Barclays Bank has bought no less than 8,500 Apple slabs of fondling loveliness in one go, The Channel can reveal.

The buy, made with dealer Insight UK, is believed to be one of the largest roll outs of the iPad or indeed any tablet in the UK finance sector, and signals the growing acceptance of the tab tech in corporate land. A PR mouthpiece at Barclays told us that staff had demanded the reassuringly expensive pad over any other shiny devices - clearly there are a lot of fanbois in the bank's ranks.

She said the device will be used "to assist our branch colleagues to interact with customers, improving the customer experience".

"We investigated a number of different tablet options and in this instance, we concluded that iPads were the best solution for their specific needs. We are now starting to use these across Barclays branches in the UK," she said.

Barclays did not provide any detailed explanation on why it opted for Apple as opposed to one of the also-ran devices, but it is planning to use an app called Mortgage Brain that was specially designed for the iPad.

Mortgage Brain is jointly owned by six banks including Barclays Woolwich, RBS, Virgin Money, Santander, Lloyds TSB and Nationwide.

Mark Lofthouse, chief exec at Mortgage Brain, told FT Adviser the app was specifically targeted at all mortgage brokers and can scan the entire market for available options.

In a statement sent to The Channel, Insight EMEA president Stuart Fenton, refused to comment on any one customer but said: "I can confirm we are seeing significant interest in the take up of Apple iPads in large enterprise". �

Barclays Bank buys 8,500 Apple iPads in one go
    11-24-12 05:09 PM
    I wonder how many other Financial Institutions will follow suit in the following months.
    11-24-12 05:19 PM
    Why would they follow suit? Any company that's interested in the bottom line can buy a $200 tablet from another manufacturer and get a custom made app for cheaper.
    11-24-12 06:05 PM
    slabs of fondling loveliness
    You iJaculate or what? LoL
    anon(2757538) likes this.
    11-24-12 06:22 PM
    Any company that's interested in the bottom line can buy a $200 tablet from another manufacturer and get a custom made app for cheaper.
    That's true, but I'm willing to spend more money on a product if it meets my needs.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    11-24-12 06:34 PM
    Barclays Bank deploying the IPAD-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353803946.884031.jpg

mikeo007 likes this.
    11-24-12 06:39 PM
    Don't worry about what MartyMcFly said.

I thought it was pretty funny and clever. Have never seen that iJoke before
    11-24-12 06:59 PM

I'm all for good jokes when they are funny. Don't worry, he'll redeem himself sooner or later.

11-24-12 07:07 PM
    Hospitals are going to get iPad mini in Ontario Canada soon, nurses uses them already at several children's hospitals including my university.
    11-24-12 07:59 PM
    Cue the "those losers will go bankrupt playing Angry Birds during banking hours" comments in 5... 4... 3...
    11-24-12 08:03 PM

Know what's a joke?
    ibb10
    11-24-12 08:08 PM
    Should I join the convo or go to Imore and bring up subjects that I know will tick off Apple fanboys??? Well the convo is lame and trying to push buttons of users on a platform that I don't care to use is even more Lame....Guess ill move to a thread with some actual substance.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    11-24-12 08:26 PM
    Should I join the convo or go to Imore and bring up subjects that I know will tick off Apple fanboys??? Well the convo is lame and trying to push buttons of users on a platform that I don't care to use is even more Lame....Guess ill move to a thread with some actual substance.
    This thread was posted in the correct sub forum buddy.

mikeo007 likes this.
    11-24-12 08:44 PM
    How nice for the bank to set out some itoys loaded with fart apps and their custom app. Great to see places put "toys" out for their customers to play with while waiting. Always used to be those bars with the beads to slide but they are really stepping up their toy selection.

I agree, let's go post in Imore about something non apple related. Maybe how Samsung isn't supplying batteries anymore for maxipads and itoys, only to have the fanboys say apple will innovate their own batteries.

And yes I am posting this with a hint of sarcasm as to apple news on a blackberry site is already old news the second it is posted. It totally feels like this is here to ruin the good news of BB10 coming. Next please
    11-24-12 10:15 PM
    How nice for the bank to set out some itoys loaded with fart apps and their custom app. Great to see places put "toys" out for their customers to play with while waiting. Always used to be those bars with the beads to slide but they are really stepping up their toy selection.

I agree, let's go post in Imore about something non apple related. Maybe how Samsung isn't supplying batteries anymore for maxipads and itoys, only to have the fanboys say apple will innovate their own batteries.

And yes I am posting this with a hint of sarcasm as to apple news on a blackberry site is already old news the second it is posted. It totally feels like this is here to ruin the good news of BB10 coming. Next please
    Don't see what the big deal is, considering its posted in the correct sub forum. Your humor leaves a lot to be desired. The toy jokes were funny/cool in 07...

11-24-12 10:25 PM
    Don't see what the big deal is, considering its posted in the correct sub forum. Your humor leaves a lot to be desired. The toy jokes were funny/cool in 07...

Aroind the same time apple os was wrote!
    11-24-12 11:48 PM

Because the are biased and regardless of how logical something is it will get trolled if it doesn't match their favorites.
    Toy jokes were never cool, what was cool in 07 is when balsilie said "people don't want iPhone's, people dont want touch screens".

Still gives me giggles
    11-25-12 01:03 AM
    You know what still gives me giggles ... how a company can regurgitate the same product year after year and call each iteration new. And are able to convince the uneducated it's somehow the next greatest thing since slice bread.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    11-25-12 01:44 AM
    You know what still gives me giggles ... how a company can regurgitate the same product year after year and call each iteration new. And are able to convince the uneducated it's somehow the next greatest thing since slice bread.
    like the curve and bold right
    mikeo007 likes this.
    11-25-12 01:54 AM
    Hmmm, can't remember the last media event and frenzy when the latest model of a curve and bold was announced.. but I'm pretty sure there's another mobile manufacturer that falls into that category.
    11-25-12 02:02 AM
    Hmmm, can't remember the last media event and frenzy when the latest model of a curve and bold was announced.. but I'm pretty sure there's another mobile manufacturer that falls into that category.
    your are right, RIM did the same as apple and it bit them in the behind unlike apple.
    11-25-12 02:04 AM
    What about a company that releases a high end device that lacks Auto Focus, along with a tablet that lacks the necessities that makes a tablet useful?What's even worse is that the company charged 600 bucks for it.

11-25-12 06:59 AM
    The media event was on the various tech blogs/and also RIMM's Facebook page...It consisted of everyone slamming RIMM for releasing the same boring devices.

11-25-12 07:01 AM
    Because the are biased and regardless of how logical something is it will get trolled if it doesn't match their favorites.
    Toy jokes were never cool, what was cool in 07 is when balsilie said "people don't want iPhone's, people dont want touch screens".

Still gives me giggles
    Yep about as fun as people bringing up Jobs said about a 7" ipad.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    11-25-12 07:42 AM
    What about a company that releases a high end device that lacks Auto Focus, along with a tablet that lacks the necessities that makes a tablet useful?What's even worse is that the company charged 600 bucks for it.
    The day of reckoning will come Jan 30/13 and it won't be the Curve 4 or the Bold 5 or whatever. To me that's all that really matters .. and I'll still take my PB over the ipad anyday. And frankly price does make a difference - I wouldn't pay $600 for an ipad either.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    11-25-12 08:37 AM
28 12