Good article on people buying things as they're deemed 'cool'

Do you buy Apple and fly Virgin because you think they're 'cool'? Grow up, for God's sake – Telegraph Blogs

BlackBerries are pretty cool if you ask me
    09-25-12 10:47 AM
    People will grow up. We all do at one point.
    09-25-12 10:51 AM
    It's a given that in today's culture a lot of consumer behaviors are guided by what's "cool". It applies to clothing, tech, cars, homes, etc.

For me personally, before I purchased my iPhone 4 (still currently my device) I was using a 1st generation Blackberry Storm. The Storm was "ok" at best, definitely left a lot to be desired. Once the iPhone hit Verizon I was pretty much set on it because I knew that the hardware and iOS simply worked and that I wouldn't have any problems.

And currently my iPhone is the only Apple product that I own.
    09-25-12 05:36 PM
    I bought a 64gb PlayBook on launch day. I liked it but I was underwhelmed. After a few weeks I decided to switch to an iPad 2 and see what the fuss was all about. I get it. I still have it. (I still have a32gb PlayBook as well, back up now though)

Fast forward to July 2012, I was given an iPhone 4. Thought I'd give it a shot. Still using it. Bold is gone. Having said that, I did not upgrade to the iPhone 5. I really hope BB10 is a hit. I want it to succeed. I want a viable reason to return to BlackBerry.

So Q1 2013, please come along so we can see what RIM is actually going to put in the hands of users.
    09-25-12 09:57 PM
    Ya I was so not impressed with my apple phones. Like geared for kids. My kids enjoy them. I went to bb and the new tablet android phone. Love it.
    09-29-12 07:15 AM
    I don't buy apple because its too overpriced and even if they weren't overprice the fact that they're over hyped like something to be worshipped puts it right off the product. I don't see Apple making any products that can be taken seriously for productivity! BB and windows OS ftw!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 07:51 AM
    Ssssh...! Don't tell anybody because they may get sue or litigation happy but I beleive there is a secret Jimmy Hendrix Purple Haze 5 model. I think the screen saver has Jimmy's words rolling across.

"Purple haze all in my brain
    lately things don't seem the same
    Acting funny and I don't know why
    excuse me while I kiss the sky"

See here:

iPhone 5 users report 'purple haze' camera News | TechRadar

axeman1000 likes this.
    09-29-12 12:00 PM
    whats the matter with buying things that are "cool?"

I'd rather buy something cool than "not cool."

For me "cool" isn't about other people, it's about what I like and what i find "cool."
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-30-12 12:38 AM
    I have no doubt that there is a segment of the population that buys Apple products because they are 'cool'. What sucks is that there is a segment of users who have been Mac computer users since Mac's were anything but 'cool'. I have always used them for work (over 15 years now) because I like them for my work and they have performed fantastic for that. So to have to defend myself as an Apple user feels ridiculous.

Also, I can remember back when using a Blackberry was 'cool' and Blackberry users put down anyone not using one. A habit that continued until the iPhone exploded. That seems to be a bit of history that people like to forget on this forum.

Also, I love on this forum how it's ok to go into the iPhone or Android sections of the forum just to post an articles that insult the users... but if you went into one of the Blackberry sections and did the same thing, the thread would be likely locked lol.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 09-30-12 at 04:58 AM.
    olliegrl likes this.
    09-30-12 04:54 AM

Also, I can remember back when using a Blackberry was 'cool' and Blackberry users put down anyone not using one. A habit that continued until the iPhone exploded. That seems to be a bit of history that people like to forget on this forum.
    That hasn't changed, except now that the iPhone and android phones are so popular, they call every user sheep. It's just a sad vicious cycle of people fighting about inanimate objects.
    09-30-12 09:11 AM
    Eveyone I know bought the iPhone becuase it's really well built, does exactly what they need it to, has a great selection of apps, plays all their iTunes songs so they don't need a second device, and syncs between they other Apple products with iCloud.
    09-30-12 12:52 PM
    Eveyone I know bought the iPhone becuase it's really well built, does exactly what they need it to, has a great selection of apps, plays all their iTunes songs so they don't need a second device, and syncs between they other Apple products with iCloud.
    That's completely ridiculous. They all bought them because of TV commercials and what their friends bought. It's impossible that it's popular because it's a decent product that works well.
    09-30-12 02:12 PM
    My .02

I choose to buy what suits my needs - just as you choose to buy what suits yours. To pass judgment on my decisions is no different than passing judgment on someone else's choice of a car, religious beliefs, or food choices. It's asinine, and it proves nothing but your own intolerance.

I don't care what anybody else uses. I really don't. I'm secure enough with my own beliefs that I don't need others to believe the same thing I do to feel confident that I've made the best decision for how I choose to live my life.

Perhaps if more companies took a hard look at the quality of products they were producing instead of looking over their shoulder or seeing what their competitors were doing... we'd all have better products than what we have now.

That, and no company - nor any of its devices - nor any platform - is perfect. This should be obvious. We all make choices, and forcing other people to agree with our own choices is just............

Well you get my point
    10-01-12 09:24 AM
    Yes! I know BB phones and tablets are far superior to anything Apple has or ever will have. But I can't help myself. I must be cool. I must buy Apple!!!
    10-01-12 10:10 AM
    Apple is a very dynamic company that listen to their customers needs and react to it. I also love the support you get at any apple stores and love icloud between my iPad and my MacBook.
    10-01-12 10:17 PM
    I buy what I like, and I don't care what anyone has to say about that... My iPhone 5 IS COOL and extremely practical, just like all the other mobiles I've bought over the years, they've all had something cool about them otherwise I probably wouldn't have cared for it. If a product can grab my attention on coolness as well as perform its task...thats a win win. Plus 'cool' can be defined in so many ways...whats cool to me may not be cool to the next person.

If RIM releases a phone that impresses me just like how the iPhone has for the last couple of years, then who knows, I may switch back. But until said product is out there on the open market, I really couldn't care what RIM have cooking, because right now my needs are being met.
    10-12-12 05:01 AM
    Cool is subjective. I wouldn't buy something that I thought wasn't cool. I happen to think the blackberry is pretty cool also.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    10-12-12 06:37 AM
    I actually buy apple cuz their stuff works - PERIOD.. I remember having to reboot many bb devices I had 5-6 times a day - I'm lucky to reboot any apple device I have in a months time - case closed - all of the haters can keep hating the truth :P
    10-12-12 11:32 PM
    If someone decides to use his/her hard-earned money to buy what he/she perceive as "cool" for his/her own use, who are we to question it?
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-12-12 11:39 PM
    I just buy Apple products because they work great for me. If I'm "cool" for having Apple products, then, okay.
    10-14-12 06:08 PM
    Cool is subjective. I wouldn't buy something that I thought wasn't cool. I happen to think the blackberry is pretty cool also.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Good point. But, would you go back to Blackberry if there were no more reboots, no more hour glass? What do you do with your iphone that you can't do with a BB?

I always ask people this question. So far, no replies, except for the usual 'Skype' 'Netflix'.
    10-14-12 09:06 PM
    Good point. But, would you go back to Blackberry if there were no more reboots, no more hour glass? What do you do with your iphone that you can't do with a BB?

I always ask people this question. So far, no replies, except for the usual 'Skype' 'Netflix'.
    For some people, that is enough. Why go back? It may be trivial for some, but not for others. i could list several reasons that I would not return currently that won't involve those two (which, incidentally, serve as business tools for me).

My point is, Skype and Netflix are hurdles when it comes to returning to current RIM offerings.
    10-14-12 10:25 PM

I actually still do use a blackberry, but to answer you question

My iPhone use is very photo/video centric. Creation and editing. While there are some photo editing apps for the blackberry the workflow is awful for me and I've yet to find a video editing app. The iPhone/ipad have an abundance available that are "desktop class" (sort of, but they're amazing for mobile apps).

Any device can communicate, the blackberry excels at that, but my needs have progressed beyond mere communication.

Examples of the apps I use for comparison sake.

PhotoGene
    Photoforge
    iPhoto
    iMovie
    V.i.k.t.o.r
    Vyclone (multi camera). This app is actually fairly unknown but I'm able to set up 3 or more devices to shoot the same scene (time coded) and it'll even produce a rough cut for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-15-12 08:43 AM
    well,personally,I love Apple products, especially the ipad and iphone series,I have bought the iphone5 recently,it really really takes a long time to arrive,but it is worthy to wait..i love iphone.
    olliegrl likes this.
    10-29-12 07:37 AM
    I had android phones and downloaded these "great 3rd party apps" that every android user claims makes android superior to apple along with the "open" OS. well i got a virus on nearly EVERY single 3rd party app, so what's the point? yes, i know you can set permissions, but i shouldn't have to set permissions to decide whether or not my phone is going to need a master reset.

I have apple cause i've always used apple products. my first computer ever was a mac and i've followed the apple progress from then. i have an iphone cause i know i can depend on it. it might not be the fanciest thing out there, but darn it, it works.

plus, like i said in another post, things like motion, NFC, and s voice on the GS3 (which is the last android i had) were gimmicky. I only knew one other person with a GS3 and she lives 20 minutes away. i'm not going to drive to her house just to send her a photo by touching phones. S voice never worked for me. aka: "call dad" "i didn't understand that". and the motion call never worked for me even after i triple checked that it was turned on.

again, apple might not have all these flashy new features, but if they don't work or really serve a purpose, what's the point of having them? I'm not trashing on android here. what you want is what you want. but i just found the OS not very dependable.
    11-01-12 08:43 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD