Not from CurrentC themselves... CurrentC Is The Big Retailers? Clunky Attempt To Kill Apple Pay And Credit Card Fees | TechCrunch but this article shows a hands on with the CurrentC app. Granted, the app is out, but the service is still in beta. The hands on shows them still planning to use QR codes. Dunno where he claims that they're no longer going that route.

The currentc.com site itself doesn't show much.
    Yeah that was my link in post 18# The only info from CVS regarding CurrentC is that they are
    “At this time, CVS Pharmacy cannot accept Apple Pay or other mobile payments that use NFC technology,” the merchant told NFC World+ today. “We are in the process of evaluating mobile payment options for our customers.”
    Which I take as PR speak that CurrentC is not ready for launch and we may have to come back to NFC payments if CurrentC gets no consumer interest and we are outside of the CurrentC exclusivity window.
    10-27-14 06:51 PM
    And the dagger, CurrentC requires your SSN and Driver's License to sign up. No I don't think so!!

Attachment 309802
    Considering that security is not a priority for retailers (all of them have been hacked this year), who in the right mind will give them that info?
    randall2580 likes this.
    10-27-14 07:57 PM
    Other than their currently deployed app for testing?

If by dated, you mean 2 days ago... then sure.
    CurrentC is still using QR codes. What other choice do they have?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    10-27-14 08:03 PM
    That's possible. There is no such thing as a free lunch. However, the fee isn't nearly as big as has been stated around here. Also, I think the consumer will benefit from Apple Pay, so a very small extra fee in the chain isn't completely unjustified. At least in the US, it is much more secure than typical credit card transactions, it keeps your CC number and transaction history out of the merchants' computers, makes it convenient to pay at the point of sale, and still gives all the fraud protection and other consumer protections that go along with credit cards.
    I'm not so worried about the merits of the Apple Pay system. I'm more worried about adding more intermediate processors, each one taking a "little". Each little bit will add cost to everyone's purchases.

TicketMaster, for example, started with a small transaction fee. Eventually they added a venue cut and sometimes a band cut to the fee and now we have tickets with 50% mark-up over face value.

If Apple Pay becomes the dominant system, who's to say that Apple won't raise its fees? Look at how well the credit card companies of today already dictate to merchants how they have to price merchandise (no "cash only" prices which will reveal the credit card mark-up). I'd rather see competing systems.

In my opinion, you'd have to be crazy to voluntarily allow a merchant to direct withdraw from your checking account. This competing system to Apple Pay is a non-starter on that basis alone. If there is a fraudulent charge on my CC (whether or not through Apple Pay) there is a well established system in place, which is highly protective of the consumer. I can report the fraudulent charge, state that the charge is not mine, and boom, it's taken off my bill. However, if a hacker compromises the merchants' servers (not unheard of) and drains my bank account, what's my recourse? If there is adequate recourse at all, my guess is it will be a long road to resolve, all without your rent money available that month. No thanks.
    Hey, no argument there. I'm already uncomfortable with my car insurance company pulling directly out of my bank account. They've double charged my father in the past and it was a pain to reimburse.

As far as credit card companies and fraud, they still send bills with the credit card number as your account number. You don't get an account number separate from your credit card number. If someone steals your mail, he/she has your credit card number. Also, they keep sending unsolicited credit card offers, which again can lead to fraud. Sure, they'll quickly reimburse, but there's not much prevention in the first place and the losses are accepted as "cost of business" to them and in the end, someone will have to pay for it. It's not them. It's higher interest rates on the consumer.
    10-27-14 08:33 PM
    The credit card companies,banks,software companies and a lot of the retailers will not allow apple to control it. It would cut them out of the profits so they would rather throw roadblocks apples way then let them get a foot hold. So sorry apple even you won't control that market.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-27-14 08:35 PM
    So sorry apple even you won't control that market.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    People said the same thing when Apple released the first iphone and when Google released his search engine. we will see.
    10-27-14 09:02 PM
    People said the same thing when Apple released the first iphone and when Google released his search engine. we will see.
    I doubt they will control this market. But they have set the bar for a hopefully new and much improved google wallet and other android implementations.

10-27-14 09:04 PM
    I doubt they will control this market. But they have set the bar for a hopefully new and much improved google wallet and other android implementations.

I really hope it is just a standardized method using NFC...so that people don't need to be on a specific platform to be able to use it.

I was under the impression that BB10 would have this built into the OS:

BlackBerry 10 features to include mobile wallet thanks to Visa deal | Digital Trends
    Secure Mobile Payments Using Near Field Communication and BlackBerry Smartphones | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

This was available on some of the BBOS devices, like the 9790. Hell, they even field-tested in South Africa!

Oh well...I suppose we have something similar to that CurrentC here: Snapscan.

It just grabs your name, Cell number, and CC details. You scan the QR code and then enter a PIN number (not your bank PIN) to authorize the payment.
    10-27-14 10:36 PM
    Bbm money is better solution, or bitcoin

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:43 PM
    I just had a vision of people lining up for days to purchase the new iPhone 9 using Apple Pay on their iPhone 8S+, screaming that the new iPhone is so revolutionary with the red LED that blinks when you have an unread iMessage and allows two attachments per email.

Posted with my BlackBerry Z10!
    10-27-14 11:24 PM
    I was just going to say the same thing...BBM. seems like BlackBerry is taking forever with this new payment options. I thought I saw a news article a year or two ago that BlackBerry and Canada bank(RBC) had something working in Canada and they tested at a McDonald. Also a few months ago, I thought BlackBerry made an announcement that they were working with Rogers, Telus or Bell or all three with some other company on some kind of phone payment system? What ever happened to these announcements?

Nokia to LG to Motorola to Z10, Next up Passport or Z50
    10-27-14 11:28 PM
    There has been rumors for years Apple's thought of leveraging it's extensive user base and customer accounts to establish a bank, cut the credit card processors out of the loop.
    They can certainly leverage everyone that uses an Apple device since in order to software update your device, you need to register a credit card with them, even if the update is free. (Though I just looked up this issue and it's possible to remove the credit card after setting it up or register through iTunes and select "none". It's not something apparent to everyone.)
    10-28-14 02:08 AM
    http://www.businessinsider.com/custo...le-pay-2014-10

Who wants to bet RiteAid/CVS turn the NFC back on by the end of the month?
    xandermac and m1a1mg like this.
    10-28-14 02:36 AM
    There is far to much misunderstanding around here it's getting sad.

http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...rrentc-971591/
    10-28-14 08:31 AM
    Customers Fire Back Against CVS And Rite Aid Over Apple Pay - Business Insider

Absolutely, especially when they are smart enough to realize they depend on Apple & Google to distribute their ridiculous CurrentC app and it can effectively be killed off before it gets a chance to come out of the gate.
    10-28-14 08:46 AM
    Absolutely, especially when they are smart enough to realize they depend on Apple & Google to distribute their ridiculous CurrentC app and it can effectively be killed off before it gets a chance to come out of the gate.
    Google may go a bit easy on them when it comes to distributing the app in the Play Store. But I'll be shocked if the iOS app doesn't takes ages to become available in the Apple appstore.
    10-28-14 08:57 AM
    Google may go a bit easy on them when it comes to distributing the app in the Play Store. But I'll be shocked if the iOS app doesn't takes ages to become available in the Apple store.
    It's already in the Apple app store, not sure for how long. I'll guarantee you there are talks going on behind the scenes right now, between all parties, that will force MCX to revise their CurrentC retail partner agreements to allow competing payment systems. The banking regulators will certainly get involved if this isn't resolved as it's a direct anti-competitive move designed purely to mine data.
    10-28-14 08:59 AM
    It's already in the Apple app store, not sure for how long. I'll guarantee you there are talk going on behind the scenes right now, between all parties, that will force CurrentC to revise their retail partner agreements to allow competing payment systems. The banking regulators will certainly get involved if this isn't resolved.
    I did not know that... I am truly surprised. They've shot down other apps for being their competitors before.
    10-28-14 09:02 AM
    I did not know that... I am truly surprised. They've shot down other apps for being their competitors before.
    Yes, and I have no doubt that they'll pull the App if they don't get what they want. If MCX can be anti-competitive I'm certain Apple can play harder!... Apple hold MCXs entire business model in their hands by virtue of MCXs dependency on the App Store.

If they want to play silly buggers with a behemoth they should not expect a rosy outcome.
    10-28-14 09:04 AM
    Customers Fire Back Against CVS And Rite Aid Over Apple Pay - Business Insider

I'll take that bet. Its one thing when a few users try Google Wallet at RiteAid/CVS and another when a million users activate Apple Pay the first few days its out. CurrentC will hold its partners to their contracts.
    southlander likes this.
    10-28-14 09:25 AM
    Middlemen...I like net 30 and credit cards. If my Visa/Mastercards offered an app on my phone (directly without additional middlemen) I would think about using it. Still, I would rather a card then using a phone.
    And debt cards (and anything that connects directly to my bank via ETF or what not)...no way!

Eggs all in the same basket and all....
    10-28-14 09:36 AM
    So is apple pay only useful for apple products or can it be used with anything?
    10-28-14 09:42 AM
    CurrentC might already be in Google's and Apple's app stores, but it's only in some sort of Beta trial period, invitation only.

They aren't planning to have the system actually functional in stores until some time in 2015.

So these two stores have disabled NFC, which was functioning just fine for everyone up till now, in favor of a system that doesn't even exist yet as a working product.
    10-28-14 09:43 AM
    So is apple pay only useful for apple products or can it be used with anything?
    It only works Apple, specifically with Iphone 6/6 Plus. Older Iphones do not have dont' have NFC chips in them.
    10-28-14 09:47 AM
    It only works Apple, specifically with Iphone 6/6 Plus. Older Iphones do not have dont' have NFC chips in them.
    So if stores only accept apple pay it leaves everyone out that doesn't own apple products. Wow, what happened to standardization? Pretty soon we are going to have Toyota only gas pumps.
    keepthetorch likes this.
    10-28-14 09:57 AM
140 12345 ...