Anyone think that Apple is SERIOUSLY trying to add some of the features that the Droid out of the box has?

I'm seriously hoping Apple introduces a unified/central notification system.

I'm seriously hoping Apple introduces/allows background tasks. So what if it eats battery life? people complain already.. It's my battery is it not?

I'm seriously hoping Apple takes customization of the home screen seriously.. HOW COOL ARE THE WIDGETS? People want this stuff Apple!

Anyone agree? Feel free to add what you think Apple should steal from the Droid.
    11-09-09 02:42 PM
    They have to take their shots at apple. They know who the big dog in town is. It's funny, because even they know blackberries are becoming more and more irrelevant. I'm sure Apple will come out with some new features and stuff in the future. It's the way of technology. It's easy to come out with extra features after another device has already been released. But at the end of the day, the Apple OS is still much easier to use IMO which still works best for me right now. The trouble that google will have, is having a good, sleek device made. Motorola devices are crap. This is the advantage that apple has, they control both the software and hardware. The G1 design was ugly and the Motorola Droid is too square for my taste and the flat keyboard with no separation is a real turn. I like hardware as much as the software. RIM needs to really step up because they are fallen behind in the OS category.
    11-09-09 03:01 PM
    The ROID.. I mean DROID would be a contender if only a good company built it. Motorola builds total plastic garbage.. FAIL. Apple will blow others away (again).. you just have to wait till June. If you can't or don't have the patience then you may have to switch.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 11-09-09 at 03:07 PM.
    11-09-09 03:04 PM
    Jailbreak.As it is the droid can't hold a candl to the iPhones UI, want to really spank it.. Jailbreak it. Anybody can do it. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 04:17 PM
    ^^^2 days ago I wasn't a fan if jailbreaking, because I knew nothing about it.
    It's easy and verrrrry useful (and easily reversible if you don't like)

11-09-09 04:29 PM
    Hopefully Apple does add some of these features. I personally do not like the DROID. It is real heavy (for a mobile device) and the design isn't the greatest. The keyboard is awful, barely any room by the screen and it is flat. No thanks. To me the iPhone is still king of the touch screen devices, but that very well may change soon enough if Apple doesn't add some new features. Let's see what June brings us. If it's nothing special, then Android here I come.

11-09-09 04:40 PM
    One thing I definitely agree with is the themes. Apple has been playing the *** for so long that it's not even funny, they could have had another revenue stream coming from themes a long time ago, instead, they continue to battle the jailbreakers like idiots. Apple needs to smarten up, here's how I see it.

People jailbreak because...

1) To unlock the SIM card. WHO THE **** has ever heard of a GSM phone that you can't unlock?? I feel sorry for those who buy an iphone and then end up having to travel and then get caught between a rock and a hard place because now they have to either get charged roaming fees or go buy another phone to use when they travel. People buy one phone, just to have one phone to do everything.

2) Themes. Expression of personality is all people want. Apple says the apps you have and how you organize them is your method of expression...I STRONGLY disagree.

3) Background tasks...self explanatory, refer to Blackberry smartphone.
    11-09-09 07:08 PM
    yeah... i would like to customize my UI on my iPhone without jailbreaking! also do custom ringtones for texts and emails without jailbreak and ssh....
    11-09-09 07:42 PM
    We're not a majority. 90% of Apple's customers are satisfied. I would love a notification system like Android, but the question is, "Does the iPhone really need it?"

Same with backgrounding... I rather Apple work on the battery before anything else.
    11-09-09 11:52 PM
    They have to take their shots at apple. They know who the big dog in town is. It's funny, because even they know blackberries are becoming more and more irrelevant. RIM needs to really step up because they are fallen behind in the OS category.
    Apple and Droid are consumer products and compete head on. Rim should not be compared directly to these two platforms.
    Next time Apple has a patent issue let me know cause I know with Rim the US Defense Department came running to Rim's defense. Hows that for irreverent.
    Rim OS has an interface that may not be as smooth and cool like the others but don't think it isn't advanced. I'll feel a lot more comfortable making money transactions on my Tour as opposed to an Iphone or Droid.

Watch and see where RIM goes in the next few years. These are smart people.
    11-10-09 05:15 AM
    Sorry, if you think RIM is not a consumer product you need to do your research. RIM is not targeting business/government anymore. Do some fact checking. And, if you think RIM are "smart people" then why did their latest phone the Storm 2 have features which were already on the iPhone THREE YEARS AGO????

Sorry, but if you think RIM and BB are okay...they are not! In three years Apple and other smart phone companies have TAKEN AWAY market share from RIM. Every year they LOSE market share. That's not smart, that's slow to react and it will hurt them in the short and long run.
    11-10-09 06:26 AM
    I agree. Coming from a blackberry, I love my iPhone, but I wish there were some enhancements that are really needed.

1) Themes
    2) Full customization of ringtone/message alert, etc. (Its currently just horrible)
    3) Updating weather icon on homescreen
    11-10-09 07:44 AM
    Anyone think that Apple is SERIOUSLY trying to add some of the features that the Droid out of the box has?

I'm seriously hoping Apple introduces a unified/central notification system.

I'm seriously hoping Apple introduces/allows background tasks. So what if it eats battery life? people complain already.. It's my battery is it not?

I'm seriously hoping Apple takes customization of the home screen seriously.. HOW COOL ARE THE WIDGETS? People want this stuff Apple!

Anyone agree? Feel free to add what you think Apple should steal from the Droid.
    Something tells me you're seriously hoping for something to happen.
    11-10-09 08:36 AM
    there are a ridiculous amount of possibilities for the phone in the future whether its from apple or from jailbreaking...apple knows what they are doing..its all business to them...they probably know what new features they will add way in advance..just something else to keep the consumer interested
    11-10-09 09:47 AM
    Well fact of the matter is, Apple doesnt like jailbreaking. This is why they are in the midst of hiring a security person and if you start to think, this person's roll will be solely to lock down the iPhone even more.

Apple lately seems to be very anti-consumer. They lock iTunes from the Palm Pre. Why? no other reason other than to be anti-consumer.

They've locked OSX from running on Intel Atom processors.. why? no reason other than to be anti-consumer.

They lock the iPhone down..again, why? I dont think it's to "unify the experience" or whatever verbage they are using to blind the American people.. fact is, it's borderline illegal. Anti-competitive and anti-consumer.

If Microsoft did a fraction of what Apple does, they'd get strung up the anti-consumer bandwagon and sued by the Government. It's just because Apple is 2nd that they don't look at them..
    11-10-09 10:56 AM
    Same with backgrounding... I rather Apple work on the battery before anything else.
    Totally agree with this statement. I just don't find myself missing running multiple applications etc.
    11-10-09 05:06 PM
    I do!! once you realize you can put pandora or an IM software in the BG, you get spoiled by it.

Apple should just enable it and allow us to do it. If it eats battery life, we just dont run stuff in the BG!
    11-10-09 05:54 PM
    They lock iTunes from the Palm Pre. Why? no other reason other than to be anti-consumer.

They've locked OSX from running on Intel Atom processors.. why? no reason other than to be anti-consumer.
    They lock itunes from the Pre because the Pre is spoofing an iPod USB ID number. Palm has EVERY opportunity in the world to use the itunes connector like Symbian and BB both do. Sorry, but spoofing a USB ID is flat out the wrong way to go about doing this. Purchase a license like everyone else and build your own connector to it. It's Apple's product, they can fully choose how mobiles connect to it.

OSX on atom might just not run well. I couldnt imagine trying to run something heavy like Vista or such on a little Atom netbook. Windows 7 and XP which are pretty light spec OSs already have slowdowns. Maybe sheer hardware incompatibility with the processor? It could be a NUMBER of reasons without jumping to conclusions they locked it out to be "anti consumer"
    11-10-09 06:27 PM
    Back on topic...

For all the shots taken at the iphone by VZW/Droid/Moto/Google they sold a whopping 100,000 units the first weekend. Tiny bit better than the Pre. Kind of pales in comparison to the million iphones huh?

Droid = iDont sell
    Last edited by stuaw11; 11-10-09 at 07:30 PM.
    11-10-09 07:19 PM
    They are taking the shots at the iPhone because they know the iPhone is the big dog in town. Do you see them taking shot at the Pre? Umm no. They go after who succeeds.
    11-10-09 07:48 PM
    I do!! once you realize you can put pandora or an IM software in the BG, you get spoiled by it.

Apple should just enable it and allow us to do it. If it eats battery life, we just dont run stuff in the BG!
    Agreed, I always have a few applications running in the backround on my device, especially Instant Messengers...
    11-10-09 07:53 PM
    Droid is an overhype ugly turd of a device. When was the last time a device uses gold accent? To give you an idea, my 96' Ti-85 calculater uses the exact same color scheme as the Droid.

11-10-09 08:03 PM
    my friend got a droid
    it is like holding a brick, the virtual keyboard couldnt keep up with the speed at which i type. and the physical keyboard flat out sucks, to still and the arrows beside are a waste of space. ne ways dont really like it except for the camera, pretty snazzy
    11-10-09 09:03 PM
    Agreed, I always have a few applications running in the backround on my device, especially Instant Messengers...
    I definitely do not miss BeeJiveIM on my Bold... in fact, I have yet to run it since push notifications on the iPhone was released. It's much better and definitely conserves battery. I couldn't go half a day with BeeJiveIM running on my BB.
    11-10-09 11:09 PM
    Droid is an overhype ugly turd of a device. When was the last time a device uses gold accent? To give you an idea, my 96' Ti-85 calculater uses the exact same color scheme as the Droid.

no way!

IMO the Droid looks manly.. i think it's super slick looking and built like a tank. There's no wobbles when opening/closing the slider.. I do agree however on the gold accents.. what is this, 1982?
    11-11-09 10:17 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD