Adobe finally brings Flash to iPhone and iPad

This is for real. I'm worried how this will affect BB Playbook sales? I am curious how this will run on Apple devices. My hopes this implementation is ****ty, and that it doesn't gain much traction in the market, or that Apple blocks it.

~Raj
    09-09-11 12:35 PM
    Well it's a version that allows their HTML (or atleast their brand/services) to run flash video... only. So still no games animation and what not.
    Anyways yeah, they're getting there. Adobe is getting left behind, and they know it... you can read it at CNET as well.

EDIT: Corrected some typos... lol.
    09-09-11 12:38 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...rowser-646450/

Is it this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 12:42 PM
    Seems like it is not exactly flash... more like a publisher-side patch. Someone smarter than me will explain it... well... to me.

Competition is good for us. The better iOS devices get, the more work competitors are gonna have to put into their devices. We (consumers) win.
    09-09-11 12:46 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/apple-i...rowser-646450/

Is it this?

No, it's more like a this...
    Apple iPads, iPhones get Flash video at last | Apple - CNET News
    09-09-11 12:49 PM
    That's not the most accurate headline. This sounds like its for content publishers to get around having to make a second copy of their content just for iOS devices. It will save some companies money and maybe some companies that aren't duplicating their library for iOS currently will look into it, but it's not like the iPhone will now stop seeing blue lego blocks...
    09-09-11 12:51 PM
    That's not the most accurate headline. This sounds like its for content publishers to get around having to make a second copy of their content just for iOS devices. It will save some companies money and maybe some companies that aren't duplicating their library for iOS currently will look into it, but it's not like the iPhone will now stop seeing blue lego blocks...
    Yes exactly. Its nothing to do with Flash coming to iOS devices, it's to do with the Flash Media Server being able to serve up the video stream in a format iOS surpports.

Since this has nothing to do with BB moving to Apple forum.
    09-09-11 12:54 PM
    Still streaming over remote servers? Not able to just go to Flash Web Gallery | best flash websites and run anything? This is akin to developers having to port their apps to other platforms, Adobe is just creating some kind of marketplace for publishers to re-post their content on special servers. Kind of cool they can just do it without Apples approval, but not sure why you would waste your money on this instead of just making an iPhone compatible app.
    09-09-11 01:00 PM
    Ardent iOS supporters have been clamoring for true Flash support for years, and with the announcement of their new version of Flash Media Server, Adobe completely fails to deliver. Instead, they’ve managed to update their media server with a way to get streaming Flash video running on Apple’s myriad iOS devices.

Alas, while you can’t start working through your backlog of artsy Flash games, Flash Media Server 4.5 allows content producers to easily to get their Flash content onto iOS devices without any additional headache.

While older versions of the media server served up video streams in the F4F format, the update has added support for the HTTP Live Streaming format, which iPads and the like can handle just fine.

The media server system, according to ZDNet, detects the device’s level of Flash-capability and will switch over to using the HLS format when it sees an iOS device. It’s actually pretty ironic: in order to make Flash video streaming work, the new version of Media Server actually has to un-Flash the content and wrap it in another, more iOS-friendly container.

While it isn’t the Holy Grail of iOS Flash support, it’s a solution that works, and will make life easier for those in the unenviable position of managing live video streams. Hopefully Adobe has a team sequestered in a bunker working getting actual Flash support working now that they’ve managed to cross “streaming video” off the list.
    Adobe Gives Up On Apple, Works Around iOS’ Flash Video Limitations | TechCrunch
    09-09-11 01:01 PM
    Isn't that just a workaround so then iOS doesn't have to certify/support it or whatever natively?
    Did I read that right? $4500 for publishers? Whoa.
    but not sure why you would waste your money on this instead of just making an iPhone compatible app.
    Because an app would still require you to duplicate your Flash video library to an iOS-compatible one.
    aawilson likes this.
    09-09-11 01:03 PM
    Congrats to those who want to see flash content and are not currently using one of the other workarounds.

Although this isn't perfect, hopefully it will stop some of the complaining on forums. Seems to be the only people who care about flash anyways. I have not met one person IRL who has complained about iOS not supporting flash. Everyone I know who has an Android device doesn't even know what "flash" means. Once I say "web games" then they understand.
    09-09-11 01:25 PM
    I don't play web games, but a lot of the sites I visit have Flash content. I'm glad I have it.

09-09-11 01:36 PM
    This is really nothing to write home about. It's just something to help websites. Most provide a way currently for iphones/ipads to view videos. This new server just allows them to do it easier and with JUST the flash content and not have to have separate iphone/ipad content. And 4500 is NOT a bad price for them to do it. I bet ESPN buys this in a heartbeat!

Little rinky dink sites that DON'T have seperate iphone content probably won't have the 4500 to buy this either. I highly doubt this will have any impact at all on flash based tablet sales. If you want a flash tab you still have to go PlayBook, Android or TouchPad. This will have NO effect on PlayBook sales! The sky is NOT falling.
    09-09-11 03:04 PM
    Why would Apple users care about this. They don't need Flash or any workaround. Steve Jobs told them so.
    aawilson and quik4life like this.
    09-09-11 04:17 PM

This is for real. I'm worried how this will affect BB Playbook sales? I am curious how this will run on Apple devices. My hopes this implementation is ****ty, and that it doesn't gain much traction in the market, or that Apple blocks it.

~Raj
    So you don't hope RIM builds something that can compete with the ipad but rather hope the ipads version of flash is ****ty? That's why RIM isn't going any where, they have people like you in top spots. You probably also think that the camera on the 9930 is good lmao

09-09-11 07:07 PM
    It would be like trying to watch a movie in a foreign language with subtitles. It wouldn't be the real deal but at least you would have an idea of what's happening.
    09-09-11 10:31 PM

~Raj
    Wow, nice try ... calling the attention with your victim like attitude. "Im worried" yeah sure.. first investigate what is that about. Dont come saying "This is for real".. you dont even know what that means. IT IS NOT FLASH.
    You wont be able to play facebook games on ipad.. you wont be able to play pocker online, no miniclip, nothing. No hulu online, no netflix online..

Drama queen
    09-09-11 11:43 PM
    WOW!!!nNo netflix-Darn!!!

09-10-11 08:48 PM
    WOW!!!nNo netflix-Darn!!!

iOS already has a Hulu and Netflix app.
    09-10-11 09:17 PM
    iOS already has a Hulu and Netflix app.
    Yes...
    Cannot play netflix online... neither Hulu
    09-11-11 10:30 AM
    Yes...
    Cannot play netflix online... neither Hulu
    But you can still watch them while using the apps that they have for both of them

09-11-11 12:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD