This just came into my fb... From tech crunch....

now now... I don't want to be negative but I hope RIM is taking care of its maps and testing them thoroughly before release...

If this has been posted Before... Please delete / close this thread

Link: http://m.techcrunch.com/2012/12/09/a...-misdirection/

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-10-12 07:02 AM
    Lol, I just read that on CNET. Just lmao
    12-10-12 07:05 AM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    12-10-12 07:15 AM
    it is LMAO but its such a huge shame and could pose a huge problem. i really can't believe Apple released such an un tested product and have not gotten sued for such things in fact they are still selling products like they are the only things on the shelf.
    12-10-12 07:17 AM
    I think the maps things is being over blown....not like google maps is infailable. BUT, considering the media makes a mountain out of a mole hill on seemingly insignificant issues with RIM....I guess turn around is fair play.
    12-10-12 07:29 AM
    iOS needs Google Maps back.
    12-10-12 09:27 AM
    iOS maps has been fine for me. That's the thing though, for 95% of iOS' millions of users, the maps are fine. It's funny that it says the eiffel tower is in the English Channel and all that,....but it doesn't really affect anybody.
    12-10-12 11:09 PM
    OMG! Someone in bumblef**k Austrailia got lost in the outback! How can this be allowed to happen?
    12-13-12 06:08 AM
    OMG! Someone in bumblef**k Austrailia got lost in the outback! How can this be allowed to happen?
    It shouldn't be allowed to happen. I mean, if they use the newly released Google Maps it most likely wont. Or Waze. Or Nokia. Or anything besides Apple Maps.
    12-14-12 01:10 PM
    iOS maps has been fine for me. That's the thing though, for 95% of iOS' millions of users, the maps are fine. It's funny that it says the eiffel tower is in the English Channel and all that,....but it doesn't really affect anybody.
    Not really sure how you figure those statistics when route calculations vary with every single location versus destination... Also how did you gauge that it works 95% of the time for users? Assuming you are correct, what if the 5% of routing failures is in major metropolitan areas for example?
    12-14-12 02:32 PM
    Not really sure how you figure those statistics when route calculations vary with every single location versus destination... Also how did you gauge that it works 95% of the time for users? Assuming you are correct, what if the 5% of routing failures is in major metropolitan areas for example?
    The data from this article was early in the maps fiasco, but it's telling.

Home - Changewave

It's expected that the numbers of those who have a "problem" have dropped since Apple Maps have gotten better in the interim.

As for 5% of routing failures happening in major metropolitan areas, it's probably much lower than that where iPhone has significant penetration. The big benefit of crowd sourcing is that places with high population densities will improve rapidly. This has been reported by many in Hawaii, where at launch there was a distinct lack of POI, but has improved dramatically since. The obvious downside to crowd sourcing however, is that in places where very few people have iPhones, it won't improve much, if at all.
    12-15-12 05:14 AM
    It shouldn't be allowed to happen. I mean, if they use the newly released Google Maps it most likely wont. Or Waze. Or Nokia. Or anything besides Apple Maps.
    Look, if you're the kind of person that opens your navigation app, types in a destination, looks at the destination pin in the middle of nowhere, your brain doesn't throw up a red flag and you still navigate there, you get hopelessly lost and blame the app, then you're the kind of person that needs to just go ahead and die in the desert because you'll never take responsibility for a damn thing in your life and even google maps won't save your dumb ***.

(I use "you and your" as a generalization, not pointing at you as an individual, just in case you take offense).
    12-18-12 05:57 AM
    Look, if you're the kind of person that opens your navigation app, types in a destination, looks at the destination pin in the middle of nowhere, your brain doesn't throw up a red flag and you still navigate there, you get hopelessly lost and blame the app, then you're the kind of person that needs to just go ahead and die in the desert because you'll never take responsibility for a damn thing in your life and even google maps won't save your dumb ***.

(I use "you and your" as a generalization, not pointing at you as an individual, just in case you take offense).
    I understand what you are saying, and I do agree there is user blame to be involved here. But, when you are expecting accurate direction in a place you have never been and have no clue where you are, and your GPS sends you 70km in the opposite direction, that is a mapping problem.

I think the users and Apple are to blame. They were stupid enough to keep going (especially without the proper supplies while driving through the desert), and Apples mapping is bad enough to send them that way.
    12-18-12 10:12 AM
    The data from this article was early in the maps fiasco, but it's telling.

http://www.changewave.com/assets/all...002/table3.gif
    Home - Changewave
    "The September survey of 4,270 primarily North American consumers "

Mmm, okay... I guess that's a telling tale for worldwide (or even national) issue rates...
    avt123 likes this.
    12-19-12 08:18 PM