I have really no experience with the iPhone or Apple in general ( I always the apple eco system was to restrictive and intrusive) and just saw an ad for Apple pay on the current version trying to make it look revolutionary . Personally I don't use NFC to pay but it's an old technology, right?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:13 PM
    No it didn't until the newest phone

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    12-22-14 10:15 PM
    Wow, a little late to the game I guess?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:19 PM
    Yes you are.
    12-22-14 10:24 PM
    Yes you are.
    What does Apple's advertising an old technology have to do with my punctuality?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:30 PM
    What does Apple's advertising an old technology have to do with my punctuality?

Posted via CB10
    They aren't advertising an old technology. They are advertising their version of the technology that no one has really made into a mass accepted form of payment.
    01-03-15 09:54 AM
    They aren't advertising an old technology. They are advertising their version of the technology that no one has really made into a mass accepted form of payment.
    It is old technology, both BlackBerry and Google have had it for years.

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-03-15 10:05 AM
    It is old technology, both BlackBerry and Google have had it for years.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say it wasnt, I just said theyve marketed it as their way of making payments and have made it more widely used.
    01-03-15 10:06 AM
    What do BlackBerry users use their NFC for? I thought there were really no uses.
    01-06-15 12:23 PM
    What do BlackBerry users use their NFC for? I thought there were really no uses.
    Mobile payments, for one. Pay for your coffee, pay at the pump, etc. Not our fault if the US lagged behind in adopting this technology
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    01-09-15 09:21 AM
    Mobile payments, for one. Pay for your coffee, pay at the pump, etc. Not our fault if the US lagged behind in adopting this technology
    Its also not Apple's fault that BB doesn't market it to the consumer. They just stick in their devices and say "We have NFC."
    Chrisy and mikeo007 like this.
    01-10-15 05:38 PM
    Its also not Apple's fault that BB doesn't market it to the consumer. They just stick in their devices and say "We have NFC."
    What was there to market in the US? How many places do you know of pre-Apple Pay that were taking NFC payments and these merchants were advertising it?

I can't speak for Canadian advertising, and I would think you can't either.
    01-10-15 08:59 PM
    What was there to market in the US? How many places do you know of pre-Apple Pay that were taking NFC payments and these merchants were advertising it?

I can't speak for Canadian advertising, and I would think you can't either.
    That's exactly the point, there wasn't anyone marketing it. Apple chose to market it and make it a popular form of payment. I don't know how they could be considered late to the game when no one else has effectively done that, which was the point of this thread I thought.
    01-10-15 09:01 PM
    That's exactly the point, there wasn't anyone marketing it. Apple chose to market it and make it a popular form of payment. I don't know how they could be considered late to the game when no one else has effectively done that, which was the point of this thread I thought.
    There really wasn't anything to market in the US. But to declare NFC payments as an Apple revolution would be patently false, because it has existed around the world for longer than Apple decided to get into the game. They are driving large scale adoption of it, I'll give them that.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-10-15 09:08 PM
    There really wasn't anything to market in the US. But to declare NFC payments as an Apple revolution would be patently false, because it has existed around the world for longer than Apple decided to get into the game. They are driving large scale adoption of it, I'll give them that.
    I understand that, and I never claimed it was revolutionary. The thread is in regards to them being late to the game, and they weren't, because there hasn't been a game to be late too.
    01-10-15 09:21 PM
    I understand that, and I never claimed it was revolutionary. The thread is in regards to them being late to the game, and they weren't, because there hasn't been a game to be late too.
    They are late in the game but are making it more popular in the us

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    Chrisy and raino like this.
    01-10-15 09:24 PM
    Why is this on CrackBerry and not iMore?

Okay, nevermind that, I never get an answer.

But NFC on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus is locked to Apple Pay only. There was talk about opening it up to other developers but I don't know if it goes anyway. If you're not in USA (perhaps a couple of other places), the NFC in the iPhones is useless

Q10 SQN100-3 on 10.3.1.1949
    01-10-15 09:25 PM
    NFC a is just the radio technology. Apple Pay is a payment system. You can't pay with just NFC any more than you can pay with a magnetic stripe. There has to be a bank, etc.
    Chrisy, avt123 and mikeo007 like this.
    01-10-15 09:43 PM
    NFC a is just the radio technology. Apple Pay is a payment system. You can't pay with just NFC any more than you can pay with a magnetic stripe. There has to be a bank, etc.
    Exactly. Apple Pay is much more than just NFC. There are extra security measures that normal NFC payments do not have.
    Chrisy likes this.
    01-12-15 01:00 AM