I'm using a Bold, but I have an iPhone laying around. Is it possible for me to stick my Bold's sim into the iPhone and be able to use everything? i.e. internet email?
    07-11-09 12:23 AM
    Be careful with this because this has been talked about before. If you stick your SIM card in a iPhone and ATT finds out, they will bill you differently then you get billed for your BlackBerry is my understanding.
    07-11-09 12:38 AM
    Be careful with this because this has been talked about before. If you stick your SIM card in a iPhone and ATT finds out, they will bill you differently then you get billed for your BlackBerry is my understanding.
    How did you come to this understanding exactly? 1. Never seen anyone on this forum that's run into any problems doing that (if they set up they're data network correctly on the their iPhone). 2. I myself have never run into any problems personally and I'm running the exact same set up the OP suggests.

To the OP... go for it, but perhaps be vigilant. If they do charge you overages for some reason; obviously you have more than two feet to stand on since you're paying the exact same amount for an UNLIMITED data plan on your Bold.
    Last edited by sandos; 07-11-09 at 01:29 AM.
    07-11-09 01:27 AM
    The suggestion was made on this forum somewhere that if you don't let AT&T know you are SIM swapping, they may shift you off of BIS to an iphone plan. If you tell them, they will supposedly set up or note your account that you are SIM swapping between an iphone and a BB so you are not shifted off of BIS. FYI iphone will work on a BB plan except for Visual Voice mail, but a BB will not work on an iphone plan as it needs BIS or BES to do anything but be a phone.
    07-11-09 07:07 AM
    How did you come to this understanding exactly? 1. Never seen anyone on this forum that's run into any problems doing that (if they set up they're data network correctly on the their iPhone). 2. I myself have never run into any problems personally and I'm running the exact same set up the OP suggests.

To the OP... go for it, but perhaps be vigilant. If they do charge you overages for some reason; obviously you have more than two feet to stand on since you're paying the exact same amount for an UNLIMITED data plan on your Bold.
    Is there a right way to set up the iPhone data network? The internet on my iPhone isn't working right now.
    07-11-09 12:04 PM
    the right way would be to call att and let them know that you are using an iphone. although it would be convienent to just switch sims, i dont think that you are able to do that between iphones and blackberry's with much success.
    07-11-09 01:22 PM
    Sounds as if everyone here is talking about AT&T, but I am on Rogers in Canada and I do swap back and forth between my iPhone and BB using a BIS plan.

I am not sure what Roger's official stance is but their tech support guys have told me this isn't a problem (unofficially). However I have read in other forums that if you don't use your SIM in your BB a minimum amount they will shift you off the BIS to a regular data plan. Seems that if your primary phone is a BB this doesn't become an issue but if the iPhone is, it could become one if you don't use the BB with enough frequency.

I am not familiar with AT&T's policies but this is the case with Rogers up here.
    07-14-09 03:04 PM
    You can use a Blackberry SIM in an iPhone and everything works. All data aspects work 100%

The only thing that doesnt is visual voicemail, that's part of the iPhone data plan.
    07-14-09 05:15 PM
    To clarify, AT&T will not automatically switch your data plan without your consent.
    Since 3.0, you MUST use an iPhone data plan on an iPhone for data to work... Luckily, there's a way to remain on your BB data plan and still use data on the iPhone if you follow the instructions found here.
    And as long as your data plan's cost is equivalent to the iPhone's data plan cost, you will not be charged any differently.
    07-14-09 05:19 PM
    To clarify, AT&T will not automatically switch your data plan without your consent.
    Since 3.0, you MUST use an iPhone data plan on an iPhone for data to work... Luckily, there's a way to remain on your BB data plan and still use data on the iPhone if you follow the instructions found here.
    And as long as your data plan's cost is equivalent to the iPhone's data plan cost, you will not be charged any differently.
    This is the truth. I use to SIM swap between my 3G and my Bold and AT&T never tried to switch my plan. I never did receive one of those texts either that said you must switch to the appropriate plan.

Also, if you do call up AT&T and tell them that you will be swapping your SIM between a BB and an iPhone and you want to keep BIS, there should be no issue and they will do it for you. Although you will need to follow the steps from the link savioAMG provided.
    07-14-09 05:38 PM
    On a slightly different but related topic... Does anyone know how to avoid recieving in mass all the emails qued up on your BIS (the ones you got while SIM was in your iPhone)?

If you pop your SIM back into the BB while in the office, everyone just looks at you as they think your Berry is going cRzAy when your phone keeps buzzing and sounding alerts sound non-stop for a few minutes as the emails come piling in...
    07-14-09 05:53 PM
    I can vouch for the fact that the link provided by Savio does work...

I put my Bold sim in my 3g for a week before my bill cycle cut and replaced it a day before the cycle closed on 7/9. I was able to view my bill today and there are no extra charges at all...

Additionally, I put my wife's sim in the 3g for a couple of days WITHOUT A DATA PLAN, and there were no additional charges for her line either...(each time she was away from wifi, she was blocked access to any data services)...
    07-14-09 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD