Apple Wins Order Against Samsung Tablet in EU - Bloomberg

I couldn't give two you know whats about either of those icopy companies but if our friends in the EU want an original platform that know's how to innovate without copying the can count on RIM. This is good for BB.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 08-09-11 at 05:36 PM.
    08-09-11 04:09 PM
    Apple wins another battle in the tablet war... it seems to be getting a little crazy! I suppose for RIM, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
    Dapper37 likes this.
    08-09-11 05:42 PM
    I suppose for RIM, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend".
    Doesn't this affect the soon-to-be Android Player for the PlayBook? If Samsung's hardware is implementing features that are infringing on Apple patents (thru Android OS), how would RIM get around using apps written for Android?

RIM should focus on building their own QNX Empire and leave Android to the lawyers.
    08-09-11 06:58 PM
    Doesn't this affect the soon-to-be Android Player for the PlayBook? If Samsung's hardware is implementing features that are infringing on Apple patents (thru Android OS), how would RIM get around using apps written for Android?

RIM should focus on building their own QNX Empire and leave Android to the lawyers.
    Has nothing to do with the Droid OS, the article clearly says this
    "claiming that the Galaxy products imitated Apple designs and technology"

More the design and probably hardware of the Samsung tablets and not the operating system.

Tim
    08-09-11 08:25 PM
    They have already stopped the Tab being released in Australia too. Apple have Samsung by the short and curlies on this one.
    08-09-11 08:31 PM
    They have already stopped the Tab being released in Australia too. Apple have Samsung by the short and curlies on this one.

The scarey thing about the Australia deal and maybe the EU deal as well is that Apple has to pay damages to Samsung if Apple loses.
    That could be in the hundreds of million dollars. So I really don't see it as an Apple victory. I think its a bit of an Apple gamble.
    08-09-11 09:49 PM
    It seems as if Apple were making cars or houses it would sue other companies for making a car with 4 wheels or a house with a peaked roof. The amount of lawsuits they have going on right now and the reasoning behind them is insane. I guess it's no longer: if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen, it's: if you can't take the heat sue the **** out of the other guy till they get out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Edit: hehe, you can't say h e double l.
    Last edited by eKafara; 08-10-11 at 05:16 PM.
    08-10-11 09:13 AM
    Apple Wins Order Against Samsung Tablet in EU - Bloomberg

I couldn't give two you know whats about either of those icopy companies but if our friends in the EU want an original platform that know's how to innovate without copying the can count on RIM. This is good for BB.
    smh, You do realize this isn't good for blackberry at all right. If Android tablet and honeycomb can be targeted then even QNX as it fits in the perimeter of the suit which is any square device with a bezel.

Lets not forget if this holds up then HP could do the same to rim as they hold a patent on the card system in the first place.
    08-10-11 12:57 PM
    Well surprise surprise...Apple is now suing over the Xoom...

http://www.tipb.com/2011/08/10/apple...design-europe/

No sooner did Apple win a preliminary injunction against the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany (which carries over to most of the rest of the EU), then they�ve gone and sued Motorola over the same trade dress/design infringement grounds for the XOOM tablet. (And a local German company called JAY-tech for good measure.)

It�s generally considered a more noble, Zen-like achievement to grow your own line rather than cut the line of a competitor. Apple seems to think it�s smart to do both. To innovate AND litigate, and unlike Microsoft, they don�t seem to want to make Android more expensive � they want to make it less usable.

It�s clear that Apple is determined to assert its different intellectual property rights � hardware patents, software patents, and design-related rights � against Android device makers. While Apple appears to place particular emphasis on lawsuits over tablet computers in its European design-related lawsuits, I believe the reason is that a preliminary injunction can�t be requested in Germany if the right holder has been aware of an infringement for too long. There isn�t a clear statutory limit, but German lawyers usually discourage such motions unless they are filed within one month of finding out about an infringement. It�s possible to get permanent injunctions even against older products, but for preliminary ones there must be a particular sense of urgency. It�s possible that Apple has also been aware of the Xoom for too long to file for a preliminary injunction at this stage.

Preliminary injunctions seem easy to get, settlements usually harder to negotiate. We�ll see what happens.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-11 05:14 PM
    This could potentially have ramifications on Google as well. The lawsuit claims that BOTH the hardware and UI is copied/resembles Apple.
    The UI bit would be like firing across the bow of Google's ship.
    I wonder if Google will join this suit as an interested party.
    08-11-11 08:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD