I finally switched over from Blackberry afters years of battery pulls, promised upgrades that never came and just poor service from Blackberry. I love my new Iphone 4S, but hate the Personal Hotspot. Tried using my laptop and Ipad 2 using the Personal Hotspot feature, what a dissappointment as far as the speed. Using the Personal Hotspot, the speed is so slow I can't even run some of my programs. That was the main reason I went with the Iphone 4S. I must say teathering the Blackberry to my laptop, the speeds were so much faster. Maybe it is due to the teathering through an USB cord? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on this or ideas on how to improve the speed? I am with Verizon and had Verizon with my Blackberry. Might go back due to the Personal Hotspot doesn't work very well and is extremely slow.
    11-17-11 10:25 AM
    I don't use the hotspot feature because I refuse to give VZW any more money for a feature that should be included for nothing. They have data caps now (well on most accounts, I got in under the grandfathered unlimited rule) so they should make the hotspot feature free. I also live in NYC and there is a Starbucks every five feet here, so there are free hotspots all over this town.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was VZW throttling speeds on the hotspots. From what I have read, as unstable as AT&T is with voice calls, their data speeds are almost twice as fast as Verizon.
    11-17-11 12:21 PM
    a future jailbreak for ip4s will fix this...
    11-17-11 12:49 PM
    My hotspot works fine on AT&T. I usually tether to my iPad 2 through Bluetooth instead of wifi.
    11-17-11 09:44 PM
    My hotspot works fine on AT&T. I usually tether to my iPad 2 through Bluetooth instead of wifi.
    Same here. The hotspot is great for me on AT&T; though I may try tethering through bluetooth. So far, I've been tethering through wifi.
    12-06-11 08:42 AM
    I've used hotspot on my iPhone on VZW briefly and I never had any problems. Speeds were the same as usual.
    12-06-11 08:49 AM
    I finally switched over from Blackberry afters years of battery pulls, promised upgrades that never came and just poor service from Blackberry. I love my new Iphone 4S, but hate the Personal Hotspot. Tried using my laptop and Ipad 2 using the Personal Hotspot feature, what a dissappointment as far as the speed. Using the Personal Hotspot, the speed is so slow I can't even run some of my programs. That was the main reason I went with the Iphone 4S. I must say teathering the Blackberry to my laptop, the speeds were so much faster. Maybe it is due to the teathering through an USB cord? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions on this or ideas on how to improve the speed? I am with Verizon and had Verizon with my Blackberry. Might go back due to the Personal Hotspot doesn't work very well and is extremely slow.
    If Personal Hotspot(which i don't need or use), is the only reason that you went to an iPhone, then go back to BB, and stop complaining.
    ladyc0524 likes this.
    12-06-11 08:54 AM
    Same here. The hotspot is great for me on AT&T; though I may try tethering through bluetooth. So far, I've been tethering through wifi.
    I'd tether through Wi-Fi to be honest than Bluetooth if at all possible; it's inherently going to provide faster speed based on connection alone.
    12-06-11 12:06 PM
    does AT&T charge for this feature?

never mind... found this out on the AT&T site / chat with a sales rep:

Leah H.: Welcome to AT&T online Feature Sales. How may I assist you with your features today?

Randy: Leah, how can I activate my personal hotspot on my iPhone 4s?

Leah H.: Hi!

Leah H.: I'm happy to help!

Leah H.: Do you have the DataPro 4GB plan?

Randy: no.. only the 2GB plan

Leah H.: You would need to change to 4GB when you want to use the mobile hotspot feature.

Leah H.: Then you can change back to 2GB when you want to.

Leah H.: Did you want me to show you how to add that feature?

Randy: no, that's ok. Why is that?
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 12-06-11 at 10:40 PM.
    12-06-11 10:33 PM
    I'd tether through Wi-Fi to be honest than Bluetooth if at all possible; it's inherently going to provide faster speed based on connection alone.
    Thanks for the info! I'm sticking with the wifi tether
    12-07-11 03:00 PM
    The reason I tether to my iPad with Bluetooth is because when my iPad is in sleep mode, Wifi disconnects for some reason after a short amount of time. I honestly don't notice any difference in speed.
    12-07-11 06:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD