Hey guys,

I posted in the Android forums as well....

Take a look at this. What do you think? We all defend our devices, but it is interesting how we react when someone says something negative about the devices we use. After all, they are just phones. I know I have said some things that probably weren't warranted in the spirit of "my device is better than yours and you suck". Just wondering what everyone thinks? Do we get too caught up in electronics and take it too far when someone doesn't feel like we do? Sound off.

Reader Responses to Review of Google’s Nexus One - Pogue’s Posts Blog - NYTimes.com
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-08-10 at 11:05 PM.
    01-08-10 07:56 PM
    Why are you posting this in the iphone forum? What type of responses do you think that you are going to get from the iphone owners?
    01-08-10 09:05 PM
    Why are you posting this in the iphone forum? What type of responses do you think that you are going to get from the iphone owners?
    It's not really about a specific device. It's more about we react when someone doesn't like what we like. Hence the title "do we take it too far". The article just happens to be about Android because it's recent. But the message covers all. So responses should be about whether they think we take it too far when defending our devices. If you don't like the post, then keep it moving.
    01-08-10 09:10 PM
    It's not really about a specific device. It's more about we react when someone doesn't like what we like. Hence the title "do we take it too far". The article just happens to be about Android because it's recent. But the message covers all. So responses should be about whether they think we take it too far when defending our devices. If you don't like the post, then keep it moving.
    Okay now I get why you posted it in here. I think that it is a mixed bag, when someone comes into the iphone forum that is not an iphone user and just wants to crap on the iphone or ATT it does get on my nerves. I have read many of your posts and you seem to be very laid back, so if you had something to say I would listen and take you at your word. There are some members here on CB that just want to trash us since we left RIM for another device so I just give it right back to them.
    01-08-10 09:17 PM
    Oh and to the OP, how are you liking your new Google phone, I have been wanting to get to a TMO store to check one out.
    01-08-10 09:18 PM
    Okay now I get why you posted it in here. I think that it is a mixed bag, when someone comes into the iphone forum that is not an iphone user and just wants to crap on the iphone or ATT it does get on my nerves. I have read many of your posts and you seem to be very laid back, so if you had something to say I would listen and take you at your word. There are some members here on CB that just want to trash us since we left RIM for another device so I just give it right back to them.
    Yeah it's just crazy the way some people act when you have a different opinion on something they love.

Oh and to the OP, how are you liking your new Google phone, I have been wanting to get to a TMO store to check one out.
    The Nexus One is a pretty good device. There are still some things that needs to be worked on in the Android OS. But overall it's pretty good. The hardware is better than the iPhone but the software isn't. Not too far behind though. So IMO it's just a matter of preference because you can get the same things done on either device. I will wait a for a few more updates and then try Android out again. After all, it took many updates to get the iPhone OS to where it is and we're still missing some things.

The main thing that I have noticed is that Apple doesn't care as much about specs as everyone else. They also don't care about doing everything. Now what I mean is that Apple rather make something that is easy to use than to have specs on something that isn't as easy. This is the reason why people pay double for a macbook when they can get twice the specs for half the money if they bought a PC. Same thing with the iPhone. Other devices do a lot of things, less restrictive, have better cameras, screens but they thing the iPhone does, it does it well.

I do think Android is going in the right direction. And I like it. More choices for us.
    01-08-10 09:26 PM
    That's cool that you are digging the Nexus One. What you said about apple is spot on, but really that is the whole point of apple products. Make them look good make them easy to use and make them just plain work. I am not sure that I would agree that you can get a better laptop then a macbook pro for half of the price but you can spend less that is for sure. As for me I love apple and part of the reason why is that everything on apple works the way that my brain thinks it should.
    01-08-10 10:09 PM
    That's cool that you are digging the Nexus One. What you said about apple is spot on, but really that is the whole point of apple products. Make them look good make them easy to use and make them just plain work. I am not sure that I would agree that you can get a better laptop then a macbook pro for half of the price but you can spend less that is for sure. As for me I love apple and part of the reason why is that everything on apple works the way that my brain thinks it should.
    I wasn't saying you could get a better laptop for half the price. I was saying you could get more specs for half the price. But that doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work. Same thing with the phone. I don't care about the screen resolution and camera MP if it doesn't work well.

On another note, it's probably going to take something to really "wow" me to change from the iPhone. Truthfully, nothing has "wowed" me since it came out. I was a blackberry-only user but when I first used an iPhone it changed the game. Right now, the Nexus is good, but it just doesn't change the game for me. I will see how other devices do.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-08-10 at 11:02 PM.
    01-08-10 10:51 PM
    I wasn't saying you could get a better laptop for half the price. I was saying you could get more specs for half the price. But that doesn't mean anything if it doesn't work. Same thing with the phone. I don't care about the screen resolution and camera MP if it doesn't work well.

On another note, it's probably going to take something to really "wow" me to change from the iPhone. Truthfully, nothing has "wowed" me since it came out. I was a blackberry-only user but when I first used an iPhone it changed the game. Right now, the Nexus is good, but it just doesn't change the game for me. I will see how other devices do.
    Gotcha, and I feel the same way as you do about the iphone. I mean I used to make fun of the darn thing when it first came out. Now that I have had one for a few weeks I can say that it is the best smartphone that I have ever used. My guess is that the next phone I get will be the next iphone. Now if RIM comes out with a touch screen berry that can compete with the iphone on every level then I would really take a long hard look at it.
    01-08-10 11:35 PM
    Gotcha, and I feel the same way as you do about the iphone. I mean I used to make fun of the darn thing when it first came out. Now that I have had one for a few weeks I can say that it is the best smartphone that I have ever used. My guess is that the next phone I get will be the next iphone. Now if RIM comes out with a touch screen berry that can compete with the iphone on every level then I would really take a long hard look at it.
    Yeah I will see what android device comes out on AT&T and how far the OS has come to determine. But I already know for sure I'm getting the next iPhone. That's a given.
    01-08-10 11:40 PM
    I really don't care what people say or think. My device sends/recieves calls and e-maiils, I get client e-mails and personal e-mails. I can read the news. Works for me. What others use - have no interest in. And, yes, I think many go too far. My friends are mature enough to care less. Thanks.
    I def agree. It's funny because it's the ones that are into tech and subscribe to every RSS tech feed that do this. People that could care less and don't know about BGR, crackberry, endgadget, don't argue over devices. 2 of my friends just bought 2 samsung moments from Sprint and didn't even know they were Android phones. They were just upgrading and like how they looked. When I asked what version of Android does that run he said "What's Android?". He didn't have a clue even though he's been using a blackberry for the past year or so and knows about the iPhone. What I'm saying is that people that don't consume themselves with this stuff could care less who uses what. I had to take a break from CB for a while because I was getting caught up in a lot of mindless arguments.
    01-09-10 02:51 PM
    I run plenty of stuff, Viigo, weather, flycat, etc., etc. but am not concerned with other people's devices at all. I am also a tech geek, but oh well.
    Yes. That wasn't saying that all tech geeks argue or whatever. It was saying that the ones who do argue are mostly made up of wannabe tech geeks. The ones who don't argue are both tech geeks and not because you have tech geeks that simply don't care and most of those that aren't tech geeks don't care either. But the ones who do care and get mad when someone criticize their devices are most people that troll the forums all day and are into tech stuff.

Think about it like this.... If I said "All women are tall", doesn't mean everyone that's tall is a women. So.... if I say "all the people that argue are techies", doesn't mean all techies argue.
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 01-09-10 at 03:09 PM.
    01-09-10 03:06 PM
    For a long time I refused to even consider buying anything made by Apple.
    The reason? Apple fanboys.
    Their smug condecending remarks made me want to smash their face with a brick. Also, I was new and still in the 'honeymoon' phase with Blackberry.

Now I've come around to the level headed belief that the best device to have is the one that best suits your individual needs.

Do people take things too far? Definitely. The percentage of smartphone users who come to forums like these And stick around is very small.
    It's been said before. People who post here regularly are not indicative of the average smartphone user.

Sometimes we lose our perspective and forget that it's just a phone that does stuff. Depending on what you use it for, it's either a tool or a toy.
    Tools and toys can be replaced.

Some things in life you can never replace, or get back.
    01-09-10 04:14 PM
    The Nexus One has better hardware than the iphone, pretty big statement. I'm going to have to check one out.
    01-09-10 04:33 PM
    why fight, A forum is for me to post my opinions based on me. Then others can form their own opinion. I don't know why some get off on trying to be the "ONE" who knows all...
    01-11-10 02:08 PM
    I am doing a university dissertation on this exact topic. On brand loyalty and perceptions that smartphone users have. I would really appreciate if you could voice your opinions on my survey!! It will only take 5 mins!

Smartphone Survey

Thank you!!!
    01-24-10 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD