This is pretty much the main reason I prefer Android to iPhone. I know iPhone had some turn by turn navigation apps but they're expensive (anywhere from $50-$100). Of course I could buy a standalone GPS with that kind of money but why do that when android phones get google turn by turn free. Is google turn by turn nav gonna come to the iPhone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 10:18 AM
    Yes GPS Drive. Works great and is cheap.
    Try it for free.
    12-15-10 10:48 AM
    Good question. When the Verizon Iphone comes out I hope we can get a free GPS or even verizons VZ navigator on it! I always need a GPS turn by turn navigation on my phones.

12-15-10 11:45 AM
    The iPhone does not offer free navigation as close to the quality of Google Navigation. ****, Google nav is as good if not better than the brand new Garmin Nuvi I have.
    12-15-10 12:51 PM
    Yes, MotionX GPS Drive is pretty good for .99.
    Options.
    30 day of live voice guidance $2.99
    1 year of live voice guidance $19.99

I personally use TomTom for iPhone (paid $39.99 at the time) which is as good or better than my standalone TomTom (which is very good).
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 12-15-10 at 01:56 PM.
    12-15-10 01:52 PM
    Another plug for MotionX GPS Drive.
    12-16-10 08:16 PM
    12-16-10 11:18 PM
    I have used Motion x GPS Drive since I got my iPhone, works great and I only get the voice guidance whenever I need it. It's the first GPS app I tried and it's great, just my opinion.

12-17-10 05:19 AM
    I believe the OP was trying to make a point that Android was better than iPhone in terms of value navigation which failed miserably.
    12-17-10 10:32 AM
    I believe the OP was trying to make a point that Android was better than iPhone in terms of value navigation which failed miserably.
    Actually the OP is looking to buy an iPhone when it comes to VZW and was just asking if any cheap iPhone apps had the same quality as the free navigation Android users get. Which they don't (since Google nav is the better bargain at the price of free).
    12-17-10 11:36 AM
    If saving .99 is a bargain for you then yes you are correct.
    12-17-10 12:01 PM
    If saving .99 is a bargain for you then yes you are correct.
    Free is always the better bargain. .99 is dirt cheap though. Google Navigation is extremely good though, I will give it that. Very very accurate. Just makes it even better that it is free and comes stock with the device. I'm sure the iOS alternatives you listed are good as well. Back when I had my 3GS, navigation apps were out but still relatively new and very expensive.
    12-17-10 12:25 PM
    Wow, you're stupid.

Actually the OP is looking to buy an iPhone when it comes to VZW and was just asking if any cheap iPhone apps had the same quality as the free navigation Android users get. Which they don't (since Google nav is the better bargain at the price of free).
    I'm considering it just because I have an upgrade in January and I wanna try an alternative to android. I might try it for two weeks and if it's not al that I'll return it.
    12-17-10 12:41 PM
    This is pretty much the main reason I prefer Android to iPhone.
    If I'm stupid then you're ignorant, calling me stupid doesn't change the fact that the iPhone does offer not just one but quite a few "cheap" navigation alternatives. It seems you were hoping different, had you even googled cheap iPhone navigation apps you would have become well informed but that wasn't your intention to begin with. "This is pretty much the main reason I prefer Android to iPhone" statement sums it up.

You have made most here well aware of your distaste for the iPhone, thats fine, it's your choice, there is nothing wrong with Android, but don't try to sell some ice to an eskimo.
    12-17-10 02:13 PM
    I think you both are taking this out of proportion.

@Entertainment, that quote you just posted does not in ANY way show a distaste towards the iPhone. He is basically saying, "If the iPhone has a free/cheap navigation solution, I will jump ship to the iPhone because that's the main reason I prefer Android". His intentions were not to insult the iPhone, but just finding info from the users about a certain type of app.

@techman, No need to insult him. This is how stupid arguments and flame wars happen. Keep the peace.
    12-17-10 02:38 PM
    Boy, did this get out of hand lol
    12-17-10 02:52 PM
    Well, I think his question was answered regardless. lol
    12-17-10 04:54 PM

"Which they don't? " Are you on some sort of a payroll or do you just do it yourself for fun to spread misinformation?
    12-17-10 05:10 PM
    You mean Skobbler US on post #7, I think he missed that.

Received some good reviews as well, 4/5 stars isn't bad.
    12-17-10 05:16 PM
    You mean Skobbler US on post #7, I think he missed that.

Received some good reviews as well, 4/5 stars isn't bad.
    ..and that's not even the only one.

Mapquest Mobile is free too. I was just looking at it. Anyway, anyone ready to cash out a 100 or 200 bucks for a GPS only device, and then pay another 100 annualy for map updates would be crazy not to think that even a 44 dollar navigation app like Magellan or TomTom (39 bucks) is a steal. And having Motion GPS drive for 99 cents- which turns the iphone4 into something even better than my 300 dollar GPS device I used in the past - less than the price of a cup of coffee - is absolutely a no brainer. I can't think of someone passing that one up and yet would rather buy a pack of cigarettes for 8 dollars.
    12-17-10 07:24 PM
    "Which they don't? " Are you on some sort of a payroll or do you just do it yourself for fun to spread misinformation?
    Payroll? Because I said Google Maps is the best free navigation out? That is just my opinion. I am not spreading any misinformation. My friend is an iPhone user and has used the free iPhone GPS apps and said they are all garbage compared to Google Nav. That's where I am getting my information, from his experience.

Anyways, wasn't Google Nav suppose to come to the iPhone?
    12-17-10 08:21 PM
    Anyways, wasn't Google Nav suppose to come to the iPhone?
    The best I heard of that were rumors, it wouldn't make sense to me why Google would let iOS have that, especially if it's free.
    12-20-10 08:22 AM
    The best I heard of that were rumors, it wouldn't make sense to me why Google would let iOS have that, especially if it's free.
    Depends on how you really look at the word "free". We all know Google likes to keep user data for their own purposes. You get to use their service but they get to keep your data in return, which is suppose to be anonymous.
    12-20-10 08:34 AM
    Yea i agree. isn't Android free for motorola,samsung, HTC, ect?
    Google cares about data and add space so i could see them giving this out for free...the question is when

Depends on how you really look at the word "free". We all know Google likes to keep user data for their own purposes. You get to use their service but they get to keep your data in return, which is suppose to be anonymous.
    12-20-10 09:09 AM
    Yea i agree. isn't Android free for motorola,samsung, HTC, ect?
    Google cares about data and add space so i could see them giving this out for free...the question is when
    Android is open source and free for anyone to use. If you can get it on hardware, it is yours. The source code is readily available online for anyone to access. It is Googles own linux derivative, Linux also being open source.
    12-20-10 09:15 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD