I posted this in sook's thread, but I felt like it's own thread would be more relevant:

My dad & I are making the same switch from VZW for the 3G s. Would it be better to go in and set up accounts + buy the phone from the AT&T store rather than the mac store? My dad is guessing there would probably be better bargaining power at the AT&T store in terms of working out a cheaper plan or some kind of discount.
    06-20-09 07:05 PM
    I posted this in sook's thread, but I felt like it's own thread would be more relevant:

My dad & I are making the same switch from VZW for the 3G s. Would it be better to go in and set up accounts + buy the phone from the AT&T store rather than the mac store? My dad is guessing there would probably be better bargaining power at the AT&T store in terms of working out a cheaper plan or some kind of discount.
    It doesn't matter as the price of the plan is set and can only be changed by being eligible for a corporate discount because of who you work for.
    06-20-09 07:17 PM

Yeah you most likely won't be able to negotiate anything with the plan prices. You may be able to swing some services free for a short period of time but nothing that's really relevant. I like going into Apple than AT&T. I hate going into the stores to deal with them with anything. Also another thing you can do is call and speak with someone. They can set your accounts up over the phone and then you can finish in the AT&T store is that's where you want to go. Saves some time.
    06-20-09 07:27 PM
    I usually choose AT&T, not because they have better reps in the stores, but if there is an issue, they are able to override easily. If there is an issue in the Apple store where an override is needed, you'll probably be sent to an AT&T store.
    06-20-09 07:40 PM
    thanks all. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything in the most cost efficient way. Selling my unlocked Storm on ebay real soon
    06-20-09 07:51 PM
    I usually choose AT&T, not because they have better reps in the stores, but if there is an issue, they are able to override easily. If there is an issue in the Apple store where an override is needed, you'll probably be sent to an AT&T store.
    Yup that's true. But I don't think a new customer will have too many issues that Apple can't fix in their store. But a current customer may have to go to AT&T to get some things fixed that apple can't do.
    06-20-09 08:08 PM
    Yup that's true. But I don't think a new customer will have too many issues that Apple can't fix in their store. But a current customer may have to go to AT&T to get some things fixed that apple can't do.
    Unless he's porting and keeping his number.
    06-20-09 08:51 PM
    Unless he's porting and keeping his number.
    I know I can keep my # by switching carriers, but is there ANY way to transfer contacts from Storm to Iphone besides syncing my contacts to outlook?
    06-20-09 11:08 PM
    I know I can keep my # by switching carriers, but is there ANY way to transfer contacts from Storm to Iphone besides syncing my contacts to outlook?
    I used pocketmac on my macbook not sure what OS you have but that worked fine for me.
    06-23-09 07:50 PM
    I would go to Apple, should you have questions about the device AT&T would look at you with a blank stare. Apple wants AT&T to have as little to do with the iPhone as necessary.
    06-23-09 08:07 PM
    It really doesn't matter... Both Apple and AT&T are extremely weird about the iPhone. If you go to either, you're likely to get incorrect answers anyway, and you'll pay the same regardless... If I remember right, I don't think the iPhone qualifies for any sort of equipment or service discount for any corporate account, even AT&T's.
    06-23-09 08:11 PM
    It really doesn't matter... Both Apple and AT&T are extremely weird about the iPhone. If you go to either, you're likely to get incorrect answers anyway, and you'll pay the same regardless... If I remember right, I don't think the iPhone qualifies for any sort of equipment or service discount for any corporate account, even AT&T's.
    No it does not qualify for any discount you are correct but you are mistaken on Apple reps not knowing their products. Apple reps are very well versed on 1. Their products 2. Customer Service.

There hasn't been one Apple store that gave me that "Best Buy" (ex. 16 year old saying a PS3 can't play regular DVD's) experience.
    06-23-09 08:20 PM
    I would assume it is the same...the AT&T store transferred my numbers from a Verizon Curve to the Iphone 3GS yesterday.
    06-24-09 01:20 AM
    you dont activate the plan or phones in the store... at all..

you take them home and activate them on itunes.
    06-24-09 02:59 AM
    Hi LarZo,
    Were you able to figure a way to move your storm contacts to your iphone. Also let me know how much you were able to sell your unlocked storm for on ebay. Pretty soon I will be listing mine too...I just ordered an Iphone yesterday..gotta see how it works out
    06-24-09 09:44 AM
    Sandos,
    you may be wrong on iphone not be being eligible for any corporate discount. I got a discount of 14$ on my (450min+data plan) because of the corporate discount.

-Baidya
    06-24-09 09:48 AM
    No it does not qualify for any discount you are correct but you are mistaken on Apple reps not knowing their products. Apple reps are very well versed on 1. Their products 2. Customer Service.

There hasn't been one Apple store that gave me that "Best Buy" (ex. 16 year old saying a PS3 can't play regular DVD's) experience.
    That's true... But I was more or less talking about Apple reps not knowing AT&T's side of the story. If you start asking them about AT&T stuff, maybe you hit problems, maybe not. Although at the same time, you probably just get the same answers from both when it comes to AT&T service because I'm convinced AT&T reps don't know either.
    06-25-09 04:50 PM
    Sandos,
    you may be wrong on iphone not be being eligible for any corporate discount. I got a discount of 14$ on my (450min+data plan) because of the corporate discount.

-Baidya
    Service maybe... Although you'd be the first I've heard of. Equipment, not since the last time I checked.
    06-25-09 04:51 PM
    you dont activate the plan or phones in the store... at all..

you take them home and activate them on itunes.
    2G only, both Apple and AT&T activate your 3G and 3G S at the store before you leave.
    06-25-09 07:05 PM
    bestbuy never activated my 3gs they didnt even open the box just scanned it, charged me for it and i went home
    06-25-09 08:34 PM
    bestbuy never activated my 3gs they didnt even open the box just scanned it, charged me for it and i went home
    Go back and buy 6 right now... You don't need an extra $3 grand in your pocket or what?
    06-25-09 09:24 PM
    Go back and buy 6 right now... You don't need an extra $3 grand in your pocket or what?
    Yea that would be nice. I don't understand why the let you leave without opening the box. Did you sign a contract? Did you pay full retail?
    06-25-09 09:38 PM
    i signed a 2yr contract and i paid $199 which ended up being $212.43 after tax. why would i buy 6 more? i didnt pay full retail so... its not worth all that hassle paypal will hold funds for such high transfers I HATE paypal seriously its a crazy joke

they didnt open the box because i asked the kid not to i said i wanted to be the only person who touches it.. real young kid he was cool about it
    06-25-09 09:53 PM
    Service maybe... Although you'd be the first I've heard of. Equipment, not since the last time I checked.
    i have been pricing out a plan with an iphone and i get a corp. discount and everything calculated as if it worked. But no discount on texting plans or device.
    06-26-09 05:41 PM
    Although at the same time, you probably just get the same answers from both when it comes to AT&T service because I'm convinced AT&T reps don't know either.
    I ordered my 3GS the other day and I started talking to the AT&T reps in the store about their network updates, how to use GPS on BBs without ATT navigator and some other things. Before I was even done they asked me if I would like to work for AT&T. This also happened when I went to the Verizon store to check out the Storm when it came out. Most carrier reps don't know that much, but there are a lot that do.
    06-26-09 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD