Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    12,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,055 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by olliegrl View Post
    I had android phones and downloaded these "great 3rd party apps" that every android user claims makes android superior to apple along with the "open" OS. well i got a virus on nearly EVERY single 3rd party app, so what's the point? yes, i know you can set permissions, but i shouldn't have to set permissions to decide whether or not my phone is going to need a master reset.

    I have apple cause i've always used apple products. my first computer ever was a mac and i've followed the apple progress from then. i have an iphone cause i know i can depend on it. it might not be the fanciest thing out there, but darn it, it works.

    plus, like i said in another post, things like motion, NFC, and s voice on the GS3 (which is the last android i had) were gimmicky. I only knew one other person with a GS3 and she lives 20 minutes away. i'm not going to drive to her house just to send her a photo by touching phones. S voice never worked for me. aka: "call dad" "i didn't understand that". and the motion call never worked for me even after i triple checked that it was turned on.

    again, apple might not have all these flashy new features, but if they don't work or really serve a purpose, what's the point of having them? I'm not trashing on android here. what you want is what you want. but i just found the OS not very dependable.
    I don't disagree with most of your post; I actually agree: big time specs do not necessarily guarantee consumer satisfaction. Overall experience is key, and Apple seems to have that down for now.

    I am curious though... what Android apps gave you the viruses?
  2. adadadad's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    287 Posts
    #27  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by trelawrence View Post
    I don't disagree with most of your post; I actually agree: big time specs do not necessarily guarantee consumer satisfaction. Overall experience is key, and Apple seems to have that down for now.

    I am curious though... what Android apps gave you the viruses?
    really, he should have mentioned those apps. perhaps, he bought those from somewhere else, not from GOOGLE PLAY.
  3. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,631 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,637 Global Posts
    #28  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    No.

    -I buy Apple stuff because I've had Apple stuff since before it was 'cool' and have a lot of software and hardware tied to it.
    - I buy Apple stuff because it works really well with the other Apple stuff that I have
    - I buy Apple stuff because the form factor fits nicely for me in a place where I have limited room
    - I buy Apple stuff because their customer service is second-to-none.

    I don't buy Apple stuff because
    - It's perfect in every way. It isn't.
    - I can do everything better on an Apple product than other products. I can't.
    - It's the best bang for the buck on a hardware front. It definitely isn't
    - It's cool to love Apple. I actually find the irrational of Apple fanboys to be idiotic, honestly. And snotty.
    olliegrl and mikeo007 like this.
  4. mikeo007's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,219 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,948 Global Posts
    #29  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    No.

    -I buy Apple stuff because I've had Apple stuff since before it was 'cool' and have a lot of software and hardware tied to it.
    - I buy Apple stuff because it works really well with the other Apple stuff that I have
    - I buy Apple stuff because the form factor fits nicely for me in a place where I have limited room
    - I buy Apple stuff because their customer service is second-to-none.

    I don't buy Apple stuff because
    - It's perfect in every way. It isn't.
    - I can do everything better on an Apple product than other products. I can't.
    - It's the best bang for the buck on a hardware front. It definitely isn't
    - It's cool to love Apple. I actually find the irrational of Apple fanboys to be idiotic, honestly. And snotty.
    I buy it for the same reasons. Plus, it's the best for me.
    Every piece of technology comes with some compromise, and for my needs, Apple's offerings require the least compromise.
  5. olliegrl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,260 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by adadadad View Post
    really, he should have mentioned those apps. perhaps, he bought those from somewhere else, not from GOOGLE PLAY.
    first of all, SHE. I mean...look at my username.

    second, i DID buy them off of google play. I'm not that stupid. But thanks for the vote of confidence bro.

    now that you've asked, i'm not sure which it was. tmobile wasn't very clear about that. but i did download a keyboard app (GO keyboard i think) and that was the only thing besides things like facebook and bank apps that i really had on there.

    and isn't the "beauty" of android that you CAN download from outside google play if you wanted to? but from the way you say it, that's a bad idea, so again...what's the point of having more than one option for apps?
    tchocky77 likes this.
  6. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    12,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,055 Global Posts
    #31  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by olliegrl View Post
    first of all, SHE. I mean...look at my username.

    second, i DID buy them off of google play. I'm not that stupid. But thanks for the vote of confidence bro.

    now that you've asked, i'm not sure which it was. tmobile wasn't very clear about that. but i did download a keyboard app (GO keyboard i think) and that was the only thing besides things like facebook and bank apps that i really had on there.

    and isn't the "beauty" of android that you CAN download from outside google play if you wanted to? but from the way you say it, that's a bad idea, so again...what's the point of having more than one option for apps?

    When you say virus, what was happening?

    Go Keyboard did get some bad press, IIRC, for using push ads, which would bother me a great deal. Not a virus though.
  7. Roo Zilla's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,361 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,590 Global Posts
    #32  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Ok, I'll say it, I "buy Apple cos it's 'cool'" LOL
  8. olliegrl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,260 Global Posts
    #33  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    i will be the first to admit i am NO techie. which is prolly also why i like apple. i have 0 interest in jailbreaking, rooting, etc. all i know is my phone started doing weird things like making it's own calendar appointments and the software was randomly force stopping (touchwiz). i just took it back to tmo and it was their techie dept that told me i had a virus. /shrug

    either way, i've never had those issues on iphone. that's all i know.
  9. olblueyez's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,337 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!
    #34  

    Default Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Does anyone really believe an iPhone user will come to CrackBerry and announce publically that "I purchased my iPhone because I thought it would be the cool thing to do."?

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe <~ (Right Click) RUN AS ADMINASTRATOR
    olliegrl likes this.
  10. adadadad's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    287 Posts
    #35  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by olliegrl View Post
    first of all, SHE. I mean...look at my username.

    second, i DID buy them off of google play. I'm not that stupid. But thanks for the vote of confidence bro.

    now that you've asked, i'm not sure which it was. tmobile wasn't very clear about that. but i did download a keyboard app (GO keyboard i think) and that was the only thing besides things like facebook and bank apps that i really had on there.

    and isn't the "beauty" of android that you CAN download from outside google play if you wanted to? but from the way you say it, that's a bad idea, so again...what's the point of having more than one option for apps?
    Sorry dear!! Thanks for getting it conformed that you are a 'she'.....! won't repeat that mistake again.
    Now coming to the point. (1)Though, I've downloaded hundreds of contents from GOOGLE PLAY. I'm yet to come across such an app. You say, you aren't sure about the apps that you claim, had virus. Nice! I don't expect these sort of things in discussion. What if I say, I downloaded an app from appworld that had virus? And I'm not sure what it was. Mind it, I'm a RIM lover, but not a blind fanboy. (2) For Playbook as well, You can download apps/games from elsewhere. Checkout 'minus.com', if you are interested. They have all the native paid games /apps like Angry birds(all four), MC2, MC3, nova2 hd,......., SRT Player, Movie FLV player, Files and folders,....... I've tried these apps. they work just fine. Now, (in your language) isn't it beauty of BLACKBERRY that you can download stuffs (even native paid ones) from elsewhere? And you never know, it may also contain viruses (now don't say that it cant). Then, what's the point of having appworld? Come on! don't be so biased. I like playbook for what it can do (also have s bold 9930). I have a galaxy tab also. I got it because playbook couldn't do certain things that it can. I don't have any iProduct. That doesn't mean I go about bashing other products. Every device is special in one way or the other. If apple is at the top and if android is doing well, it is because they deserve it. you have got to respect the fact. Similarly, if time is bad for RIM, we can't write them off. They are putting a lot of hard work inti BB10, and who knows, they may be at the top in future. I just don't get it, how you (so called fanboys) make out that ANDROID is JUNK.. But the truth is, PLAYBOOK relies on ANDROID. It is android, which has kept playbook alive. Many users bought it because it could run android app. Many of so calked FANBOYS acknowledged, they are extermely happy with android apps (search the forum if you disagree). While, I'm not a fan of buggy android player, it did help to drive the sales. You should be all thankful to ANDROID. NOW AGAIN, I'm not a RIM hater. Infact, I'm a RIM lover. That's why, I buy their products. But I'm not into bashing other products.
    Last edited by adadadad; 11-02-2012 at 04:08 AM.
  11. xandermac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,676 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,715 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108
    #36  

    Default Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    http://www.ibtimes.com/mobile-malwar...-mcafee-779557

    http://www.ibtimes.com/android-malwa...-report-742530

    700% increase in malware in 2011
    64% increase in malware in 2012

    Yes, McAfee is the source of one of them and they Obviously have a dog in the fight but She might be dead right.


    Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    Twitter: xandermac
  12. olliegrl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,260 Global Posts
    #37  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    /sigh....yes even though i said i wasn't bashing android...i guess someone missed that part. oh well.

    i went to android after years with apple and blackberry and had a bad experience. i know TONS of people who worship the android alter the same way apple fanboys worship tim cook and they love their phones and that's great for them. they can have it. while i'm a fan of the way apple is put together, i'm NOT about to sit outside at 3 am waiting for the newest thing. i still have an iphone 4. that's all i need right now.

    when did i ever say android was junk and not worth it an awful? i didn't. i said i had a bad time with it. i think, in terms of open-ness and some features, it's years beyond apple. but in the line of business i'm in, i didn't like that i had to worry about viruses. didn't sit well with me.

    i had blackberries for years, but never strayed from app world cause i wasn't sure of what i was getting. same with android. i didn't even use the amazon store. just google play. i'm just saying i don't see the point in advertising this idea of "oh we have more apps than (insert alternate platform here)" when some of them do things like push ads and may be corrupted if you get them from outside the designated "app store". AGAIN, i'm just going off of what tmo tech dept told me. I"LL SAY IT AGAIN, i'm no techie. so maybe it wasn't a virus and they were just making stuff up. who knows? but that's what they told me and that didn't sit well with me.

    and i think an "apple fanboy" as you put it would have at least ordered the iphone 5...something which doesn't interest me at all.

    @XANDER: wow i didn't see those reports. i wonder if the GO sms app could have been the culprit. man GO doesn't have a very good name for itself...
  13. Tre Lawrence's Avatar
    Between Realities

    Posts
    12,212 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,055 Global Posts
    #38  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Yes... Go got some bad press over airpush ads (as they should have; i don't think they warned customers).

    For a while, it was coming up on virus scanners, which probably explains why your tech said you had one.

    But... it did lead you to a platform that works better for you, which is what matters.
  14. olliegrl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,260 Global Posts
    #39  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    exactly. i really miss my widgets. i will say that. but someday in 2025 apple will get them too
  15. Judson50's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    #40  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    I will admit, now that I have children, I like being able to take beautiful pictures and video of my children anywhere and not be bummed I don't have a good camera.

    Aside from that, I was never a BES user - therefore, I never had the options that came with that - but I find that, although typing is tougher - I have access to global email address books in my Outlook unlike my Bold 9700. I also have teh ability to go into other folders that are on the network in my outlook. Couple that with the fact, if I read an email on my desktop it is read on my phone is something so little, but means so much to me.

    Then the apps typically do more because there is more onboard memory to handle larger apps.

    With all that said, That is why I went to Apple.
    Follow Me On Twitter: @Judsonds
    Facebook Fan Page | eBay Auctions
    @SuperShopper265 Our Goal is to offer an affordable way for families to purchase new brand name clothes, accessories and shoes at 50-70% off retail.

    I want to drop by iPhone 4s and get a Q10!
  16. omniusovermind's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    #41  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    Quote Originally Posted by xandermac View Post
    Mobile Malware Increased By 700% Over 2011, Android No. 1 Targeted Platform: McAfee

    Android Malware Increases 64% In Q1 2012, SMS-Based Trojans See Faster Growth: Report

    700% increase in malware in 2011
    64% increase in malware in 2012

    Yes, McAfee is the source of one of them and they Obviously have a dog in the fight but She might be dead right.


    Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    Funny thing is I've used PC's for decades and have only landed 1 virus in all that time that actually "stuck" meaning it got past my AV. And that was from a bad CD someone I worked with passed me unknowingly. That was also almost 10 years ago. I also have deplorable web surfing habits. I'm what you would call high risk for a virus/malware based on the websites I frequent. Never once have any of my Windows PC's received a virus from that activity. I've used Android for 2 years, rooted, and have never been bitten either.

    However I know what I'm doing on my devices, so clearly I don't fall into the category of people who should stick with using Apple products.
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
  17. GingerSnapsBack's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,695 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,716 Global Posts
    PIN
    E CONES
    #42  

    Default Re: Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    No. I don't.

    10chars
    God save us all. Go Sharks.

    Yes, I am a woman and I like hockey. Deal with it.
  18. olblueyez's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,337 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    PIN
    Director of The Anti-Special Needs Posting Unit,,!!!
    #43  

    Default Do you buy Apple cos it's 'cool'?

    I think both Apple and BlackBerry are pretty cool. Think about the phones we had 10 or 15 years ago. I use Blackberry because I like my keypad and I'm hooked on the messaging integration. I'm not sure why but Android has never been that attractive for me.

    If you have one of these devices you should just consider yourself lucky and be glad you don't live in a country where the average person is grateful to have a Nokia 6230.

    See what I'm sayin?

    9900 & Tapatalk
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Users\*User Name*\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML\vendor.xml <~ DELETE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\loader.exe <~ (Right Click) RUN AS ADMINASTRATOR
  19. unbreakablej's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,061 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts
    #44  

    Default

    Got my first iPod in 2003/4, and another ipod in 2008 and they are the most amazing music players ever. I am still using them today it is insane.

    Was already hooked into bb by the time iphone was out, and I've never used anything other than a bb since 2007. Though i did recommend iphone 4s to my mum as I thought it will be easy for her to use. And i do recommend iPad to older relatives and they do love it. I would have gotten a playbook myself but it was so unreadily available I was lazy.

    But tbh I never liked the iphone interface myself.just never took to it. Am using an ipad now but after a week on my z10 the home button feels annoying and everything feels so slow. The browsers stop loading the moment I try to look at another page... Having to log in to a specific gmail app and still having to keep switching between accounts. It actually made me appreciate the new z10.

    Had a macbook. Absolutely hated it so am back to my dell windows, also bought in 2008 lol.

    If z10 had not come out I would prob have switched to android. As elegant and pretty apple looks, I always feel suffocated when using their products. Not sure why.
  20. i7guy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,697 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,024 Global Posts
    #45  

    Default

    I buy what works best for me. That is the reason I have an ipad 2 and an s2. Not an ipad 2 and an iphone 4.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

    A fanatic is one who won't change his mind...or the subject.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions