Folks the great Dolphin browser that our Android brothers next door enjoy is now available for us will post reviews soon. Looks promising

About | Smart Phone, Clever Browsing.
    08-30-11 12:36 PM
    gestures is pretty sweet make a g you go to google.com

Tabbed browsing is nice
    Browser is fast.

More to come...................
    08-30-11 12:52 PM
    I can't tell what I like better. The features are nice, but with the speed tests I ran it loaded pages several seconds slower than Safari.
    08-30-11 01:55 PM
    Stop trying to load pron......
    08-30-11 01:58 PM
    Lol. Check ESPN.com, nytimes.com and crackberry.com on full versions and see what happens for you. Safari loaded them all faster.
    08-30-11 02:00 PM
    The video I saw looked kind of laggy, plus the features seem more like novelties to me. Sure it would be cool to draw a custom logo to go to a website, but it doesn't seem practical. Neither does the shake to switch tabs feature; seems like you'd accidentally switch tabs a lot.
    08-30-11 02:25 PM
    if its anything like it is on android its a complete trainwreck..... now that i think of it that's just how everything on android is.
    08-30-11 04:12 PM
    if its anything like it is on android its a complete trainwreck..... now that i think of it that's just how everything on android is.
    Now that hurts...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 04:15 PM
    Now that hurts...

lol.... and get this i dont know why but i still develop for android. I guess that's my linux background coming out. I like the concept of android but its years from being what i would call polished and usable on a daily basis.
    08-30-11 04:31 PM
    How so? I've found very polished ROMs, personally. I also have come across not so polished ROMs

08-30-11 05:36 PM
    How so? I've found very polished ROMs, personally. I also have come across not so polished ROMs

im not talking about roms/themes or any front end.... im talking more about the OS itself and its functionality(or lack there of)
    08-30-11 07:04 PM
    im not talking about roms/themes or any front end.... im talking more about the OS itself and its functionality(or lack there of)
    Gotcha. What are two things off the bat you think needs fixing?

08-30-11 07:18 PM
    just two?

fragmentation - building a single OS for all devices then having the vendors band-aid that os with inferior drivers isnt working out to well.

enterprise support out of the box - this ones self explanitory and until this is resolved android will never be looked at for more then a toy.

security flaws - the graph below will explain this. The main issue here is that there is almost no quality control of apps. anyone can create an app that on the front looks like a usefull app but in the background its sending personal information that could be used for not so nice reasons. Theres been over 50 apps pulled off the android market for this very reason.

polished market apps - very few android apps are polished... id say 90% or more look like they were hacked together by a highschool student.

battery life. - I should be able to have everything on wifi, bluetooth, GPS, 100% brighness all the time and not have to worry about my battery. The solution for android is to turn all that off and keep a charger or second battery with you at all times. I have everything on my iphone and i use the phone ALOT and have no issues getting 2 full days out of a single charge.

inability to use hardware effectively/efficiently - the phones are coming out with these crazy specs but aren't any faster then the previous gen phones.

this graph is only for 1 quarter... multiply this by 4 and you see the gravity of the problems.
    Last edited by zyiro; 08-30-11 at 08:21 PM.
    08-30-11 08:19 PM
    I love the new browser... all my fave sites works faster than Safari or any other available browsers on iOS
    08-31-11 02:19 PM
    just two?

fragmentation - building a single OS for all devices then having the vendors band-aid that os with inferior drivers isnt working out to well.

I understand this. I don't like it either. But, how do these manufacturers differentiate themselves?

enterprise support out of the box - this ones self explanitory and until this is resolved android will never be looked at for more then a toy.

security flaws - the graph below will explain this. The main issue here is that there is almost no quality control of apps. anyone can create an app that on the front looks like a usefull app but in the background its sending personal information that could be used for not so nice reasons. Theres been over 50 apps pulled off the android market for this very reason.

That's where the community comes handy. You've got a Linux background; I'm sure you could understand why there is a lack of hard core quality control (distribution not withstanding)

polished market apps - very few android apps are polished... id say 90% or more look like they were hacked together by a highschool student.

[B] it comes down to choice. That's why they've got pictures and reviews. I've seen what you're talking abou

battery life. - I should be able to have everything on wifi, bluetooth, GPS, 100% brighness all the time and not have to worry about my battery. The solution for android is to turn all that off and keep a charger or second battery with you at all times. I have everything on my iphone and i use the phone ALOT and have no issues getting 2 full days out of a single charge.

inability to use hardware effectively/efficiently - the phones are coming out with these crazy specs but aren't any faster then the previous gen phones.

this graph is only for 1 quarter... multiply this by 4 and you see the gravity of the problems.

08-31-11 03:10 PM
    I'm glad to see high end browsers like Opera and Dolphin on iOS but I'm not happy with Dolphin. It lacks many features. It just doesn't seem fully developed. For those who own Android devices I'm sure you know what I mean. For example I don't like the desktop/mobile toggle. I would have rather seen user agent with the option to use more than one browser type. I do love the tabbed browsing! I'm sure as time goes by the developers will make Dolphin a great browser for iOS. Regardless, I'm still happy to see Dolphin on iOS
    Last edited by JD914; 09-03-11 at 08:09 AM.
    09-03-11 08:06 AM
    What's so great about it? No sarcasm intended. I downloaded it. I have safari, opera, atomic, perfect browser and now dolphin. Is there something specifically that this one is known to do alot better or faster?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-11 11:24 PM
    I've been using the Atomic browser with some success. Still getting a handle on some if it's features, but I'm a fan of tabs and in that respect, it seems to do what I want.
    Is it marginally faster / slower than Safari? Really, I don't much care when using it on an iPhone - which already limits the whole Internet experience anyway. I mean, it's not like it's my primary browser...
    09-09-11 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD