Article references Apple has low market share outside US and slippage of stock prices last fall

Apple Working On a Less-Expensive iPhone - WSJ.com
    01-09-13 05:12 AM
    It's a rumor, and has been a rumor for over 4 years now. More analyst speculation
    01-09-13 08:24 AM
    If they want to stay competitive than they have to go this route. I'm not sure how a lower end iphone will be able to handle the needs/requirements of iphone apps. That's a hand off for them, introduce something lower end, with less power, but it might not be able to properly run certain apps.

They obviously won't sell current hardware at a discount to lower end markets because of the backlash that would ensue from consumers.

I guess we'll see what happens.
    01-09-13 09:25 AM
    Apple undercutting Apple, Apple will have the most to lose, of course they have the most to start with
    01-09-13 09:31 AM
    Apple undercutting Apple, Apple will have the most to lose, of course they have the most to start with
    If they can't expand their market share, then they have more to lose by not under cutting themselves. I don't see it as under cutting, the vast majority will want the best of the best.
    01-09-13 09:33 AM
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    01-09-13 09:33 AM
    Apple working on a cheaper iphone? LOL their phones are already built cheaply and sold for top dollar. What will they spend $60 and sell it for $250?

iPhone 5 Build of Materials Costs $207 – $238, Depending on Model

iPhone 5 Build of Materials Costs $207 - $238, Depending on Model | TechnoBuffalo
    01-09-13 09:39 AM
    This rumor is already spreaded for decades but until now, iPhone is still an exclusive and premium smartphone in the market.

So, never expect too much on cheaper iPhone.
    01-09-13 10:08 AM
    This rumor is already spreaded for decades
    The iPhone was out in 1993? ;-)
    01-09-13 10:12 AM
    They already sell previous gen iPhones as their cheaper alternatives. They have economies of scale already...not sure why they would change that. Not to mention that they wouldn't have to design multiple phones a year.

Apple working on a cheaper iphone? LOL their phones are already built cheaply and sold for top dollar. What will they spend $60 and sell it for $250?

iPhone 5 Build of Materials Costs $207 - $238, Depending on Model | TechnoBuffalo
    Gross profit per device does not equal net profit for the company. A company will have more costs than just manufacturing and material costs. There are things like marketing and r+d costs, among other things.

No one is going to sell you a device for near cost, unless there's some other way they can make money off you (eg. Amazon Kindle Fire and content, Google and your data).
    01-09-13 10:17 AM
    Apple is just another company now. Making a product for each niche market. The plateau was the iPhone 4 and 4s era. When you look at an iPad you cannot tell if its an iPad 2 or the iPad 3 without looking closely. When you look at an iPhone 5 you cannot tell that its not an iPhone 4 unless you look at subtle details like headphone jack or camera placement. It used to be VERY obvious when you saw an apple product. You saw the device and you knew which device it was and which generation. It used to be iPod and iPod mini, and iPod shuffle. You could always tell which it was and which generation. That is because there used to be larger leaps in between each one...
    01-09-13 10:27 AM
    The iPhone was out in 1993? ;-)
    Hehehee, superlative I mean
    01-10-13 05:35 AM
    They may just do this like the IPAD mini it's because overseas the pre-paid market is much bigger and most people won't buy a phone unless unlocked.

They can only sell the older generations for so long before people don't even want it and it may be better to have something cheaper.

Idk completely how it may be done since they have much of the price points covered unlike how it was with IPADS but Idk It's too late/early and my time too PRECIOUS for me to research apple. :P (Crapple)_)
    01-10-13 05:37 AM

Well it's a darn good thing no other phone company has ever charged way more than the phone costs to make, eh?

BlackBerry Bold costs $169 to be produced, Best Buy sells it for $660 � Unwired View
    01-10-13 09:17 AM