I'm in the market for a new phone/pda. I've been looking at the Storm, and iPhone, but I am open to other suggestions. When in Brasil, the phone would be used mainly for calls and checking email. In Brasil they have many GSM providers, but they do have one CDMA provider (Vivo)

Listed below are features I want/need in a phone:

*need a phone that I can use on a Canadian network with a Canadian number and also use in Brasil on a Brasilian network with a Brasilian number

*touchscreen

*MP3/MP4 player

*GPS

*Email (personal use)

*Text messaging

*Skype (not sure if this is possible)

*Web surfing

*I live in a rural community in Central BC, at the moment Telus is only 3G provider in our area, however, where my house is, I don't have any network coverage. Only in town. Our current providers are Rogers, Telus, Bell

*interested in buying an antenna that could allow us to receive cell/internet at our house in order to enable us to replace our current isp

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and patience with a newbie
    01-31-09 02:19 PM
    since rogers in the only gsm network out of the 3 go with that,and between the iphone and storm,there has been many comparisons of this ,just search
    01-31-09 03:25 PM
    Are you saying that in order to use my phone in Brasil I need to go with GSM? If I understand, I would have one SIM card for Canada and one for Brasil.

Then I can just switch cards depending on what country I am in?

Rogers offers the iPhone and the Storm, do they both have SIM cards? Or is there a suggestion for a different phone that would suit my needs as mentioned in my first post....say the LG Dare? Please don't beat me up for saying that.....I AM a NEWBIE to PDA's!!!!

One shortfall for me going with Rogers is that they don't have any 3G coverage in my area (in Canada).

Would I be better off to buy an unlocked phone so I can use it on any carrier network of my choosing?
    01-31-09 04:46 PM
    bump...hoping for some help
    01-31-09 06:39 PM
    Hey, as far as I know neither Bell or Telus use sim cards and since they are the only vendors for the storm right now I think if you are going to be swapping sim cards the iphone is the obvious choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 07:02 PM
    u said theres alot more gsm providers and only 1 cdma provider,so it makes sense to go with gsm(rogers),k but does 3 g matter to you?and would u have 3g in brazil?and ya just unlock it so u can switch carriers,but if u dont want a touch screen go with either the 8900 curve or the bold(3g) both r nice,i would go for the iphone over the storm,the storm blows,u can jailbreak your iphone and use tons more apps and themes,good browser big screen etc,they compared the iphone vs the storm in other threads check them out.
    its whatever u want just look around about each one
    01-31-09 07:07 PM
    Hey, as far as I know neither Bell or Telus use sim cards and since they are the only vendors for the storm right now I think if you are going to be swapping sim cards the iphone is the obvious choice.

You're right, sorry for the confusion...I was talking to a girl at Costco and I think her booth sold Bell, Rogers, Fido and another carrier...got me confused thinking that the Storm was available through Rogers.

I wasn't sure if the iPhone had a sim card. If I unlock the phone, am I able to switch sim cards between Brasil and Canada? Will Rogers "know" I've unlocked my phone, and shut down my cell?

Thanks for your response
    01-31-09 07:12 PM
    u said theres alot more gsm providers and only 1 cdma provider,so it makes sense to go with gsm(rogers),k but does 3 g matter to you?and would u have 3g in brazil?and ya just unlock it so u can switch carriers,but if u dont want a touch screen go with either the 8900 curve or the bold(3g) both r nice,i would go for the iphone over the storm,the storm blows,u can jailbreak your iphone and use tons more apps and themes,good browser big screen etc,they compared the iphone vs the storm in other threads check them out.
    its whatever u want just look around about each one

Hey, thanks for your response! As for 3G in Brasil, I'm not sure....I've sent an email to a friend there to find out if they have it, yet. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure if 3G is important to me or not, since I'm not sure I understand it completely.

Currently Telus is our only 3G provider and it doesn't look like Rogers will be expanding anytime soon for our area. That said, if I buy a Storm through Telus, and unlock it, am I able to put a sim card in it???
    01-31-09 07:20 PM
    I know lots of people with unlocked iPhones and I have never heard of a case of rogers locking down someones phone. I think you're in the clear I have been doing my research because I'm going to get an iphone on the 6th and wanted to make sure it was perfect. And from what I want out of a phone and provider(Rogers) its perfect!

01-31-09 07:22 PM
    Hey, thanks for your response! As for 3G in Brasil, I'm not sure....I've sent an email to a friend there to find out if they have it, yet. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure if 3G is important to me or not, since I'm not sure I understand it completely.

Currently Telus is our only 3G provider and it doesn't look like Rogers will be expanding anytime soon for our area. That said, if I buy a Storm through Telus, and unlock it, am I able to put a sim card in it???
    pretty much all 3g is a faster network ,its good for downloading videos etc
    but if u got an iphone u could always just upload from ur computer,i hardley use 3g except for browsing and watching video off of youtube,yeah thats all u have to do,but read up on the storm cause alot of ppl dont like them,do u only want a touch screen?
    01-31-09 07:28 PM
    I know lots of people with unlocked iPhones and I have never heard of a case of rogers locking down someones phone. I think you're in the clear I have been doing my research because I'm going to get an iphone on the 6th and wanted to make sure it was perfect. And from what I want out of a phone and provider(Rogers) its perfect!

yeah once u buy the phone rogers cant do ****,ur just paying for the service not the phone anymore,and yes the iphone is an awsome phone and make sure you update to the newest os through itunes,and then jailbreak it,u will like it so much more
    01-31-09 07:31 PM

Hee hee hee...guess "Big Brother" makes me a little nervous!!!

I was worried if they found out I unlocked my phone they might disable it and tell me I can't use it anymore cause I wasn't supposed to unlock it as per their terms of agreement.

I had one guy at a store tell me to be careful with iPhone, iPod etc. because Apple is working on some way of blocking users from playing songs downloaded from sources other than iTunes. Eg: if you downloaded a song from Limewire or some other site, iTunes/iPhone etc will recognize the originating file and block you from playing it on their hardware??? I have no idea if it's true, though. That's why I'm asking questions here....

If you don't mind, can I ask you what it is that made you decide on the iPhone???
    01-31-09 07:33 PM
    but if u got an iphone u could always just upload from ur computer,i hardley use 3g except for browsing and watching video off of youtube,yeah thats all u have to do,but read up on the storm cause alot of ppl dont like them,do u only want a touch screen?
    Thanks for that info....good to know. That helps me, cause where I live (my house is rural) I don't get any cell phone coverage. So in my city I only use my cell phone when I go to town. Mainly for phone calls and the odd text message. But I do travel to Vancouver frequently, and when I am there, I would use my phone a lot more for retrieving emails, making calls, text messaging, and web surfing (although admittedly that would be mainly Facebook). When I travel to Brasil, I would use my phone mainly for making calls and if possible checking emails.

Although, a sidenote to the above, is that we are interested in looking into buying an antenna that can allow us to have cell coverage at our house, then we could get rid of our crappy isp and use Telus or Rogers network instead.
    01-31-09 07:45 PM

Yeah, I have my heart set on a touch screen phone....
    01-31-09 07:54 PM
    I decided on the iphone because it has a lot better media than the blackberry and rogers has the best 3G coverage in my area. I spend a lot of time on the bus each day (university is far from home) and I do a lot of mobile browsing. I Also figured the abundance of apps and games for the iphone will keep my sanity during those long toronto bus rides :P I also have a sister with a storm and I haved used it for a bit and decided I wasn't a big fan of the giant button thing going on with the storm. Typing was a little slow and awkward and I could feel my forearms a little bit after typing a rather lengthy forum post and a few emails. Probably due to the pressing down of the screen.

01-31-09 07:57 PM
    I decided on the iphone because it has a lot better media than the blackberry.
    What media do you like better?

[QUOTE] I also have a sister with a storm and I haved used it for a bit and decided I wasn't a big fan of the giant button thing going on with the storm. [QUOTE]

What is the giant button thing?

Thanks again for your help!
    01-31-09 08:13 PM
    yeah so go with rogers with a 3g iphone,u`ll be happy,great media and browsing,tons of apps,and again u can jailbreak it which makes it better
    on the storm the app buttons r kinda big
    01-31-09 09:45 PM
    what does jailbreaking do?
    01-31-09 10:07 PM
    jailbreaking it alows you to do things apple didnt want you to have like themes...also u can download tons more apps and songs for free
    02-01-09 05:54 PM
    the storm comes with a roaming sim card.
    02-01-09 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD