11-30-15 09:14 AM
    When did renders created by fans become news or proof of concept?

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2639 / Telus
    11-30-15 09:15 AM
    When did renders created by fans become news or proof of concept?
    Ever since Ron Louks showed the slider at MWC in early 2015: half of the "leaks" of the slider were just fan renders, but no one would call them out as such if they looked like they COULD be legit, possibly... but hey, BlackBerry fan sites have to have something to suck the "fans" in, don't they? There's a lot more traffic on an article that is a "leak" vs. a "fan-made" rendering.

There used to be a lot more commentary to the effect of "We don't know if this is legit" or "this is a fan render"... but nowadays, there's more "posting unattributed fan renders as leaks" than there has been "making sure that an unattributed render is legit before calling it a leak".
    11-30-15 09:20 AM
    call it what you want.. this is still rather interesting...
    11-30-15 10:22 AM
    Since when has Apple ever shown any interest in putting a pkb on a phone?
    11-30-15 10:32 AM
    As long as they are going to draw something, they might as well have it unfold into a full size keyboard and also have a 12 inch screen slide out of the top of the device. I've seen the Transformers movies. Anything is possible.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-30-15 10:34 AM
    Doubt it's going to happen.

If if does Apple should pay BlackBerry to license their PKB and out it on their devices.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-30-15 10:36 AM
    No, it's not interesting. It's literally something someone just made up.
    TGR1 and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    11-30-15 11:19 AM
    If Apple does this, you can guarantee that they will be praised for their innovation and they will sell by the tens of millions.

Posted via CB10
    Adam Kowalczyk1 and FF22 like this.
    11-30-15 01:24 PM
    If Apple does this, you can guarantee that they will be praised for their innovation and they will sell by the tens of millions.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I suspect they would be mocked mercilessly in the media and lose a fair amount of money on the model. Their revenue, while still high, will be below projections and the stock price would *tank*. Tim Cook would slap his hardware guys around a bit for talking him into it.

Pure fantasy. iOS is completely not optimized for a physical keyboard. No way anyone at Apple would go for this. They don't even troll for the vast low-priced market so why would they waste any time on the relatively really tiny pkb crowd? They also tend to minimize points of physical failure and maximize manufacturing efficiency. That is why they love that locked down smooth little slab.
    11-30-15 01:49 PM
    Pure fantasy. iOS is completely not optimized for a physical keyboard. No way anyone at Apple would go for this. They don't even troll for the vast low-priced market so why would they waste any time on the relatively really tiny pkb crowd? They also tend to minimize points of physical failure and maximize manufacturing efficiency. That is why they love that locked down smooth little slab.
    iOS is not optimized for a physical keyboard, but Android is?

They don't go for the low market?
    IPhone 5C, rumoured 6C?

Apple does not need to go for the low end market because they know Americans are stupid and will spend their money on the devices nonetheless.

11-30-15 02:10 PM
    Apple said phones should never be bigger than 3.5 inch screens, but look what they did.

Apple said stylus in electronics are in the past, but look what they did.

So I am sure Apple is going to put a physical keyboard in their phones in the future if BlackBerry Priv takes off.

And their sheep would still buy them.

Posted via CB10
    marameansdemon likes this.
    11-30-15 02:22 PM
    Apple said phones should never be bigger than 3.5 inch screens, but look what they did.

So I am sure Apple is going to put a physical keyboard in their phones in the future if BlackBerry Priv takes off.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.

11-30-15 02:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just like the sheep who are now buying a Priv.
    11-30-15 02:59 PM

IPhone 5C, rumoured 6C?

Apple does not need to go for the low end market because they know Americans are stupid and will spend their money on the devices nonetheless.

Android is customizable in a way iOS is not so that OEMs can freely fork it. From the get go Apple has focused on a touchscreen phone. Recall the original Android prototype was a BB lookalike. Note I am not saying Apple cannot *make* iOS more pkb friendly but it would take some effort.

The 5c was really only "cheap" compared to its more expensive brother. I am talking the huge sub $200 market that Android owns.

Your last comment is opinion and not fact so cannot be debated.
    11-30-15 03:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    To nitpick, Jobs said those things, not Apple, and he was very well known for sometimes turning 180s. He was a pretty good businessman, you know. He was an interesting fellow but I certainly wouldn't plan my life choices around what he or any of them say. FWIW I actually still prefer my 3G as a phone since it feels so great in the hand.Just perfect. But I simply cannot read small screens any more.

That stylus quote has been taken somewhat out of context, from my understanding. For one it refers to phones and not tablets, and as the default input method for all actions. Apple seems to have implemented a divide. The Apple Pencil cannot actually do a number of actions on the screen which must be done by touch. I actually think Apple is gunning for a portion of Wacom's pie - it's not a plain stylus like a Note stylus in the same way Wacom's are not.

If by some chance the Priv by itself sells enough to attract attention (> 10 mill a year), there is a much bigger chance of Samsung or Huawei of Xiaomei belching out a high end pkb before Apple doing so.

A successful BBRY has a lot more to fear from attracting Samsung's attention than Apple's. Samsung is a hungry shark. They *will* go after the same targets at the high end and they easily have the potential to crush BB sales, particularly since they both now run Android. Samsung also has among the best brand recognition and satisfaction among Android vendors.
    11-30-15 03:26 PM
    I doubt that Apple will come out with a physical keyboard, but if they do, it will sell like hotcakes drizzled with cocaine.

Because they invented physical keyboards, obviously.
    Superfly_FR and needforbbx like this.
    11-30-15 03:50 PM

IPhone 5C, rumoured 6C?

Do you feel better now?
    BerryRipe and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    11-30-15 04:01 PM
    I'd get it if it ran BBX

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 04:12 PM
    What's really on JC's mind? BBM (all platforms done), HUB cross platform (android first), Dtek cross platform (android first), Other BB apps cross platform (android first), BES (all platforms done). Seems to me that the BB PKB could be another cross platform niche opportunity. BB pulls in revenue from security + EMM + software and key board patents, then shuts down manufacturing of phones completely. Licensing deals with all the majors and a complete focus on software. I hope not, but time will tell.
    11-30-15 04:27 PM
    BB has so many patents with the pkb
    Anyone trying to create a pkb would almost be guaranteed to be sued into oblivion
    Hell, I would dare apple to try
    When BB wins the patent battle, apple's royalty's to BB would be more than the profit BB has made in the past few years
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-30-15 11:27 PM
    Just like the sheep who are now buying a Priv.
    Didn't you buy a Priv? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and Superfly_FR like this.
    12-01-15 12:22 AM
    Didn't you buy a Priv? Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Baaaaaaaaaaa
    BerryRipe and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    12-01-15 06:57 AM
    At least be ain't hiding it.

BerryRipe likes this.
    12-01-15 07:09 AM
    If (a big if) Apple did make a device such as this BlackBerry would take their ios asses to court I'm sure. So go ahead Apple be my guest beaches!

Posted via CB10
    12-01-15 07:12 AM
48 12