i have a 8100 pearl used for work, which only supports the bb. fine. i inherited an old iphone 2G 3.0. fine. i unlocked and jailbroke the iphone. fine. i swapped in my SIM into the iphone and the phone worked. fine. however the data did not, even though the "EDGE" seemed on got a msg that there was no "cellular data plan" for this device. not fine. after some research, came across and installed an APN fix (unlockit.co.nz) and tested data which now worked. great - everything is working.

out of curiosity, i checked my online cingular acct, and found my "data usage". from the BB plan that i have, i have unlimited data. sure enough, you can plainly see that usage to/from "blackberry.net" vs that of "wap.cingular" (which is basically what you need to set the iphone -- so obviously, cingular can tell how the SIM is being used (ie., in a BB or other device). i'm assuming they can decipher that i'm using an iphone w/ my SIM. i'm sure i'm not the only one...

Cingular notes: "If AT&T determines that you are using an iPhone on your account without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."

Has anyone w/ a BB plan been "charged" for data usage on the iphone? or has AT&T added a monthly iphone data plan ($30/mo) to your statement?
    08-14-09 02:08 PM
    They haven't added it to mine as I use a BlackBerry device with the $30 plan. This is the same price as the iPhone data plan.

The ones that AT&T is targeting are the ones on no data plan or plans that are not for smartphone/pda devices.
    08-14-09 02:11 PM
    thanks duvi.

i have a $45 bb data plan (much higher i assume bc of the corporate connection). plan says that MediaNet included (ie., internet content via cingular). i just wanted to be sure that they weren't trying to get BB users with an add'l iphone data plan charge! that would royally suck.

aren't those w/o data plans just charged a "pay as you go rate" (e.g., $0.01/kb)? i dropped my wife's sim into the iphone to test the phone and data (both worked), i'm assuming she'll just get dinged a meager charge for the two webpages we browsed. i imagine that if folks are habitually pulling down content, it would be cheaper for them to just get charged the $30 plan rate than pay the per kb fee.

if anyone else has a different experience, chime in. thanks all.
    08-14-09 04:10 PM
    a couple things..
    i work for ATT. The iphone data package includes provisioning for the Visual Voicemail which will not work with a BB data plan. anyone attempting to use an iphone without a data plan at all and is supject to 1cent per KB of data will most likely use 30 dollar worth of data in about 10 mins. i'm a normal user of an iphone and a BB 8900 - if i look at my data usage it would total about 10,000 dollars for one month at the 1cent per kb rate. People who try to use IPhone with a BB package shouldn't be charged an extra 30 dollars a month but just will not be able to use VVM. an Iphone user who try's to use their sim in a BB will however encounter many data issues due to the SIM not being registered with the blackberry server.
    08-14-09 08:56 PM
    txs Snowedin3. very insightful. i don't have a problem with them charging 0.01/kb for folks w/o plans, seems fair. as i primarily use the iphone for the slicker web interface rather than my small pearl screen, i'm glad to hear that i wont be charged for an additional data plan (at least lets all hope so). thanks again.

if anyone has a different experience, let us know.
    08-15-09 10:13 PM
    Anyone get their bills yet? I have an 8310 from my job - unlimited data\voice\text. I inherited an iPhone 8gb (the first one, I guess?) from a buddy, and would like to try it - but I'm a bit apprehensive. I had read somewhere that upon an iPhone registering on AT&T, the plan changes to an iPhone plan, but I have to question the validity of that.

Have any of you that are doing the swaps seeing any additional charges?

Thanks,

jdandison
    09-18-09 06:19 PM
    I work for AT&T as well. You won't necessarily be automatically charged for an iphone data plan. When you switch your sim card from the BB to the iphone, the data may work for some time, just not sure for how long. It will work until the AT&T billing system does a sweep. When that happens, your data will no longer work and you will have to change your imei in their system and then add the iphone data plan, which is also $30. As said before, if you're using an iphone without the data plan, you will not be able to use the vvm.

Also, to the one that was using his bb on an enterprise server. When the sweep goes through, you will have to get the iphone enterprise plan as well, if you're planning on using it for work.
    09-18-09 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD