I have a Bold but I really would like an iPhone.
    I am on Orange in the UK and I live in quite a rural area. I can only really operate on Orange.

Testing the DBm for the O2 signal on my Bold I see we can get -92, the bold runs on -76Dbm, 2G only.

I'm not bothered if the iPhone only received 2G at home, I have wifi here to download anything big, I use my Touch that way, But would -92Dbm be enough to run the iPhone for phone calls?

I need to keep in touch via phone because I'm currently out of work, if I didn't need to be in-contact with people most of the time, I would even care that I didn't have a signal at home.

What are your iPhones running on? Any of you in a low-reception area?

I have contacted O2 about the possibility of them installing a new mast in the area, but most people I have talked to seem to think it's fairly unlikely, especially where's there's only a few hundred people living in the area it would need to cover.

Oh and I spoke to a guy at Orange today who didn't deny that Orange were going to be getting the 3G phone in the future, sadly not in October, (9th), which was the date that was being banded about on the internet.

Failing that I could buy a PAYG O2 iPhone and stick my Orange SIM in, but I don't like the idea of voiding the warranty on such an expensive bit of kit.

WAGH!
    09-20-09 06:18 PM
    Hi I'm also in the uk and am using a curve on o2. Currently phone is showing 2 bars on edge at -92dBm. Am able to text make and receive calls and browse at a decent speed. Hope this helps. Any other quetions just ask.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-09 07:26 AM
    Hi I'm also in the uk and am using a curve on o2. Currently phone is showing 2 bars on edge at -92dBm. Am able to text make and receive calls and browse and a decent speed. Hope this helps. Any other quetions just ask.

I know a Blackberry can still function well on a low reception, but I've heard things about iPhones not being great with reception even in good areas.
    09-21-09 07:28 AM
    Oh I thought u were asking about o2 also. I have a few friends using iphones and haven't mentioned this problem. Might have to consider my options again if this is indeed true.

09-21-09 10:06 AM
    Yeah... I honestly can't answer that question as I consistently have 5 bars, 4 in a bad area (yeah, that's bad for me).
    09-21-09 10:47 AM
    It works in low signal strength areas. I have successfully stayed on the phone, made/received calls with 2 or less bars. I have not had a problem keeping a connection.
    09-21-09 12:26 PM
    It works in low signal strength areas. I have successfully stayed on the phone, made/received calls with 2 or less bars. I have not had a problem keeping a connection.
    One more comment confirming this will probably sway me to go for it. I REALLLLLLLY want one. I've never had gadget envy like this before!
    09-21-09 12:34 PM
    One more comment confirming this will probably sway me to go for it. I REALLLLLLLY want one. I've never had gadget envy like this before!
    Just get it and give it a try. It really is a great device. You guys get a 30 day trial in Europe too right?
    09-21-09 01:12 PM
    Just get it and give it a try. It really is a great device. You guys get a 30 day trial in Europe too right?
    I think we get a 28/30 day 'cooling off' period after signing contracts, yes, so I could just go for it (and also hope they give me a contract, currently unemployed).
    09-21-09 01:17 PM
    I think we get a 28/30 day 'cooling off' period after signing contracts, yes, so I could just go for it (and also hope they give me a contract, currently unemployed).
    Ah ok. Well maybe they will let you take it for a spin.
    09-21-09 02:11 PM
    I do get a 14 day cooling off period, and I went for it, I've had it two days and you know, even with the up and down reception issues, I'm keeping it.

I can get used to the wacky battery life and the lack of signal, it's forgiven for having a super interface.
    09-24-09 01:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD