping customers or partners from speaking about the terms of any contracts or agreements isn't illegal - it's a fairly common portion of business and civil contracts, in fact. But the EFF's objection to curtailments of developer's rights to object publicly to Apple's policies, and to face expulsion from the App Store if they disobey, seems reasonable enough. The EFF is hosting a petition to Apple to change the terms, for what it's worth.
    Sounds more like they were after a few headlines... and they have gotten them.
    01-09-15 09:25 AM
    Symbolic gesture. I do appreciate the sentiment, but yes, all about the headlines.

Isn't the EFF an "enemy" of BBRY? LOL.
    01-09-15 09:58 AM
    I would think there would be more people that were into "champions user privacy, free expression, and innovation through impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development." using iOS than Andorid. Think they are shooting themselves in the foot..

And their problem with Apple seems to be a little silly.....

Keeping customers or partners from speaking about the terms of any contracts or agreements isn't illegal - it's a fairly common portion of business and civil contracts, in fact. But the EFF's objection to curtailments of developer's rights to object publicly to Apple's policies, and to face expulsion from the App Store if they disobey, seems reasonable enough. The EFF is hosting a petition to Apple to change the terms, for what it's worth.
    Sounds more like they were after a few headlines... and they have gotten them.
    I see your (and AP's) point about disclosure agreements, but just because something isn't illegal doesn't mean it's good practice. But it kinda goes with how Apple does things--constantly skirting the legal/ethical boundaries. And the second part of the quote is AP actually agreeing with EFF's "objection to curtailments of developer's rights to object publicly to Apple's policies, and to face expulsion from the App Store if they disobey."

And there are other objections mentioned as well.

Symbolic gesture. I do appreciate the sentiment, but yes, all about the headlines.

Isn't the EFF an "enemy" of BBRY? LOL.
    Or, put another way,

EFF pointing out BBM flaws=good, vive L'EFF and its mission
    EFF criticizing Apple=attempt at headline grabbing
    01-09-15 11:21 AM
    It won't create any change IMHO, but I believe the EFF knows that. As such, the attention (headline) is more valuable.

As long as Apple gets its 30%, I doubt it'll feel obligated to make changes.
    01-09-15 12:04 PM