hey guys am new to the forum and i dont know wich one to pick if a bb bold 9700 or a (jailbreak) iphone 3g (NO 3Gs) ... please help me and tell me one of those and why thx

btw my carrier is T- mobile
    07-20-10 02:38 AM
    BB will have way better and more reliable push e-mail. BB is way more user customizable. If you want simple bare bones settings, iphone is the better choice. The iphone 3g will be slower than the BB for sure. I'd consider the 3gs rather than the 3g if I were you. If it's between the 3g and the 9700 though, I'd get the BB for sure. And it depends on whether you want a touch screen or not and whether you want to deal with itunes or not instead of just drag and drop for the BB. And so far, I've had waaaaaaay better reception with any of my blackberries than my 3gs.
    07-20-10 07:53 AM
    I definitely go with the BB. I mean I use my iphone 3G but only for a limited amount of times. Just cuz it runs so much slower than my bb. & just like what bamalamwoahblackberry said BB is more customizable. I rather not want to deal with itunes and such. It just really depends on your preference.
    07-20-10 10:59 AM
    Do you need the browser? If you frequently need to use the browser, then you should go with the 3G. If you jailbreak the 3G, it will run a bit slower, not much but a bit, especially if you install Winterboard. That was a dealbreaker for me, and back when I had the 3G, I went back to standard. If you upgrade to iOS 4, 3G again slows down, so unless the new added features are important to you, you shouldn't upgrade.
    07-20-10 12:12 PM
    You will never get 3G service on an iphone with tmobile, only EDGE.
    07-20-10 12:31 PM
    You will never get 3G service on an iphone with tmobile, only EDGE.
    Does every single 9700 work on T-Mobile's 3G bands or just the ones you buy directly from T-Mobile?
    07-20-10 03:54 PM
    I've used a 3GS and a Bold 9000 both on AT$T, and here's my advice:

You decide what you need. If your needs are more media and text message/email related, the iphone is not a bad choice. It has many pluses, including browser (unparalled IMO), the ipod function is really nice.
    Never used one on t-mob so I can't attest to the data speeds. But do know this, that you will be locked in to your computer through iTunes. It was torture for me, coming from a BB to iphone, and you get an attachment in an email and can't save it directly to the phone; nope, has to go through itunes. Want a ringtone? have to really mess around with it just to get it to work. And the actual phone itself? Ugh.

Now, on the other hand, if you need a real phone, that can make calls, go with a BB, ok? I'm not a fanboy, I'm someone who has used both. My area has great coverage, so I didn't drop all that many calls, but the call quality really left something to be desired. There were times I would call into work to check my vm and the system wouldn't recognize the tones coming from the phone. Didn't happen on any other phone I used. The customizable alerts on the BB are great, I reallly missed those. Obviously the web browsing experience leaves something to be desired but they are working on that. Battery life is a big plus.

Those were the pros and cons for me. Read through them, see what others say, and then ask yourself what do you need? Not, which is a better status symbol, but which phone will fit your needs, and go with that one.

And know this: I"m not trashing the iphone, or championing the BB; those were just my experiences.
    07-20-10 09:20 PM
    I'm not sure about other types of files, but photos and excel spreadsheets save fine onto my iPhone. Photos save in the camera roll and spreadsheets save in iBooks. Another thing to think about is if you receive large attachments in your emails. I frequently get 10MB attachments with my emails. iPhone will handle it fine. I'm not sure what happens with BB, but I believe there is a much smaller size limit.

Edit: forgot PDF files also save in iBooks.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 07-20-10 at 10:08 PM.
    07-20-10 09:52 PM
    With those to selection I would defiantly get the 97. I use to have the 3G I think 2 years ago and some of my friends still do... And it runs slow on iOS4 and for me always run slow when jb. If media, browsing and apps are your most important I would say get a 3GS if possible.. Maybe a little more but handles iOS4 much better. I could say it was pretty smooth on mine.
    But with 97 and 3G I say 97.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 10:31 PM
    Wait a tiny bit and get the 9800.

07-21-10 05:55 AM
    I'm not sure about other types of files, but photos and excel spreadsheets save fine onto my iPhone. Photos save in the camera roll and spreadsheets save in iBooks. Another thing to think about is if you receive large attachments in your emails. I frequently get 10MB attachments with my emails. iPhone will handle it fine. I'm not sure what happens with BB, but I believe there is a much smaller size limit.

Edit: forgot PDF files also save in iBooks.
    Yes you are right, I was clear as mud about what I was saying. What irritates me is, yes, it can save to the camera roll, but would be nice to be able to stick it in a folder that's already on the phone, rather than having to go through itunes.
    . I will say that the 3.1.3 os as well as the 4.0 have definite improvements over the earlier iphones, and I'm by no means slamming the the iphone. I've used it, and have found that it just doesn't fit my needs as well as a bb.
    07-21-10 07:19 AM
    If you need push email and battery life is important go with the 9700. If you're looking for more browsing capabilities and 3g isn't important (Being with T-Mobile) go with the iPhone. I just recently brought another BB after the nightmare with the BB Tour last year. I still like my iPhone better (although BBM is one of the main reasons I brought a BB to switch back and forth). However, I have the 3Gs and never experienced the 3G.
    07-21-10 07:32 AM
    Does every single 9700 work on T-Mobile's 3G bands or just the ones you buy directly from T-Mobile?
    In the US only tmobile branded 9700's will get 3G and I believe there is one carrier in Canada (can't recall which one tho) that has the same frequency as the US tmobile.
    07-21-10 09:20 AM
    In the US only tmobile branded 9700's will get 3G and I believe there is one carrier in Canada (can't recall which one tho) that has the same frequency as the US tmobile.
    Yeah, as far as I know most Canadian carriers are 850 or 900 MHz while many of the US are 1700 or 1900. CDMA still seems popular up here.
    07-21-10 10:45 AM
    I would go with the Bold 9700. If i was give. The option between the iPhone 4 and the 9700, well I would go with the iPhone 4. But between the iPhone 3G and the 9700...I would pick the 9700. It's a solid device.

07-21-10 11:13 AM
    I recommend getting any BB which has:
    - WiFi
    - 3G
    - Navigation
    - Camera
    Actually one wouldnt even need OS6 compatibility. The above point would be my priorities - not to mention calls/messaging, any BB does that.

The Iphone 4 is only good for browsing and FaceTime. Any older Iphone only good for browsing in my oppinion. You should be able to figure out on your own what purpose you need your phone for and where your priorities are.

I have my own view of things. Countless times I have met (1) Iphone users in mid twenties who dont have contracts (prepaid) and use the Iphone just for calling/sms/games. They got it just to play with it, or because of the Iphone hype. Then I have met (2) Iphone users who have a contract but use the Iphone for the same tasks as the first group I mentioned.
    No offence to any Iphone user, I like the Iphone's style, but it projects a play-ish vibe. There are certainly exceptions, but far more Iphone users get their device for play-ish reasons than BB users. On the other hand, I know of no BB user who has their BB just sitting there and get played with. BBs are used to their full potential every day, and that not being "listening to music" or "check something on the net". It is a business device. I personally organize everything with it.

A BB is a solid communication device/phone with all features one would need, EXCEPT a good browsing experience. Even by just looking at a person who takes a BB out of his/her pocket, and not an Iphone, tells me that there is more substance behind that character. But thats just my oppinion.

So get your priorities straight. What functions in a device do you need. How do you want to present yourself. What do you want to project.

The Iphone is a great device, and very intriguing, but I choose a BB any time as my primary phone and maybe an Iphone/Ipad as my second.
    Last edited by iBerry Lifestyle; 07-24-10 at 02:31 PM.
    07-22-10 03:21 PM
    The majority of people I know who carry BBs have it given to them by their company. Most of 'em hate it because it makes them a slave to the company, almost like being on call 24/7. They do really love one aspect of it though. Most have them have cancelled their personal phones, since their company pays for the monthly bill, and allows them to use it for personal calls. I also have one friend who works at an insurance company, whose company will only pay the data plan, he's been bugging their IT department to support iPhone for the past 2 years. He says they might get around to it this year, but he has doubts since they're on Lotus, not MSE.

Almost all of these guys use the BB for nothing else except emails and calls.
    07-22-10 03:59 PM
    why don't you just bye iPhone 4G ? it is much better then 3G and BB
    07-23-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD