What you fail to understand is that this thread is meant as an opinion and when you continue to bash my opinion I am entitled to continue to defend it.
    It had nothing to do with making myself feel better. I love my 3G and I made this post because I figured other can love it to for a cheaper price than the 3GS. Is that hard for you to understand? You don't have to agree with my opinion just like I don;t have to agree with yours.
    The select few intelligent responders managed to hold a conversation about the topic. The numerous 'kids' that responded managed to flame and troll.
    07-10-09 01:52 AM
    What you fail to understand is that this thread is meant as an opinion and when you continue to bash my opinion I am entitled to continue to defend it.
    It had nothing to do with making myself feel better. I love my 3G and I made this post because I figured other can love it to for a cheaper price than the 3GS. Is that hard for you to understand? You don't have to agree with my opinion just like I don;t have to agree with yours.
    The select few intelligent responders managed to hold a conversation about the topic. The numerous 'kids' that responded managed to flame and troll.
    er.... your coming off like a ******. instead of apologizing or insisting the thread didn't come off the way you intended your going back and forth. if it was meant as an opinion then everyone would be on board with the thread but in the initial post you pretty much bash the 3gs in favor of the 3g because its what you bought. again either phone would be a great choice to buy but giving an opinion and creating a thread that you use as persuasion are two different things
    07-10-09 07:30 AM

They prob took refurb shells and stuck a few hardware in them.

Guarantee you that my 3G Jailbroken, as it is now, can do more than your 3GS as it is now.
    Why would they gut a perfectly good refurb phone in order to use its shell when they could just make a new shell for a fraction of the cost and sell the refurb phone on the market?

Basically you are telling people that instead of getting a 3GS, they should get a 3G iPhone and then jailbreak it. That's not very good advice. Remember your jailbroken iPhone is already obsolete and will become even more obsolete over the next 2 years. Also, thousands of new applications will be released that take advantage of faster processing speeds, video and push, and those applications won't run well on your jailbroken 3G. $100 is not very much to spend for a state-of-the-art phone when you already spending $100 or so every month for service.
    07-10-09 09:06 AM
    Yeah I'm punching myself in the head for this.
    Actually you payed more so I get the last laugh.
    S stands for sucker. As in Apple fanboys that do nothing but dish out money for replica devices with a few enhancements.
    They prob took refurb shells and stuck a few hardware in them.
    Also, not everyone. But practically everyone, just as yourself, misunderstood the topic.
    Guarantee you that my 3G Jailbroken, as it is now, can do more than your 3GS as it is now.

Also it's the same phone, operating system, everything. Besides a few bigger numbers in performance. I have Cycorder when I need to take a quick video and I have a video camera when I know in advance I will be taking video.

When you get an update, so will I and so will some 5 year old with an iTouch.
    Voice Control? Give it a few weeks and there will eb an App for that if there isn't already.
    OMG funny reply Responder epic fail.
    So you signed a 2 year contract for a year old phone. Sucker.

Your 3G jailbroken can't scratch what a non-jailbroken 3GS can do.

Let's break down the differences between each device:

Battery

3GS gains :

+2 hours talk time
    +3 hours WiFi Use
    +6 hours Audio playback
    +3 hours Video playback

CPU
    3G - Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM117JZ(F)-S v1.0 @412MHZ
    3GS - ARM Cortext-A8 @ 600MHZ

This alone is almost a 50% increase in processing power.

GPU
    3G - PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU
    3GS - PowerVR SGX GPU 530 with Open GL 2.0 support

The SGX 530 is a high end mobile graphics accelerator.
    This alone is reason enough to upgrade.

Memory
    3G - 128MB
    3GS - 256MB

Double the capacity & performance. Phone boots faster,
    Apps load faster and makes the OS perform smoother
    all around.

Storage
    3G @$99 - 8GB
    3GS @$199 - 16GB
    3GS @ $299 - 32GB

Input
    3GS has a Magnetometer

This allows for a variety of navigation apps including but
    not limited to augmented reality applications like Layar

Camera
    3G - 2.0 megapixels
    3GS - 3.0 megapixels with video (VGA @ 30fps) auto-focus,
    whitebalance & exposure.

While Cycorder allows you to capture video it can't even come
    close to the 30fps + editing & quality natively available to the
    3GS. Not to mention you have to jailbreak for the ability.

Connectivity
    3GS now supports 7.2 Mbps HSDPA (3.5G)

This feature is of limited use until AT&T finishes it's tower upgrade.
    According to various news sources though, they have already begun
    to roll the upgrade out.

These features are not 'minor improvements', they are solid upgrades.
    As of right now you can jailbreak both the 3G & the 3GS. The 3G doesn't
    gain anything over the 3GS through jailbreaking; if anything it suffers in
    performance because of it's lower hardware specs and many 3rd party
    apps are known to cause performance issues that a 3GS would be better
    suited to handle with it's superior processor, GPU & memory.

Just because you couldn't afford a 3GS doesn't mean you should advise
    anyone to not purchase it. The 3GS sports solid gains in every category
    that matters when purchasing a smartphone. There are not any jailbreak
    apps that can do this for your 3G.
    07-10-09 09:46 AM
    So you signed a 2 year contract for a year old phone. Sucker.

Your 3G jailbroken can't scratch what a non-jailbroken 3GS can do.

Let's break down the differences between each device:

Battery

3GS gains :

+2 hours talk time
    +3 hours WiFi Use
    +6 hours Audio playback
    +3 hours Video playback

CPU
    3G - Samsung 32-bit RISC ARM117JZ(F)-S v1.0 @412MHZ
    3GS - ARM Cortext-A8 @ 600MHZ

This alone is almost a 50% increase in processing power.

GPU
    3G - PowerVR MBX Lite 3D GPU
    3GS - PowerVR SGX GPU 530 with Open GL 2.0 support

The SGX 530 is a high end mobile graphics accelerator.
    This alone is reason enough to upgrade.

Memory
    3G - 128MB
    3GS - 256MB

Double the capacity & performance. Phone boots faster,
    Apps load faster and makes the OS perform smoother
    all around.

Storage
    3G @$99 - 8GB
    3GS @$199 - 16GB
    3GS @ $299 - 32GB

Input
    3GS has a Magnetometer

This allows for a variety of navigation apps including but
    not limited to augmented reality applications like Layar

Camera
    3G - 2.0 megapixels
    3GS - 3.0 megapixels with video (VGA @ 30fps) auto-focus,
    whitebalance & exposure.

While Cycorder allows you to capture video it can't even come
    close to the 30fps + editing & quality natively available to the
    3GS. Not to mention you have to jailbreak for the ability.

Connectivity
    3GS now supports 7.2 Mbps HSDPA (3.5G)

This feature is of limited use until AT&T finishes it's tower upgrade.
    According to various news sources though, they have already begun
    to roll the upgrade out.

These features are not 'minor improvements', they are solid upgrades.
    As of right now you can jailbreak both the 3G & the 3GS. The 3G doesn't
    gain anything over the 3GS through jailbreaking; if anything it suffers in
    performance because of it's lower hardware specs and many 3rd party
    apps are known to cause performance issues that a 3GS would be better
    suited to handle with it's superior processor, GPU & memory.

Just because you couldn't afford a 3GS doesn't mean you should advise
    anyone to not purchase it. The 3GS sports solid gains in every category
    that matters when purchasing a smartphone. There are not any jailbreak
    apps that can do this for your 3G.
    Perfect breakdown. Don't have to be an Apple fanboy to realize which is the better buy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 10:01 AM
    Uhm you can type away all you want but if you dont read whats posted before you it doesn't mean anything.
    I was given an early upgrade for the 3G so I payed $100 for that instead of non upgrade price for a 3GS... $500 difference?
    Also those numbers don't mean **** because our phones do the same thing application wise.
    I'm not bashing the 3GS in no way simply informing non iphone users that they are eligible for a waved upgrade fee 3G upgrade and they shouldn't pay $500+ more for a 3GS non contract.
    I'm far from a sucker as our phones do the same thing. You just bought into apple and will continue to purchase similar products with minimal differences. If the phones were at all different from each other they wouldn't be able to run the same apps, themes, accessories, etc. Yet the only difference is in performance which isn't even needed because as you can vouch iPhone users on these forums did nothing but praise the phones speed and abilities compared to blackberries and all other phones not even a month ago.
    You have no argument whatsoever against me besides numbers.
    If my phone is obsolete then so is yours because we have the same firmware and run everything the same. The next update = the same. The phones appearance = the same. If you can look at a 3G iPhone and tell me it's not a 3GS then I guess you win. I might as well change my profile to 3GS because not even my friends would be able to tell.
    07-10-09 11:27 AM
    Uhm you can type away all you want but if you dont read whats posted before you it doesn't mean anything.
    I was given an early upgrade for the 3G so I payed $100 for that instead of non upgrade price for a 3GS... $500 difference?
    Also those numbers don't mean **** because our phones do the same thing application wise.
    I'm not bashing the 3GS in no way simply informing non iphone users that they are eligible for a waved upgrade fee 3G upgrade and they shouldn't pay $500+ more for a 3GS non contract.
    I'm far from a sucker as our phones do the same thing. You just bought into apple and will continue to purchase similar products with minimal differences. If the phones were at all different from each other they wouldn't be able to run the same apps, themes, accessories, etc. Yet the only difference is in performance which isn't even needed because as you can vouch iPhone users on these forums did nothing but praise the phones speed and abilities compared to blackberries and all other phones not even a month ago.
    If my phone is obsolete then so is yours because we have the same firmware and run everything the same. The next update = the same. The phones appearance = the same. If you can look at a 3G iPhone and tell me it's not a 3GS then I guess you win. I might as well change my profile to 3GS because not even my friends would be able to tell.
    Can't tell by looking at the phone, but I can tell by looking at your apps. I'm happy you love your 3G, it's an awesome phone. You keep thinking that the hardware upgrades are minimal, whatever makes you sleep at night buddy. I'll enjoy my faster phone while you enjoy your phone, that is still good. I did read your first post. I understand your opinion. If people feel the same way as you, that's awesome. No one is buying into Apple. We wanted a FASTER phone with faster everything. We also wanted more memory and more RAM, faster data speeds and maybe a better camera. This is why we bought the phone and do not see it as minimal differences.

If you feel this way, NO ONE should upgrade their BlackBerry if they have a Bold. EVER again. I guess people keep buying into RIM too.
    07-10-09 11:36 AM
    Wow your line of logic is astounding.

OUTSIDE OF THE COST you're completely wrong about everything.

Your applications do not function the same, at all.

Your graphics rendering is not the same, at all.

The speed of your applications are not the same, at all.

You won't be able to run quite a few app's in the near future that take advantage of the processing power, Open GL 2 & increased memory. There will be minimum specs for future apps, that your 3G won't be able to handle. It's the same concept of buying a new car or a computer or a TV. On the surface they provide the same basic function as your older model but under the 'hood' they all boast significant upgrades to key components that
    make using each device more pleasurable.

Talking about upgraded performance as 'not needed' is the most ridiculous thing I've read when discussing technology. Advancement in any line of technology is almost always about performance. Yes the 3G has great speed ... compared to other devices. We're not comparing it to other devices, we're talking about it compared to the 3GS. It is 50% slower then the 3GS. That's huge. Not to mention all the 'extras'.

Also you can look at a 3G and tell the difference between it and a 3GS. Just flip it over.

Turn it on and it's beyond obvious.
    07-10-09 11:42 AM
    And what apps would that be? Voice control? I switched to a touch screen for a reason. If I really want voice control I'm sure there will be an App for it if there isn't already. I never said the performance is minimal but in my case with the 3G being a first time user it is unnecessary. Also this is meant for first time iPhone users. To save money by upgrading for $500+ less but still experience all the iPhone has to offer. Because after all I'm not missing much.
    As for as the BlackBerry goes there is always a drastic makeover when it comes to phones from RIM. They ALWAYS do something completely different. You might argue that the new phones coming out look similar but they are for different carriers and for different niche markets.
    Niagra - CDMA device.
    Odin - Touchscreen to fix issues with their first failed, if you want to call it that, attempt at a touch screen.
    Onyx - Trackpad and visual and performance upgrades.
    Gemini - Curve Replacement with a visual and performance upgrades. Optical Trackpad

No BB is the same.
    07-10-09 11:54 AM
    Flip it over hahahaha exactly, you can't tell. You go up to a stranger and ask him to flip the phone over.
    My logic is off? My logic is that I saved $500 and have everything you do... I'm sorry you can have your voice control.
    No problem with my apps AT All.
    No problem with my app speed AT ALL.
    3G will be obsolete when the 3GS is obsolete.
    There are as many 3G users as there are 3GS and apple wouldn't compromise loosing half of its market just to give the other half a couple better apps that use all of the 3GS capabilities.
    It wont happen. I'll be happy to get the next iPhone in a year that will actually be worth going out of contract for.
    The only thing you will be able to utilize your iPhones full potential for are background apps. **** maybe you can run 3 or 4 more than I can. Other than that all you got right now is a phone that scrolls faster and holds more memory.
    I'm on wifi probably 3/4ths of the time so 3G speeds dont bother me.

Also I'm on a couple JB forums and when people post their memory they say it never goes above 180 or below 130.
    The same range (fraction wise) that I am in.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 07-10-09 at 12:04 PM.
    07-10-09 12:01 PM
    No BB is the same.
    BULL****. They all run the same OS and get a little bit of a hardware upgrade. Just like the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS. If you really believe no BB is the same then you really need to look into all the specs of each device.

Tell me how the 8330 and 8320 are different? No **** one is CDMA and one is GSM. They ONLY have different hardware, and not by much. This is the same with EVERY BB. The 8900 and Bold? Same OS, one is 3G one is not. One has more RAM and one has a faster processor. One is smaller. You really find that to be a bigger difference? The iPhone didn't need a change in look, it is perfect the way it is. The BB needs a change in look so people will buy it because it's different, not because it is a HUGE upgrade.

Whats the difference between the Bold and the Onyx?

More RAM, better camera, and smaller. Maybe a faster processor and has a track pad. OH MY GOD! Huge game changer there. Please. Why do you think there has been so many article regarding where RIM is going?

They will all have OS 5.0 and it's the SAME for each.

The iPhone doesn't need a niche market, it shoots for ALL markets.
    07-10-09 12:04 PM
    YOURE AN *****.
    GSM AND CDMA!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop posting please. They all look different and they all have a boost in hardware and performance. The newest ones have the latest abilities.
    Your reply just made you look like a complete moron.
    You're comparing GSM and CDMA phones and saying there is nothing different about them. THE FACT THEY'RE FOR 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MARKETS YOU MORON.

And no BB is the same. They look different because if you do choose to upgrade and buy one you will actually get something new.
    iPhone can't shoot for all markets. You'll never see a wallstreet exec walking around with an iPhone. They're cool for us kids but business wise they're obsolete.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 07-10-09 at 12:14 PM.
    07-10-09 12:11 PM
    Mods, please lock this.
    07-10-09 12:13 PM
    Flip it over hahahaha exactly, you can't tell. You go up to a stranger and ask him to flip the phone over.
    My logic is off? My logic is that I saved $500 and have everything you do... I'm sorry you can have your voice control.
    No problem with my apps AT All.
    No problem with my app speed AT ALL.
    3G will be obsolete when the 3GS is obsolete.
    There are as many 3G users as there are 3GS and apple wouldn't compromise loosing half of its market just to give the other half a couple better apps that use all of the 3GS capabilities.
    It wont happen. I'll be happy to get the next iPhone in a year that will actually be worth going out of contract for.
    The only thing you will be able to utilize your iPhones full potential for are background apps. **** maybe you can run 3 or 4 more than I can. Other than that all you got right now is a phone that scrolls faster and holds more memory.
    I'm on wifi probably 3/4ths of the time so 3G speeds dont bother me.

Also I'm on a couple JB forums and when people post their memory they say it never goes above 180 or below 130.
    The same range (fraction wise) that I am in.

You really have no clue do you...

It's sad really.

iPhone 3G vs. iPhone 3G S: the tale of the tape

iPhone 3GS review

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06...-battle-royal/

Just a few examples of you being wrong.

It's okay. As for flipping them over .. you'll see yours says 8GB while mine says 32GB. Hrmm wonder which models those correlate to...
    07-10-09 12:16 PM
    YOURE AN *****.
    GSM AND CDMA!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop posting please. They all look different and they all have a boost in hardware and performance. The newest ones have the latest abilities.
    You're comparing GSM and CDMA phones and saying there is nothing different about them. THE FACT THEY'RE FOR 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MARKETS YOU MORON.
    Ok buddy. You really have no clue what you are talking about. The only difference between CDMA and GSM devices is the RADIO. The CDMA devices actually have LESS HARDWARE PERFORMANCE. And no WiFi.

You are calling me the moron when CDMA devices are compared to GSM devices all the time. Yea, I'm the moron. I probably am a moron though for arguing with someone who thinks he knows what he's talking about.

And what are these latest abilities? LOL. NOTHING ITS THE SAME OS.

EDIT- Also, thanks for the name calling, I see that had to be done to try and get you "point" across.
    Last edited by avt123; 07-10-09 at 12:19 PM.
    07-10-09 12:16 PM
    Mods, please lock this.
    Agreed, this is getting stupid. I really feel sorry I contributed to this thread.
    07-10-09 12:17 PM
    Yes please. I made a topic to help first time users and give them my honest opinion on a phone and was attacked by fanboys.
    3GS is better, I admit. But 3G has it all for a smaller price.
    You can argue numbers, sure, but I can argue that you all argued the same with the 3G.
    For what the 3G has already an upgrade isn't 'necessary' it's more of a luxury.
    I'm arguing the fact that you're comparing gsm and cdma phones and saying rim puts out the same devices. Yes, but for different carriers.
    Nice links but looking at the pictures the only difference is a compass. Sorry I don't go hiking.
    If you look at the replies to the first one they're almost all negative.

1st, negative.

2nd, negative.

3rd, negative.

"Hey Joe, some of us think before we buy and decided the phone is not worth the upgrade, GET OVER IT!

Not all of us are so in love with the phone that we must spend our money on it even though it’s advantages are minor. Funny how some people have to rag on others to justify to themselves what they bought."
    Last edited by FTWrath; 07-10-09 at 12:27 PM.
    07-10-09 12:20 PM
    YOURE AN *****.
    GSM AND CDMA!!!!!!!!!!

And no BB is the same. They look different because if you do choose to upgrade and buy one you will actually get something new.
    iPhone can't shoot for all markets. You'll never see a wallstreet exec walking around with an iPhone. They're cool for us kids but business wise they're obsolete.
    And with this statement you prove to everyone that you don't have a clue. I see the iPhone in plenty of corporate settings. Then again I deal with these issues on a daily basis for a living. The only reason to bother with a BB is for BES reasons. A BB on BIS is crap compared to the majority of modern smartphones. When you actually have some experience with the iPhone and grow up a little bit & gain some knowledge on the subject, then come back and argue your points. Until then enjoy your 3G.
    07-10-09 12:22 PM
    You weren't attacked by fanboys, knowledgeable people responded with the differences. But whatever it's over now, please lock.

/end thread
    07-10-09 12:24 PM
    Grow up? I'm not the one that came in here flaming. You're the one that started arguing to justify your purchase.
    I made the topic to help. You replied to argue.
    It's one thing to list differences it's another to tell someone they're wrong.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If I was able to upgrade to the 3GS I would have, but I wasn't. For an added $500 it's NOT WORTH IT. And that's ALL this topic was about.
    Upgrading early to a 3G and out of contract to a 3GS.
    Yeah you made your cool lists of differences but never jstified why it would be worth it to pay $500 more.
    Afterall not even an experienced ATT rep who owns an iPhone recommended upgrading. He told me to save the money, get the 3G and get 3.0. The same thing he had done.
    07-10-09 12:33 PM
    The thing is, and let's be civil about this, is that you created a topic that said "Don't get a 3GS". This basically tells me that you want to force your opinion down peoples throats.

Why not say "Is the 3GS really worth it? You decide." so that you can have varying opinions..
    07-10-09 12:36 PM
    I understand sniffs. But that's what the topic revolved around. Why not to get the 3gs and get the 3g instead. It was civil in the first post and then some people decided to post otherwise. Let's just let this one die then.
    07-10-09 12:52 PM
    thread closed!
    07-10-09 12:59 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD