it is sad. "Even" google, facebook and Microsoft do more for the world than apple does. Apple literally only makes play things that are easy to hack. What has Apple done to improve the world? It's actually pathetic..

I bet Bill Gates feels like s*** for bailing them out now. At least he gives billions to charities and helps improve the world.

Apple world improvements
    https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...rove+the+world

vs

Microsoft world improvements
    https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...%20the%20world
    Last edited by khehl; 01-28-15 at 11:43 AM.
    01-28-15 11:05 AM
    it is sad. Even google, facebook and Microsoft do more for the world than apple does. Apple literally only makes play things that are easy to hack. What has Apple done to improve the world? It's actually pathetic..
    Well, maybe it changed the way a smartphone is used, making it user-friendly? And in doing so created a true mass-market for smartphones, which is 1 or 2 billions users at the moment?

And when you say "even google, facebook and Microsoft do more for the world", your tone implies that those companies haven't really done much for the world. They did a little (not like Apple, but not much by your high standards). This is the most self-righteous, narcissistic and ignorant proposition I have read in a long time. Are you aware you are talking about companies that really changed the every day lives of people and continue to supply critical products and services for the whole world?

This entitlement atitude is far more widespread than I thought, it really gets scary.
    Bsbudd, jmr1015 and ADGrant like this.
    01-28-15 11:17 AM
    Well, maybe it changed the way a smartphone is used, making it user-friendly? And in doing so created a true mass-market for smartphones, which is 1 or 2 billions users at the moment?

And when you say "even google, facebook and Microsoft do more for the world", your tone implies that those companies haven't really done much for the world. They did a little (not like Apple, but not much by your high standards). This is the most self-righteous, narcisistic and ignorant proposition I have read in a long time. Are you aware you are talking about companies that really changed the every day lives of people and continue to supply critical products and services for the whole world?

This entitlement atitude is far more widespread than I thought, it really gets scary.
    i dumbed it down for ye with some examples. Ignorance wasn't with me sir, you were very misunderstood.

Making smartphones main stream isn't an improvement on the world it's just a luxury by the way. aka play thing. Apple hasn't innovated anything. They just make things that are already available and make it look pretty/polished/smooth and sell it for more. aka play thing (no that doesn't improve the world one bit)

Google (bringing internet to the world, step by step) and Microsoft (creating breakthrough tech that actually helps in spaces like healthcare and they are the most green out of the biggest companies) has so much hate but they have done so much that try to improve the world.

btw i said "even" sarcastically because there is so much hate towards them and boycotting.

What has Apple done instead of bringing a shiny new product for consumers? Did that improve the world at all? Explain. Indulge me.
    Last edited by khehl; 01-28-15 at 11:46 AM.
    01-28-15 11:20 AM
    Congratulations on aiming at the easiest target in the world. Apple sold a ton of products in some of the most competitive market in technology. They didn't make much of dent in solving the world's problems, though. You've done your part, though, by raising awareness here on the Crackberry forums.
    eyesopen1111 likes this.
    01-28-15 11:26 AM
    Congratulations on aiming at the easiest target in the world. Apple sold a ton of products in some of the most competitive market in technology. They didn't make much of dent in solving the world's problems, though. You've done your part, though, by raising awareness here on the Crackberry forums.
    lol, I was just surprised i got challenged on it :O

I even had to edit my OP to make it more clear.
    01-28-15 11:40 AM
    Yeah, but if you look at Apple's actual cash on hand, they are down to their last $178 billion. They may not survive much longer.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Oh my God did this make me laugh! Well done!
    quikchip likes this.
    01-28-15 12:41 PM
    These figures are mind blowing. Clearly they are doing something right. Kudos to Apple. They could squash BlackBerry and all other minor competitors if they cared but honestly we are so insignificant, why bother? Hopefully they let us plug away and keep BlackBerry fans happy.
    01-28-15 12:46 PM
    These figures are mind blowing. Clearly they are doing something right. Kudos to Apple. They could squash BlackBerry and all other minor competitors if they cared but honestly we are so insignificant, why bother? Hopefully they let us plug away and keep BlackBerry fans happy.

Maybe he'll have a down moment one day--between counting the number of phones sold, the number of times that dumb-assed analysts(and haters) have been wrong about Apple, or the number of miles he ran the day before--to think about BlackBerry. What'll he decide? To throw enough money at BB shareholders to get them to sign the company over to Apple. Then, he'll either decide to put Apple's marketing muscle and developer relationships behind BlackBerry and turn them into a real player. Or he could acquire BB and simply integrate the best of BB10 into iOS, absorb QNX and BES into their internet services, and cease production of handsets permanently. Barring an acquisition, he could decide to focus all of Apple's time and considerable resources to crushing BlackBerry for good. Either way, John Chen would suddenly be looking for another company to "turn around."
    01-28-15 01:10 PM
    I *like* apple products, but I agree it's crazy the number of devices sold. I'll never understand the people who have to upgrade every time there's a new iPhone, because it's only minor changes.
    I think the fad may pass in the next couple years, after all the "iPhone 10" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-28-15 01:42 PM
    Maybe he'll have a down moment one day--between counting the number of phones sold, the number of times that dumb-assed analysts(and haters) have been wrong about Apple, or the number of miles he ran the day before--to think about BlackBerry. What'll he decide? To throw enough money at BB shareholders to get them to sign the company over to Apple. Then, he'll either decide to put Apple's marketing muscle and developer relationships behind BlackBerry and turn them into a real player. Or he could acquire BB and simply integrate the best of BB10 into iOS, absorb QNX and BES into their internet services, and cease production of handsets permanently. Barring an acquisition, he could decide to focus all of Apple's time and considerable resources to crushing BlackBerry for good. Either way, John Chen would suddenly be looking for another company to "turn around."
    "We've now passed RIM, and I don't see them catching up with us in the future because they must [transform] to a software company," Jobs said. "I think that's a challenge for them, to get developers." - Steve Jobs, in 2010 when Apple first surpassed RIM sales of devices for a quarter by selling only 14.1 million iPhones.

What a difference four years makes.

I think we are past the point where anyone would bother trying to crush BlackBerry... at least in the smartphone arena.
    xandermac likes this.
    01-28-15 01:59 PM
    I *like* apple products, but I agree it's crazy the number of devices sold. I'll never understand the people who have to upgrade every time there's a new iPhone, because it's only minor changes.
    I think the fad may pass in the next couple years, after all the "iPhone 10" doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Folks do the same here. Just on a smaller scale.
    01-28-15 02:07 PM
    Speaking of Steve Jobs, the new big Hollywood Steve Jobs biopic has started filming with Michael Fassbender and Seth Rogan starting as Jobs and Woz. The story by Aaron Sorkin ends in 1998 with the launch of the iMac. Imagine having such an interesting life in technology that the interesting part ends before you invented the iPod, iPhone, or the iPad.
    01-28-15 02:13 PM
    Speaking of Steve Jobs, the new big Hollywood Steve Jobs biopic has started filming with Michael Fassbender and Seth Rogan starting as Jobs and Woz. The story by Aaron Sorkin ends in 1998 with the launch of the iMac. Imagine having such an interesting life in technology that the interesting part ends before you invented the iPod, iPhone, or the iPad.
    A "true" BlackBerry fan wouldn't watch that.
    xandermac likes this.
    01-28-15 02:15 PM
    G
    Seriously, that level of profit should be a crime. They are gouging the world and stockpiling the hard earned incomes of the masses. What does Apple do with all this money, are they making a positive impact on the world, working to end starvation, working to improve education (without selling the hardware to the schools).

At least many of the other high earning companies dump billions into replanting trees, cleaning the environment, oh and don't forget providing millions of skilled labour jobs, instead of just sending that to the cheapest Chinese bidder that is employing people in terrible conditions.

Yes I know they have some philanthropic programs, but with that kind of cash they should be putting a healthy % into making real change. Let's keep making shareholders happy though right? The needs of the few and powerful are far outweighing the needs of the many.

BB for Life
    I ask this as a genuine question.

Where are BB manufactured? I guess in somewhere with similar working practices as at the Apple factory.

What philanthropy has BB done? I don't know.

Are you a little bit jealous of the dominant market share that Apple have taken from your beloved BB?
    I can answer this one. Yes, you probably are..
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-28-15 02:24 PM
    Seriously, that level of profit should be a crime. They are gouging the world and stockpiling the hard earned incomes of the masses. What does Apple do with all this money, are they making a positive impact on the world, working to end starvation, working to improve education (without selling the hardware to the schools).
    I want to 'like' your message on a humanitarian level, but man o man there is lots of work to go around both domestic and abroad because of Apple.

Factories
    Retail re sellers
    Cottage industry repair business
    #1 Infinite Loop Cupertino
    Third Party Apps
    3rd Party R&D
    Accessories
    etc....
    eyesopen1111 and tre10 like this.
    01-28-15 02:33 PM
    Love my iPhone 6 for private use. BUT, for my professional life, nothing, realy nothing beats my q10!!!!
    01-28-15 02:40 PM
    Honestly, Apple is like a cult. You are hooked with them. I've been between Android, blackberry and Apple for a few years but always seem to go back to Apple. Plain and simple they make great quality devices. Customer service is amazing. I've had other phones and if something went wrong within the warranty period I have to send it away etc. With Apple I can just walk in the Apple Store and "here is a new phone". You can't beat that. It's A1 support and that's why I will stick with them.

Some people can't stand them but they are clearly doing something right with these insane numbers.

I've had every single iPhone except the 3GS. I sell my iPhone and get the newest one each time. It's a damn Cult lol
    01-28-15 03:23 PM
    Or maybe he'll just continue to ignore BlackBerry and let them sink or swim on their own.

People continue to fantasize about some knight in shining armor coming in to rescue BlackBerry, or some evil conspiracy to destroy BlackBerry... Namely their hardware and BB10. When in reality, those are probably the components of BlackBerry's business that any potential buyers or competition are least interested in/concerned about.

I could see Apple buying the patents, for no other reason, than to keep Samsung from acquiring them and using them to sue Apple. Other than that, I don't see Apple interested in any aspect of BlackBerry.

A "true" BlackBerry fan wouldn't watch that.
    This again? So please, what defines a "true" BlackBerry fan?
    Last edited by jmr1015; 01-28-15 at 04:26 PM.
    01-28-15 04:05 PM
    G

I ask this as a genuine question.

Where are BB manufactured? I guess in somewhere with similar working practices as at the Apple factory.

What philanthropy has BB done? I don't know.

Are you a little bit jealous of the dominant market share that Apple have taken from your beloved BB?
    I can answer this one. Yes, you probably are..
    Well, prior to Chen signing the deal with Foxconn, BlackBerry's were manufactured in much better facilities in Canada and Mexico, but due to the constant pressure to make devices price competitive and still maintain a margin, he has had to move production to these factories, which is quite upsetting because now BlackBerry is a part of the problem too. BlackBerry used to do tons of philanthropy and it's founders do still continue with many efforts, I believe most of their philanthropic efforts now are more localized, but what can expect from a company that was nearing bankruptcy.

Am I jealous of Apple's dominance? Sure, who isn't, you are either jealous or proud because your a part of it; if you say you don't care than wtf are you doing on a mobile phone forum to begin with. But my issue is more that, as market leader and holder of a larger asset base than some banks, should they not be using some of their glorious margins to ACTUALLY clean up their supply chain, maybe plant some small forrests to offset the amount of pollution they create each day, maybe develop programs for providing education to those who cannot afford it, etc.

I want to 'like' your message on a humanitarian level, but man o man there is lots of work to go around both domestic and abroad because of Apple.

Factories
    Retail re sellers
    Cottage industry repair business
    #1 Infinite Loop Cupertino
    Third Party Apps
    3rd Party R&D
    Accessories
    etc....
    Yes they have created industries and jobs, which is all well and good, but the problem is, they are the ones making, and hoarding, all the money, when the margins grow it doesn't trickle down the supply chain it expands their wallet. Any booming industry will create jobs around it, the only thing apple has done that has provided a bit more jobs than would have naturally occurred was that they only had one shape, and evolved it slowly, which meant that many more case/aftermarket companies could build products for them because there would be scale, as opposed to other companies that completely revise the shape, typically rendering older products incompatible. As the mobile industry grew to selling 100s of millions of devices a year all of these other resale, repair, apps and accessories businesses would have emerged regardless of if there was only 3 phone manufacturers or 15.

BB for Life
    CyberMan2013 likes this.
    01-28-15 04:19 PM
    As the mobile industry grew to selling 100s of millions of devices a year all of these other resale, repair, apps and accessories businesses would have emerged regardless of if there was only 3 phone manufacturers or 15.
    You don't seem to grasp that the huge growth of the smatphone market was made possible by Apple introducing the iPhone (a huge shift in user experience). All smartphones today are built on the original iPhone's approach to user interface / user experience.

The mobile industry didn't grew by itself, as you seem to believe.
    01-28-15 04:29 PM
    at this thread and some of the comments. Let's just say that the Soviets certainly instilled some serious fear and ignorance in some people.

Milton Friedman and Reaganomics on steroids.

Not Business As Usual
    01-28-15 04:33 PM
    at this thread and some of the comments. Let's just say that the Soviets certainly instilled some serious fear and ignorance in some people.

Milton Friedman and Reaganomics on steroids.

@hoonigan99 - Not Business As Usual Documentary on Vimeo
    It's a mistake NOT TO BE AFRAID of Soviet-style policies. And, speaking of ignorance: the only thing wrong with Milton Friedman is that too few people are reading his books.
    01-28-15 04:41 PM

Apple's fortunes will turn, but I don't know when. Apple has found a way to appeal to the masses and make having their devices cool. This has happened before with fashion, music etc. Look at the fashions and colour schemes of the 1970's. People didn't lose their good taste all of a sudden, TV, magazines and designers convinced a small influential base that it is the new cool thing, and people followed. The majority of people don't want to be different and stand out, they want to belong to the majority. Apple devices aren't bad they are actually good, just not as good as many think IMO. Good or bad it really doesn't matter anymore, because people buy and constantly upgrade to belong and for acceptance from others.
    01-28-15 04:43 PM
    It's a mistake NOT TO BE AFRAID of Soviet-style policies. And, speaking of ignorance: the only thing wrong with Milton Friedman is that too few people are reading his books.
    It will all be OK. Don't worry. If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to be afraid of, right? And with that one addition, I'm out of this discussion.

By the way, my Screen Timeout app is still an Android port. Can you please make it native?
    01-28-15 04:43 PM
    Am I jealous of Apple's dominance? Sure, who isn't, you are either jealous or proud because your a part of it;
    I am neither jealous nor proud. I'm proud of some friends who work there, but that's about it. I'm certainly not jealous because that makes absolutely no sense to me. I admire what they've been able to do, just like I admire people who accomplish anything that is very difficult to achieve.

if you say you don't care than wtf are you doing on a mobile phone forum to begin with.
    So I'm on a mobile phone forum because I am very interested in this industry and in BlackBerry in particular (since BB was the company that we all admired and looked up to when I first got into the mobile industry). Some people are just interested without having to belong to one team or another.

I should add I'm not Canadian, so I have no nationalist pride riding on BlackBerry either. No emotional investment there.
    21stNow likes this.
    01-28-15 04:46 PM
150 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD