Hey guys, I just checked apple's site and it allows you to check if you are eligible to upgrade to an iphone 3gs. It says I'm able to.... for $200. On the bottom it says I have to have a new 2 year contract? So does that mean I have to renew my contract again? Doesn't it mean that I'm able to upgrade and just pay $200 and get it picked up at the store or do I have to wait for my contract to end and then be able to get the phone for $200 price? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    11-14-09 12:05 AM
    It probably means you can upgrade for $200, but they will extend your contract for another 2 yrs.
    11-14-09 05:24 AM
    It seems that you are eligible to purchase for $200. and then you contract will expire 2 years from the date of purchase.

With that being said, it's probably best to purchase from your carrier (Rogers?) so that there is no confusion.

I remember a while back AT&T & Apple had huge miscommunication issues as far as the upgrade eligibility. I read that lots of people went back and forth between stores to get clarity.
    11-14-09 08:07 AM
    It seems that att says I'm eligble to upgrade too. So in this case does this just simply mean...
    1. Go to att.
    2. Say I want to upgrade to 3gs.
    3. Receive my phone and get to keep my BB still.
    4. Walk out of the store?

Is it as simply as that or do I have to go through all that contract changing blah blah blah? Cause I want to keep my BB data plan and be able to switch back, but I'm sure if I buy it from att... then there going to make me switch data plans.

Thanks
    11-14-09 06:59 PM
    You don't have to switch plans when you buy the phone, at least I didn't have to, but I can see them making you. You can always switch back to the BB data plan whenever yo want. I currently SIM swap between my Bold and 3GS, and will continue to do so when I buy the 9700.

If you are eligible for upgrade pricing, that means you WILL have to renew your contract for 2 years of the date you purchased the iPhone.
    11-14-09 07:29 PM
    Anytime you use your upgrade and get the discounted price, you have to extend the contract. That is the point of getting the discounted price. Otherwise pick up one from ebay, craigslist or pay 600 bucks non-comittment price.
    11-14-09 08:01 PM
    It seems that att says I'm eligble to upgrade too. So in this case does this just simply mean...
    1. Go to att.

Is it as simply as that or do I have to go through all that contract changing blah blah blah? Cause I want to keep my BB data plan and be able to switch back, but I'm sure if I buy it from att... then there going to make me switch data plans.

Thanks
    No it is not as simple as that. If that were the case you could just purchase the phone for $200 and sell it for $600.

And I'm not 100% sure but I believe you must add the data plan when buying a smart phone now.
    11-14-09 08:15 PM
    1. Go to att.

Thanks

You'll have to extend your contract, and 10 to 1, they'll make you put the iPhone plan on. I believe it is required at the time of purchase, just like a data plan for BlackBerry is now required.
    11-14-09 08:18 PM
    1. Go to att.

Thanks
    If you use your upgrade it extends your contract 2 years. More than likely they will put the iPhone data plan on your line if you purchased in the store. The you would have to call AT&T to get them to switch back to your BB plan so you can swap SIMs. If you can wait a few days, order it on the internet. It won't switch your plan that way.
    11-14-09 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD