Wow! they are unstoppable. This makes BB numbers look ridiculous.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...213333367.html
    01-27-15 03:58 PM
    Wow! they are unstoppable. This makes BB numbers look ridiculous.
    Well duh. If you're making more quarterly earnings than ExxonMobil, you're bound to make most of the world look ridiculous in comparison.
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-27-15 04:05 PM
    In fairness to BB, they also may Windows Phone numbers look ridiculous (10 million vs 75 million in the last quarter).
    01-27-15 04:23 PM
    iZombies are growing! The doomsday is near!

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 04:34 PM
    In fairness to BB, they also may Windows Phone numbers look ridiculous (10 million vs 75 million in the last quarter).
    I"m surprised that Winphone sold 10M. You got to hand it to MS, like they did with XBOX, they'll keep throwing money at it until it makes money.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-27-15 05:39 PM
    Seriously, that level of profit should be a crime. They are gouging the world and stockpiling the hard earned incomes of the masses. What does Apple do with all this money, are they making a positive impact on the world, working to end starvation, working to improve education (without selling the hardware to the schools).

At least many of the other high earning companies dump billions into replanting trees, cleaning the environment, oh and don't forget providing millions of skilled labour jobs, instead of just sending that to the cheapest Chinese bidder that is employing people in terrible conditions.

Yes I know they have some philanthropic programs, but with that kind of cash they should be putting a healthy % into making real change. Let's keep making shareholders happy though right? The needs of the few and powerful are far outweighing the needs of the many.

BB for Life
    01-27-15 05:40 PM
    I"m surprised that Winphone sold 10M. You got to hand it to MS, like they did with XBOX, they'll keep throwing money at it until it makes money.
    They have a out triple the market share that BB has in the US but that is still only 3%. Oddly, they actually post better market share numbers (or did) in than Apple in some countries such as Italy.

They still can't get the apps though
    01-27-15 05:42 PM
    Seriously, that level of profit should be a crime. They are gouging the world and stockpiling the hard earned incomes of the masses. What does Apple do with all this money, are they making a positive impact on the world, working to end starvation, working to improve education (without selling the hardware to the schools).

At least many of the other high earning companies dump billions into replanting trees, cleaning the environment, oh and don't forget providing millions of skilled labour jobs, instead of just sending that to the cheapest Chinese bidder that is employing people in terrible conditions.

Yes I know they have some philanthropic programs, but with that kind of cash they should be putting a healthy % into making real change. Let's keep making shareholders happy though right? The needs of the few and powerful are far outweighing the needs of the many.

BB for Life
    The masses appear to be happy to give them their money.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 01-27-15 at 08:28 PM.
    zlatno, TGR1, MikeX74 and 2 others like this.
    01-27-15 05:44 PM
    The masses appear to be happy to give the.m their money.

I am starting to think that some of the posters in this thread might be happier in North Korea. Profit is a suddenly a crime around here.
    Don't get me wrong, I believe in profit, I am an entrepreneur and you need profit to sustain and keep going/growing.

But this is an example of how capitalism goes too far, a company that has as much revenue in one quarter as the richest person in the world is worth, a company that makes enough net profit in a year to rival some countries GDP, a company that has to hold that cash in hoards (not stimulating the economy) because they fear the day their profitability plummets.

This level of success is "admirable" but completely unnecessary, there are so many issues we have yet to solve on this planet, and a small amount of that money could go a very long way.

BB for Life
    01-27-15 05:53 PM

BB for Life
    It's great to be generous with other people's money. One small observation to your otherwise thoughtful intervention: let's not forget the whales, please!
    ADGrant, garpt and xandermac like this.
    01-27-15 05:55 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I believe in profit, I am an entrepreneur and you need profit to sustain and keep going/growing.

But this is an example of how capitalism goes too far, a company that has as much revenue in one quarter as the richest person in the world is worth, a company that makes enough net profit in a year to rival some countries GDP, a company that has to hold that cash in hoards (not stimulating the economy) because they fear the day their profitability plummets.

This level of success is "admirable" but completely unnecessary, there are so many issues we have yet to solve on this planet, and a small amount of money could go a very long way.

BB for Life
    Being an entrepreneur yourself, it shouldn't be so hard to make that "small amount of money", money that you could put to good use in solving those planetary problems.
    01-27-15 05:58 PM

This level of success is "admirable" but completely unnecessary, ...
    I forgot. What is the maximum level of profit allowed before it becomes "unnecessary"? Is that $10B?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    mikeo007, zlatno, TGR1 and 5 others like this.
    01-27-15 06:02 PM
    Being an entrepreneur yourself, it shouldn't be so hard to make that "small amount of money", money that you could put to good use in solving those planetary problems.
    If you would like to insinuate I am two-faced then I daresay you ask me what my next venture will be, as it does aim to reduce reliance on globalized supply systems and provide local jobs and consumables. Why am I spending my free time researching and developing viable strategies for this, because I want to instill this change in a place where people sometimes cannot afford a head of lettuce or a carton of milk. I do not wish to run this organization ten years from now, I simply want to build it, to benefit the community and region it serves. This, ultimately, is the purpose of business, to solve a need, but these capitalist roots have convoluted that meaning and changed it to shareholder wealth maximization.

BB for Life
    dejanh and bungaboy like this.
    01-27-15 06:18 PM
    they have a lot to live up to with their next phone they put out.
    01-27-15 06:21 PM
    If you would like to insinuate I am two-faced then I daresay you ask me what my next venture will be, as it does aim to reduce reliance on globalized supply systems and provide local jobs and consumables. Why am I spending my free time researching and developing viable strategies for this, because I want to instill this change in a place where people sometimes cannot afford a head of lettuce or a carton of milk. I do not wish to run this organization ten years from now, I simply want to build it, to benefit the community and region it serves. This, ultimately, is the purpose of business, to solve a need, but these capitalist roots have convoluted that meaning and changed it to shareholder wealth maximization.

BB for Life
    Well, I dare ask you: where is this place where people sometimes cannot afford a head of lettuce? I really doubt there is such a place in the Western world. Instead, I see plenty of people choosing to spend their money on drugs, booze or cigarettes instead of fresh vegetables. And on iPhones, to stay on topic.

Actually, it's true - very often it's not their money - it's the money of those paying the taxes.
    01-27-15 06:39 PM
    I simply want to build it, to benefit the community and region it serves. This, ultimately, is the purpose of business, to solve a need
    I think you might find a few people that have a different perspective on the purpose of business. But you are highlighting a difference that is much larger than anything we can appropriately cover on these pages...we may just have to agree to disagree, and move on.
    01-27-15 06:44 PM
    Well, I dare ask you: where is this place where people sometimes cannot afford a head of lettuce? I really doubt there is such a place in the Western world. Instead, I see plenty of people choosing to spend their money on drugs, booze or cigarettes instead of fresh vegetables. And on iPhones, to stay on topic.

Actually, it's true - very often it's not their money - it's the money of those paying the taxes.
    Actually yes it is in North America even, remote northern communities where a gallon of milk can be anywhere from $9-16, a head of lettuce which we all enjoy for less than $2, can be from $6-10.

Yes people choose to spend their money in foolish ways, and none of us are not guilty of this. But despite that, there are changes that need to be made, and I do not support expanding funding for programs like welfare, we need to solve the problems at the core, by reducing the cost of necessities like food and shelter, instead of mobile devices.

Apple could jack up the price of iphones $100 and put that all towards social causes and change, and it would likely have negligible difference to the bottom line, not that it's hurting.

BB for Life
    dejanh likes this.
    01-27-15 06:50 PM
    I think you might find a few people that have a different perspective on the purpose of business. But you are highlighting a difference that is much larger than anything we can appropriately cover on these pages...we may just have to agree to disagree, and move on.
    This is the roots of business, the root of innovation, why we have reached the level of technology we have achieved. Profit is a motive, but it shouldn't be the sole purpose, and certainly not to this extent.
    I understand that we all have different opinions, but conversation breeds change. Any outlet which supports discussion is open to these debates. Sure I can bring my conversation to related tweets and FB pages, but those are viewed by those who care about that topic already. If we cannot discuss larger issues underlying the situations we discuss, we are wasting our time. I am absolutely open to criticism and wish for someone who has a more capitalist mentality to enlighten me, just as I hope my comments may enlighten someone else who had not considered the issue from this angle.

BB for Life
    dejanh and terminatorx like this.
    01-27-15 06:57 PM
    good on them.

business is business, and they are killing it right now.

If BB reported these kinds of numbers, something tells me this thread would have taken on a different form.

Wish I could like the iPhone, but I just can't stand it. Too bad...
    djtim, MikeX74, 21stNow and 2 others like this.
    01-27-15 07:05 PM
    Apple could jack up the price of iphones $100 and put that all towards social causes and change, and it would likely have negligible difference to the bottom line, not that it's hurting.
    This is my last post on this, I don't want to be too annoying:

This very proposition that I quote shows you don't understand basic economics and that you don't have any practical business experience.

So here it is:

If a $100 increase in the price of iPhones would bring more money to Apple (present bottom line + the sum you want for social changes = more money than today), they would have done it by now (and simply kept those supplemental money, because they are capitalist bastards)

The less people know about real business and the way economies work, the more they are inclined to hate capitalism and prescribe social "reforms" that invariably involve the confiscation of money from the ones that create real value (like Apple).

If you want to see the results of such policies, look below. And these are scenes from a country that is a leading oil producer (like Soviet Union was in its day, with the same results).

01-27-15 07:07 PM
    Do not get the thread... if Apple can sell that many devices and make as much money as they have... FANTASTIC .... what is the issue???? Success???

What many do not realize is that success at this scale breads failure... at some point Apple sales will plateau or drop.. when that happens Apple will find out what Blackberry felt like when it fell apart for them.... It can happen really fast... being a publicly held company... failure is not tolerated and companies are punished for such actions swiftly... so at this point I applaud Apple even though I am not a fan.... but will be watching and waiting for the slide... which like todays profits should be spectacular....
    acovey and VictorRight like this.
    01-27-15 07:07 PM
    I have been long AAPL since buying in in 2009. I'm wondering when the best time to cash out might be. It surely shouldn't be long from now.

Because like all the perennially-wrong Apple doomsayers, I'm finally getting to a place where I think this beast is bound to have peaked.

I mean,....right?

Right?!?!

I

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    marty314, BCITMike and xandermac like this.
    01-27-15 07:09 PM
    This is the roots of business, the root of innovation, why we have reached the level of technology we have achieved. Profit is a motive, but it shouldn't be the sole purpose, and certainly not to this extent.
    I understand that we all have different opinions, but conversation breeds change. Any outlet which supports discussion is open to these debates. Sure I can bring my conversation to related tweets and FB pages, but those are viewed by those who care about that topic already. If we cannot discuss larger issues underlying the situations we discuss, we are wasting our time. I am absolutely open to criticism and wish for someone who has a more capitalist mentality to enlighten me, just as I hope my comments may enlighten someone else who had not considered the issue from this angle.

BB for Life
    At the risk of going just a bit off topic, I guess I would counter that businesses are driven by the profit motive, and, in fact, are legally required to strive to maximize shareholder profit (although I acknowledge that this is open to a fair amount of interpretation). The shareholders who receive the profit are the ones I would argue are obligated to contribute to the betterment of society. While I cannot contribute Billions of dollars to my favorite cause, I can contribute tens, hundreds or maybe even thousands to my favorite agenda. And taken to an extreme, another company that did kind of OK in its day - Microsoft - can be seen as a great example of this principal when you consider how that wealth/fortune has made its way into social change through the amazing works of Bill and Melinda Gates (NOT of Microsoft). Again, just a slightly different perspective.
    01-27-15 07:10 PM
    Samsung is the bull to watch. Every report I read forecasts them becoming the next big tech mogul. I think Apples wave is coming to an end.
    01-27-15 07:31 PM
    Samsung is the bull to watch. Every report I read forecasts them becoming the next big tech mogul. I think Apples wave is coming to an end.
    "in the third quarter of 2014, Samsung saw a 60% year-over-year decline in operating profit, but this quarter the drop is forecast to be "only" 37% year-over-year."

Samsung's Preliminary Earnings Results Suggest a Turnaround (SSNLF)

"Samsung Profit Dropped 32% Last Year As Smartphone Sales Slowed"

Samsung Profit Dropped 32% Last Year As Smartphone Sales Slowed

Definitely the one to watch. Not Apple, who just had the most profitable quarter of any US company ever.
    01-27-15 08:36 PM
150 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD