I was following the event live and was really expecting something more, but it was really underwhelming. They just annouced a cheaper iPhone (iPhone 5c) and a more powerful iPhone (5S). The 5c isnt even that cheap. Costs $499 retail or 99$ on contract, that's even worse than the Q5 pricing. Even the Apple fanboys seemed dissapointed. There was nothing new and everybody expected what they annouced. The only surprise was the high price of the "cheap" phone.
    rtang1007 likes this.
    09-10-13 01:58 PM
    Yep, i agree. 8 mega pixel cam was a disappointment too. Essentially, it was all about the finger print and iphone 5c.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 02:00 PM
    Seems like this has been the impression from the last few Apple events....

I would have really like to see a much larger screen - of course being Apple they would charge $399 on 2-Year contract.
    09-10-13 02:03 PM
    5c is still too expensive for emerging markets and the 5c will eat into 5s sales = lower ASP and possibly lower margins. I don't get it.

Same crap. Samsung is eating their lunch.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 02:03 PM
    What were you expecting?
    09-10-13 02:05 PM
    Yawntacular event.
    09-10-13 02:08 PM
    5c is still too expensive for emerging markets and the 5c will eat into 5s sales = lower ASP and possibly lower margins. I don't get it.

Same crap. Samsung is eating their lunch.

Posted via CB10
    5c is a better option that selling the now discontinued 5 for $99 - so in the long run by introducing the 5c and dropping the 5, Apple is going to make more money per device. People that want the newest and best are still going to buy the 5s, people that want really cheap will go for the 4s and people that want a good device but aren't about paying for the latest and greatest will go go the 5c.

Not sure is Samsung eating their lunch or Android as a whole. Either way I bet Apple is make more money than all of the Android OEM combined. Other than screen size I don't know of any real advantage the Android has, other than price (benefits consumer - not the manufacturer).
    09-10-13 02:11 PM
    The OP and his cohorts have got to be kidding me. There's nothing underwhelming about today's event.

Camera improvements are SOLID. Babbling about 8MP just shows you how ignorant you are about tech matters...8MP with bigger pixels will give better photos than nearly every other phone out there, and pretty good low light performance. Dual LED flash is great. Burst photos, slow-mo etc round off the package.

Fingerprint sensor is awesome. The fact that we knew this before doesn't make it less awesome. This is a site that goes into throes of pleasure just talking about saving time with 'Peek' and 'Flow'. This is a site that talks a lot about security. now Apple provides a feature that dramatically boosts security and eliminates the need for passwords and you still complain.

64 bit SoC provides more power than the previous generation, coupled with dedicated silicon for motion. Much more powerful CPU + dramatically improved GPU (most likely using the SGX 6 series which should make the iPhone 5s the king of the hill when it comes to mobile graphics) along with improved battery life.

Expanded range of LTE radios and better build design round off the changes.

Finally, throwing in iWork FREE is a great deal. iWork is most likely superior to any document editing suite available for BB10 right now...and all for free.

The Z30 has its work cut out for it to stay relevant in the US, when you lump this in with the Sony Z1 and the Note 3.
    09-10-13 02:17 PM
    Yep, i agree. 8 mega pixel cam was a disappointment too. Essentially, it was all about the finger print and iphone 5c.

Posted via CB10
    yeah i should ditch my 5d mark iii with only 22 megapixel and get a lumia 41 megapixel instead
    MrRJ and Bsbudd like this.
    09-10-13 02:36 PM
    At best. From what I generally understand, that 64 bit only helps with above 4GB of RAM. This phone still sports 1GB of it?.
    nah, you mean from the comments of hundreds of bitter Android fanboys.
    I'm keeping an open mind until more info comes out. Aside the 64bit talking points, I'm pretty sure there's an SGX 6 series GPU on board. That's some crazy graphics.

The finger scanner is really a subepidermal reader. Is this going to work as well as Siri and Maps? How is this more secure and efficient than a PIN?
    PIN can be cracked..or spied on. Fingerprints cannot. So yes, that's more secure. Plus time savings with PIN entry multiple times daily.

The camera improvements are just that. Nothing bad but nothing amazing either. They are discontinuing the iphone5. The expansion of LTE is nice. But really some of these features are chalked up to most people as gimmicky. Is it really a better phone? Or more of the same with tacked on features and a couple more sprinkles on their ice cream cone.
    I
    Camera improvements aren't 'gimmicky'. For example, someone could call TimeShift a gimmick. Increasing sensor size and using larger pixels to grab better shots in all light conditions are not.

A feature like the fingerprint sensor that most owners will use cannot be called a 'gimmick'.

Anyone who says this is 'more of the same' has to be kidding. It's a pretty solid hardware upgrade.
    09-10-13 02:45 PM
    ok, now the storm has cleared, i think the CLEARLY underwhelming part of the reveal was the iPhone 5C...and that's mainly due to the pricing.

That's why Apple shares are down now. The investors expected a cheaper 5C to take on the cheap Android devices and sell like hotcakes in China. At $550 off contract, that's insane pricing.

They probably know they can get away with this...BlackBerry tried it and it has proven to be their downfall.
    09-10-13 02:47 PM
    Every single year after an Apple event there are comments similar to this thread....underwhelming.....is that all....boring....

And every year iPhone sales blow the roof off every single BlackBerry model or the combination of all BlackBerry models. The response is almost Pavlovian in its predictability.

BlackBerry needs to *capture* the desires of the consumer market and *execute* on those desires in an effective predictable manner. The day they do that will be the day that the iPhone critics can make the boring.....underwhelming.....is that all kinds of comments with any level of credibility.

I WANT BlackBerry to pull the rug from under Apple's feet because I WANT my Z10 to be supported and to mature. But whoever thinks that Apple won't outsell that iPhone 5C, comparatively to the Q10 or the Z10 or the Q5 or the A10 is in absolute denial. I don't like to make predictions, but I fully expect a wave of multicolour iPhones with cutout cases all over the DC Metro beginning on September 21st.
    09-10-13 03:00 PM
    ok, now the storm has cleared, i think the CLEARLY underwhelming part of the reveal was the iPhone 5C...and that's mainly due to the pricing.

That's why Apple shares are down now. The investors expected a cheaper 5C to take on the cheap Android devices and sell like hotcakes in China. At $550 off contract, that's insane pricing.

They probably know they can get away with this...BlackBerry tried it and it has proven to be their downfall.
    09-10-13 03:14 PM
    5c is a better option that selling the now discontinued 5 for $99 - so in the long run by introducing the 5c and dropping the 5, Apple is going to make more money per device. People that want the newest and best are still going to buy the 5s, people that want really cheap will go for the 4s and people that want a good device but aren't about paying for the latest and greatest will go go the 5c.

Not sure is Samsung eating their lunch or Android as a whole. Either way I bet Apple is make more money than all of the Android OEM combined. Other than screen size I don't know of any real advantage the Android has, other than price (benefits consumer - not the manufacturer).
    But what advantage does apple have to android?

On topic - regarding the camera "SLR stuff". Really?
    09-10-13 03:15 PM
    Apple is not moving fast enough. They need a bigger iPhone. The price of the 5c is too high. They are trying to keep their business intact but the market is changing fast. I think a difficult time is coming for Apple, probably under 10% of market share in 2014.
    DS1331 and damien kupuku like this.
    09-10-13 03:34 PM
    I didn't say the camera improvements were gimmicky. I said that they were improvements. Nothing amazing. No one is dropping their DSLR's for this.
    Comparing a phone camera to a DSLR is just plain funny. Way more people use their phones to take photos than DSLRs...so excellent cameraphones are to be lauded. The iPhone 5 already took very good pictures. This camera promises much improved quality in well lit scenes and much better low light photos. That's good stuff.

The jury is still out on the finger print scanner. You can't make a call on that now. We really don't know how well and fast and reliable it really works in real-life application. Finger prints can be stolen.
    1. Fingerprints are stored locally. You'd know this if you'd bothered to follow the same Event you're calling 'underwhelming'.
    2. Fingerprints can be stolen, true. You can also be tortured with a hot poker to give up your PIN to your Blackberry device. Just saying
    3. People WILL use that feature. It's easier than typing in a PIN. It's a no-brainer, really

Gamers are not dropping their PC's, xbox ones and PS4 for iphones either. I guess we'll see if those improvements will even be utilized by developers let alone most iphone users who play very simple games and are not exactly downloading "hardcore" ones.
    The iphone5s is not a bad device. It's just underwhelming.
    Mobile gaming is huge. Games are by far the biggest category in all mobile app stores. Nobody said anyone was going to drop their Playstations for iOS gaming. Not sure why you mention that at all...it's an extremely poor point. it HAS hurt sales of portable consoles.
    Tell me again how games like Modern Combat, Nova, Real Racing and Infinity Blade are 'very simple games'.

So...checklist.
    Top drawer camera? Check
    Top notch, best-in-class specs? Check
    Fingerprint sensor? Check.

I see nothing underwhelming here.
    MERCDROID and AlexXF like this.
    09-10-13 03:34 PM
    We'll agree to disagree. I am seriously not impressed by this device in any way.
    yeah, no sweat.
    Just remember that the Z30 will be a bigger Z10 with faster hardware...so for consistency sake, remember to be unimpressed when that comes out too.

PS: Anandtech hands on video shows the fingerprint unlock to be pretty fast, like well under one second.
    09-10-13 03:55 PM
    So what happens when someone passes out at a party? Free access to their phone by using their finger? How many ultra secure systems rely on fingerprint scanners instead of a solid, frequently changing password?

Posted via CB10
    PFman likes this.
    09-10-13 03:56 PM
    Very good

Enviado desde mi GT-I9500 usando Tapatalk 2
    09-10-13 03:56 PM

1. Fingerprints are stored locally. You'd know this if you'd bothered to follow the same Event you're calling 'underwhelming'.
    1.) Locally, where, how encrypted? Ever heared about the copu of CCC in Germany? They got the fingerprint of our Secretary of interior in less than 10 days, after this guy proclaimed fingerprint at our passports would be safe...

3. People WILL use that feature. It's easier than typing in a PIN. It's a no-brainer, really
    no brainer till your fingerprintsensor is faulty. its a no brainer, but you accept one step more of the system: "system controls you, not you the system".

Mobile gaming is huge. Games are by far the biggest category in all mobile app stores. Nobody said anyone was going to drop their Playstations for iOS gaming. Not sure why you mention that at all...it's an extremely poor point. it HAS hurt sales of portable consoles.
    Tell me again how games like Modern Combat, Nova, Real Racing and Infinity Blade are 'very simple games'.
    lol. Just get the same resolution with these games at big screen and you can see the differences. textures, lighting, shader, even filtering is years behind. But I think thats not the point. They maybe are funny and make you thinking that these games are not "simple", but you can just compare skyrim, GTA 5 or even and old game like Warcraft 3 TFT and you will feel the difference...

anyway mobile gaming were on portable consoloes. Its now smartphones.

So...checklist.
    Top drawer camera? Check
    Its a nice one. But now tell me how many people do even know about information that the improved specs are giving?
    Top notch, best-in-class specs? Check
    top notch? Nope.

I see nothing underwhelming here.
    okay.
    not underwhelming but not outperfoming too.
    09-10-13 03:57 PM
    Wait till Apple hands over your finger print data. There are already headlines on this issue.

8 Meg camera is still only 8 Meg. Most Nokia phones have better.
    The Z10 has nothing to fear here.

Apple will continue this junk peddling until their customers wise up and leave.

Once an innovative company Apple is slowly failing.

Posted via a Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1443
    beamolite likes this.
    09-10-13 04:02 PM
    Anyone think the trick revealed on the Mythbusters will work

http://hight3ch.com/cracking-the-bio...rint-scanners/

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 04:05 PM
    The OP and his cohorts have got to be kidding me. There's nothing underwhelming about today's event.

Camera improvements are SOLID. Babbling about 8MP just shows you how ignorant you are about tech matters...8MP with bigger pixels will give better photos than nearly every other phone out there, and pretty good low light performance. Dual LED flash is great. Burst photos, slow-mo etc round off the package.

Fingerprint sensor is awesome. The fact that we knew this before doesn't make it less awesome. This is a site that goes into throes of pleasure just talking about saving time with 'Peek' and 'Flow'. This is a site that talks a lot about security. now Apple provides a feature that dramatically boosts security and eliminates the need for passwords and you still complain.

64 bit SoC provides more power than the previous generation, coupled with dedicated silicon for motion. Much more powerful CPU + dramatically improved GPU (most likely using the SGX 6 series which should make the iPhone 5s the king of the hill when it comes to mobile graphics) along with improved battery life.

Expanded range of LTE radios and better build design round off the changes.

Finally, throwing in iWork FREE is a great deal. iWork is most likely superior to any document editing suite available for BB10 right now...and all for free.

The Z30 has its work cut out for it to stay relevant in the US, when you lump this in with the Sony Z1 and the Note 3.
    Still no wireless charging or NFC huh?

Fired from my Z10
    09-10-13 04:11 PM
    I was following the event live and was really expecting something more, but it was really underwhelming. They just annouced a cheaper iPhone (iPhone 5c) and a more powerful iPhone (5S). The 5c isnt even that cheap. Costs $499 retail or 99$ on contract, that's even worse than the Q5 pricing. Even the Apple fanboys seemed dissapointed. There was nothing new and everybody expected what they annouced. The only surprise was the high price of the "cheap" phone.
    Did you miss parts about going to 64 bit computing and the fingerprint scanner?
    09-10-13 04:26 PM
    nah, you mean from the comments of hundreds of bitter Android fanboys.
    I'm keeping an open mind until more info comes out. Aside the 64bit talking points, I'm pretty sure there's an SGX 6 series GPU on board. That's some crazy graphics.

PIN can be cracked..or spied on. Fingerprints cannot. So yes, that's more secure. Plus time savings with PIN entry multiple times daily.

Camera improvements aren't 'gimmicky'. For example, someone could call TimeShift a gimmick. Increasing sensor size and using larger pixels to grab better shots in all light conditions are not.

A feature like the fingerprint sensor that most owners will use cannot be called a 'gimmick'.

Anyone who says this is 'more of the same' has to be kidding. It's a pretty solid hardware upgrade.
    Take my finger with a knife, have access to my phone, take my tongue with same knife, bit getting my four digit password. Too much hype for nothing.

And before you reply, yes my quote is stupid, as stupid as the hype of this boring phone and company!

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 04:28 PM
73 123