I was listerning this evening to my local NPR affiliate in whick the topic of the hour was Mike Daisy talking about Chinese manufacturing. The specific plants that were the subject were owned by Foxconn. Foxconn is a chief Apple supplier. The narrative went into details about the working conditions these workers face, information was gathered by direct observation and worker interviews. Mike went on to say that how could a company so attune to minute details within its own production process conceivably not know what is happening at it supporting plants? Apple did promise to promote better working conditions from its suppliers after Foxconn employees were jumping out of windows. Apple was contacted by NPR for comment, but declined.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-06-12 08:09 PM
    I made an error and this should have been posted in the "news" sub forum.

01-06-12 08:17 PM
    Foxconn supplies a surprising amount of electronics for a surprising amount of companies, and there are several suppliers like them in China and elsewhere. I have been in three of there factories. Their size is immense in relation to almost any other type of factory in the world, and I am sure some things are blown out of proportion. Just the shear size alone makes them a target for speculation. I am not excusing the bad stuff that may go on, but I think a lot of outside speculation is happening.

RIM may be the exception, but many smartphone manufacturers use suppliers like Foxconn if not them. Also, many PC makers use them as well. Again, not excusing it, but it is not isolated to Apple for sure.
    01-06-12 08:26 PM
    Like DBW said not an Apple only issue. Open your PC and look at the MB, PS and other internals most of the time you will see FOXCONN on it somewhere........

And it's NPR...so that tells you enough right there........
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 01-07-12 at 09:15 AM.
    BrindawithanI likes this.
    01-07-12 09:09 AM
    like others have said foxconn manufactures for alot of companes... the chances of someone not having at least 1 foxconn product in their home is really rare. Heres just a few companies that use foxconn as their major production facility.

apple, acer, amazon, asus, intel, cisco, HP, HTC, LG, Dell, Nintendo, Microsoft, MSI, Motorola, Samsung, and Vizio just to name a few....

they also manufacture a large portion of car radios in just about every brand, as well as circuit boards used in regular home appliances like dishwashers, stoves, refridgerators, washers, dryers.....ETC

I was reading somewhere a few months back that something like 89% of americans have at least 1 or more foxconn product in their homes.
    Last edited by zyiro; 01-07-12 at 10:03 PM.
    01-07-12 09:33 PM
    Like DBW said not an Apple only issue. Open your PC and look at the MB, PS and other internals most of the time you will see FOXCONN on it somewhere........

And it's NPR...so that tells you enough right there........
    NPR is as good a source as you will find and Apple is known to have issues with human rights as well as high suicide rates in their Chinese plants. You can love your phone but spare me your rationalization.
    01-07-12 09:43 PM
    Foxconn working conditions vs international manufacturers = poor
    Foxconn working conditions vs other Chinese manufacturing companies = pretty good actually.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-12 10:12 PM
    NPR is as good a source as you will find and Apple is known to have issues with human rights as well as high suicide rates in their Chinese plants. You can love your phone but spare me your rationalization.
    Um, what do you mean about Apple's issues with human rights? Not entirely clear about what you are saying.

From what I have read online Foxconn's suicide rates are lower than China's national average, particularly among the younger set that typically work in these factories. Working conditions are rough, I think, but again have read conflicting reports on how rough, or that they are ok.

What I am more concerned with are the two recent explosions that are tied to aluminum dust. You don't get explosions from dust accumulation, which can even happen in wood and flour mills, if you have adequate ventilation. For me, the implications are not just in the explosions but the long term lung damage workers are potentially at risk for. Apple, which does yearly supplier audits, better look into that pronto.
    01-08-12 09:14 AM
    I suppose that one of my objectives in my post was to bring forward the evidence that media does in fact 'pick on' others than RIM. I simply relayed a story, I am aware of Foxconn's presence in our consumables. Whether I would like people to do something about it or not is long for this forum. Cheers.

01-08-12 10:12 AM
    Apple did an audit of foxcon a couple of years ago, as a result foxcon changed a number of things and raised salaries.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    01-08-12 08:47 PM
    I suppose that one of my objectives in my post was to bring forward the evidence that media does in fact 'pick on' others than RIM. I simply relayed a story, I am aware of Foxconn's presence in our consumables. Whether I would like people to do something about it or not is long for this forum. Cheers.

It was news a couple of years ago and apple was hit plenty back then.

01-08-12 08:48 PM
    Apple is known to have issues with human rights as well as high suicide rates in their Chinese plants.
    Apple don't have any Chinese plants.

01-08-12 08:50 PM
    Apple don't have any Chinese plants.

A pointless technicality but kudos for being a stickler.
    01-08-12 09:06 PM
    When accusations are leveled I doubt it's pointless to Apple.

Foxconn has a suicide rate lower than the national rate of China, they also manufacture for hundreds of consumer-electronics companies. It's hardly apples problem. However, Apple did conduct an audit of Foxconn which resulted in a number of changes to improve conditions and pay.

01-08-12 09:09 PM
    When accusations are leveled I doubt it's pointless to Apple.

Foxconn has a suicide rate lower than the national rate of China, they also manufacture for hundreds of consumer-electronics companies. It's hardly apples problem. However, Apple did conduct an audit of Foxconn which resulted in a number of changes to improve conditions and pay.

Yes, the signed pledges not to kill themselves and the nets surrounding the factories. Apple is a prince. But to your point, it's all fine as the intense suffering might be slightly worse with other consumer-electronics companies.
    01-08-12 09:20 PM
    If you really cared about the "intense suffering" you wouldn't buy any consumer electronics product so spare me your righteous indignation. I think you should be more concerned with what is occurring in the congo at the moment for the sake of your precious electronic devices. You want to talk about "intense suffering" in a Chinese plant and point fingers solely at apple while ignoring the real problem elsewhere in the world that all manufacturers are responsible for.

I only say this because you seem to have an issue with human rights. I personally don't have an opinion either way because I'm going to continue to buy the products and I'm not hypocritical enough to say otherwise.

FYI- Apple are one of the few on the list of companies that require their manufacturers to certify that they use conflict free minerals.

Last edited by xandermac; 01-08-12 at 09:37 PM.
    01-08-12 09:31 PM
    If you really cared about the "intense suffering" you wouldn't buy any consumer electronics product so spare me your righteous indignation. I think you should be more concerned with what is occurring in the congo at the moment for the sake of your precious electronic devices. You want to talk about "intense suffering" in a Chinese plant and point fingers solely at apple while ignoring the real problem elsewhere in the world that all manufacturers are responsible for.

I only say this because you seem to have an issue with human rights. I personally don't have an opinion either way because I'm going to continue to buy the products and I'm not hypocritical enough to say otherwise.

FYI- Apple are one of the few on the list of companies that require their manufacturers to certify that they use conflict free minerals.

I am well aware of the issues in Africa and have posted about them on this forum in the past. I attacked all the cell companies equally. The only electronics I buy for myself currently are RIM electronics. My work provides my laptops and I do not buy televisions or stereos. I have a tablet and a phone. I do buy other products for the kids.

All companies should be held accountable. This includes your beloved Apple. Spare me your tireless defense of any company that is involved in human rights violations for the sake of making an extra dollar. I have not and will not defend any corporation for this no matter how much I enjoy their products. That's my opinion. I should try to avoid buying any of the products that are made under these conditions and I have tried to eliminate most purchases of any electronics. That being said I'm not going to pretend these companies shouldn't be ridiculed for their relentless pursuit of higher profit margins at any cost. Spare me your pathetic rationalization.
    01-08-12 10:01 PM
    Do RIM certify their products as using conflict free minerals? The last list I saw put them in the top 20 offenders. You could buy apple instead.

Last edited by xandermac; 01-08-12 at 10:10 PM.
    01-08-12 10:04 PM
    No they don't but Apple does I believe...at least in the last year which is impressive I think. Like I said, I'm not happy with any of them but I know Apple was making a move to eliminate the mineral use leading to atrocities in Africa and I respect that. I apologize for being so angry about this topic but I think it matters.
    01-08-12 10:10 PM
    No they don't but Apple does I believe...at least in the last year which is impressive I think. Like I said, I'm not happy with any of them but I know Apple was making a move to eliminate the mineral use leading to atrocities in Africa and I respect that. I apologize for being so angry about this topic but I think it matters.
    I'm right there with you. It's important to me also which is why I TRY to stay abreast of companies human rights records and TRY to use the ones that do the most. HP and Apple for example. The problem is I'm only an individual and I can't change what's happening by myself at my own expense. None of us can as individuals. I am ultimately going to purchase products that use conflict minerals either knowingly or unknowingly, just as you purchase BlackBerries. As people become more aware we will be able to do more as a group and perhaps then research in motion will go conflict free. I am actually shocked that they are not already conflict free as I believe Canada has the world's second-largest deposit of Coltan?

01-08-12 10:21 PM
    I'm afraid there's really nothing you can buy at an electronics store where every single component and packaging was made In accordance to the highest ethical standards.
    01-08-12 11:41 PM
    Yes it is almost as good as saying "Buy an electric car to save the enviroment." Anyone ever seen the enviromental impact of making an electric car?
    BrindawithanI likes this.
    01-09-12 05:33 AM
    Yes it is almost as good as saying "Buy an electric car to save the enviroment." Anyone ever seen the enviromental impact of making an electric car?
    Precisely. All we can do is TRY to make the decisions that are right for us as individuals.
    01-09-12 08:17 AM
    I'm afraid there's really nothing you can buy at an electronics store where every single component and packaging was made In accordance to the highest ethical standards.
    Exactly. How many organizations are tying to put and end to what is going on in the Congo? I bet the tech they use is using what they are trying to stop.
    01-09-12 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD