Um.. I have dropped it ear height as well as kicked across hard flooring (VCT type) all in the same event. Picked it up.. reinserted the sim card and the phone was absolutely fine . It's apparent you haven't owned an iPhone, if you have you must have the China copy. No case..sorry.
    Im not jumping on him for anything.

Im saying that HIS experience is being used as a case for why it is not fragile.

Im saying that HIS experience is simply that...so unless he drops it 800 times like that and has some sort of statistics, it shouldnt be used as example of how fragile or not the iphone is.
    12-08-09 03:13 PM
    Entertainment72 was giving HIS experience, I dont know why you felt the need to jump his junk. The person he was responding to had made a GENERAL, BLANKET statement that if you drop it itll break, which just isnt true, so the rebuttal was a personal experience where it DIDNT break. This WHOLE THREAD is based on SUBJECTIVE, PERSONAL OPINIONS. Now a personal opinion response isnt good enough?

Personal opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one.

Its a phone, if you dont like it no one is forcing you to post here about it!! I have no clue why people feel some inherent need to come to this subforum specifically to bash on it or just be negative, negative, negative and put one little good spin on it so they dont look like trolls. Im more than positive no one's personal feelings are hurt, but its just ANNOYING time after time to read the same rehashed arguments over and over and over- opinion, opinion, opinion.

If you put your foot on the screen right now and broke it I could care less, if 2 million people did it I could care less. People use the phone because THEY like it, not what others say about it. I dont mean to use this thread as a rant, but these personal opinions are getting out of control now and just cause fights because of clashing of opinions. There's already about 1.5 million reviews out there that go over every little aspect of every difference between every phone vs iphone out there after 2.5 years on the market. And everyone here could make their own review thread and have completely different points. I just dont see the whole point in it to getting to what goal exactly.

I think the point is that this is a place that someone comes to get information. Why do people review anything? Hes sharing his opinions to give knowledge to someone else who is the same situation. Myabe someone else out there values what he has to say and helps them make a decision. Sometimes people will come on here and argue, but thats all a part of a forum. If you dont like peoples personal opinions, then dont click on the thread and read it. The whole point of a forum is to share opinions and ideas. If this aspect of it doesnt appeal to you, just ignore it.
    12-08-09 03:20 PM
    Where can you get the external batteries you refer to? Do you then recharge that external battery at home?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 03:55 PM
    Where can you get the external batteries you refer to? Do you then recharge that external battery at home?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    There are quite a few out there.

They tend to have either have an Apple connector that plugs directly into the phone, or else they require you to run your power cable from the phone to the battery, which would have a USB input. The plus side to the second type is that you could use it to power other USB devices, like your bluetooth headset, ipod, etc..

The one I ordered is the I-up 5400. Amazon.com: External Battery for Iphone, Iphone 3g, Iphone 3gs, T-mobile G1, Ipod, Sidekick, Blackberry, Nokia, I-UP 5400 Mah: Electronics

There are more expensive ones, that have less power but integrate some sort of a case into it, and there are ones that hold only a moderate amount of back up charge but are far less expensive (as low as $15 or so).

For me, the 5400mah pretty much guarantees a whole lot of backup power for the phone and my bluetooth. I often only charge my bluetooth once a week, so it runs dry when I least expect it.
    12-08-09 05:40 PM
    Thanks for the review.

One point that could have been worded differently was "The IPhone feels fragile, as did the Bold". Feeling fragile and being fragile (at least in my eyes) are different. IMO, the iPhone feels very solid, but may agree that it can be fragile, especially when landing on concrete.

I have and use both daily (3Gs & 9700). Both have some weak points and both have strengths.

Cons for iPhone (without jailbreaking):

• No 3rd party app multitasking, but this doesn't bother me at all, especially with a lot of the apps saving where you were last.
    • Message Notification. The BB is too far ahead either as Android & Palm have this category.
    • Led Indicator. Like the multitasking, it doesn't bother me, but would welcome this feature with open arms.
    • Push Services. Although (unlike the OP) I receive my Gmail & MobileMe usually faster or at the same time as my berry, that isn't the case for all email accounts.
    • No BIS. I would like to be able to setup my email accounts online and be able to have different sigs for each as well as having a reply-to for each.
      Volume. The speakerphone and earpiece volume sucks. If you use a headset or bluetooth, this may not even matter, but I don't.

Cons for BB:

• Memory Leak. Adding more memory shouldn't be the solution.
    • No true HTML email.
    • Media. I hate having to add each picture to emails/mms one by one. With the iPhone, I can copy/paste them.
    • Stale OS. This leads to apps that aren't as rich as the iPhone. Even the Android apps aren't as good.
    • Backup. The normal backup process doesn't save "everything". With the iPhone, everything including 3rd party apps are backed up.

To address some of your points... The iPhone isn't "less" business-like as much as it is more "fun". It's not that the iPhone is a toy, but I can honestly say, productivity can easily decrease when you have an iPhone. Who doesn't want to play a quick game of crash bandicoot in between doing work. The iPhone has a lot of the same capabilities for businesses as the BlackBerry does with Exchange.

Touchscreen is untouchable. I type faster and more accurate (thanks to autocorrection) than I do on my berry. This isn't even a close race for me.

Safari kills the battery. Of course it would. The iPhone has a bigger screen and renders computer-like surfing. It also does tabbed browsing while running in the background. Find a screen that big, with that speed, and the same or better rendering that doesn't kill the battery.

Applications. Another big difference is the cost of those apps. Far more expensive on a BB while not being as feature rich or functional as the iPhone. Also, for the same reason above (for safari) would apply here being the reason for the battery being drained faster.

Reception. I get more bars than I do with my Bold. My 3Gs has 5 bars consistently, while my Bold usually does, but I will find it at 4 bars from time to time. Now... one year ago, this wasn't the case. It was reversed, better 3G reception with the Bold. With the 9700, they seem to be both on par, none being better than the other.

I do understand you may not have wanted it to seem bias, but all the points that were brought up seem to have a negative for the iPhone and no positive only (as they contained a negative alongside).
    12-08-09 11:03 PM
    i had the bold AND the bold 9700 and i find the iphone to be worlds funner and overall more enjoyable. like i actually WANT to use it, not just have it do what it can...does that make any sense?

and the iphone 3GS does not feel fragile AT ALL to me...
    I totally agree with your statement.
    With my pearl/curve I only used it when I had a message, or needed to check crackberry. Now since I have gotten the iphone I cant seem to put it down! Sure battery life isnt amazing, but I charged my pearl 5 times a day versus 2 times with the iphone. It all comes down to what you want/need. I have gotten so much s*** from everyone about going to iphone, but frankly I dont care. The iphone does what I want it to and its perfect for me. End of story.
    12-09-09 12:21 AM
    I thought OP gave a fair and accurate review of each phone, highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of both.

I personally had both the 3GS and the BB Tour, and in the end I preferred to BB over the iphone. Not taking anything away from the iphone because it is a great device, but it just wasn't for me. I maybe in the minority here, but I dislike touchscreen phones (ocd) and AT&T plans/service (not a strike against the iphone itself).

I don't understand why people get all worked up over these reviews. They are quite useful for those people who are undecided about purchasing these devices.
    12-09-09 03:21 PM
    Boy am I glad that I decided to do more research here before making a purchase. I have a 8310 Curve, have had it almost 2 years (since March 08) and absolutely enjoy using the phone. Both my wife and I were nearing the end of our 2 year commitment with AT&T, so I was certain that we needed to upgrade to the Bold 9700's but after talking with several users of each phone, numerous evenings researching on the internet, and finally talking to the "salesman" at AT&T we purchased an Iphone for my wife while I continue to use my Curve. So far the experience has yet to sway me one way or the other and I think I won't rush out and make a choice until the day comes when my Curve no longer works. My wife upgraded from a Razor and has become quite attached to her Iphone. I am not bald or a CEO but just a land surveyor who uses his phone daily to keep in contact with my family, field crews, the office, and plenty of clients. What did we do before cell phones. Thanks to everyone here who has taken the time to jot down a few words of wisdom from there expierences.
    12-14-09 10:46 PM
    went from iphone 3G to blackberry to iphone 3GS, the only reason was that AT&T had international roaming, but with iphone, you really can do much much more with their apps. i think blackberry need to step up their game and their OS in order to compete now..
    12-15-09 01:50 PM
    The only thing I would comment on is your following statement
    The lack of an LED, the reduced push capability (push is certainly not as good on the IPhone), and the feeling that I constantly need to unlock the phone and check to see if I missed a call/email/sms, makes it clearly lacking compared to the Bold in every way, when it applies to peace of mind in knowing your phone will quickly let you know recent transpirations.
    In my case and I have both the Storm 1 and iPhone, if I needed to do anything on the Strom I too have to enter a password to unlock then check e-mail and everything else. After a minute the Strom auto locks.
    it's because my storm is a corporate phone and they force you to lock it, now with my iPhone I hit the slider and I'm in.

You must have the bold as a personal phone and not have a password on it.
    12-15-09 02:27 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD