Now, please understand that I am screamingly ignorant with respect to tech toys. Only recently I found out that Android has had a product similar to Apple Pay (Google wallet or Isis wallet, I think?) but I didn't know that Blackberry has had it built in their devices since 2011.

NFC Is the Not-So-New Kid on the Block | Inside BlackBerry

The things I learn in a day.
    09-12-14 04:09 PM
    Love it!

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 04:11 PM
    The only 'screamingly ignorant' people are those that will undoubtedly think that NFC was an Apple invention.
    NotGoodIMO, lift, amjass12 and 7 others like this.
    09-12-14 04:15 PM
    Let's be honest.

Apple's implementation is far superior to anything else on the market. Because of them, a large number of retail outlets are going to be adopting the ability to use NFC to pay. BlackBerry hasn't really done anything intriguing with NFC. Even if they did, not many major brands would pay attention.

Now that Apple has brought NFC into the limelight, BlackBerry/Android can finally start using NFC payment methods at more retailers.
    09-12-14 04:18 PM
    Let's be honest.

Apple's implementation is far superior to anything else on the market. Because of them, a large number of retail outlets are going to be adopting the ability to use NFC to pay. BlackBerry hasn't really done anything intriguing with NFC. Even if they did, not many major brands would pay attention.

Now that Apple has brought NFC into the limelight, BlackBerry/Android can finally start using NFC payment methods at more retailers.
    Which is why I love that BlackBerry haven't gone out of their way to berate apple for coming with it late, they just nicely point out how it can be fully utilised

Posted via CB10
    09-12-14 04:19 PM
    Late to the party? Perhaps. Apparently, nobody, including Blackberry has been able to really get the party started, have they?
    09-12-14 04:29 PM
    Late to the party? Perhaps. Apparently, nobody, including Blackberry has been able to really get the party started, have they?
    Not even close.

Apple did more for NFC in one day than anyone else has managed to since it was introduced into smartphones in 2010 or 2011, whatever it was.
    09-12-14 04:31 PM
    While you're laughing, Apple's shareholders are laughing, too. All the way to the bank.
    09-12-14 04:32 PM
    Not even close.

Apple did more for NFC in one day than anyone else has managed to since it was introduced into smartphones in 2010 or 2011, whatever it was.
    Can you elaborate exactly what they did un one day?

Posted from my powerful tool Z30.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-12-14 04:33 PM
    So, I'm confused about who will be able to use Apple Pay. I know that I will be able to use it on my iPhone 6, but will other NFC-enabled devices able able to use it?
    09-12-14 04:36 PM
    Let's be honest.

First Mobile Credit Card Payment in Canada made on BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry

tell me, why is apple's implementation superior?
    09-12-14 04:38 PM
    Apple's implementation of NFC is going to benefit everyone provided that Apple doesn't impose some proprietary standard that would make Android and BlackBerry devices incompatible with Apple friendly hardware. But they probably will, which will leave BlackBerry even further behind because once merchants commit to Apple NFC, they won't invest in the hardware for other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    BB_Junky likes this.
    09-12-14 04:43 PM
    tell me, why is apple's implementation superior?
    Because of the card issues that have signed on?
    Issuers that are signing on include J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp. BAC +1.33% , American Express, Citigroup Inc., Capital One Financial Corp. COF -0.36% and Wells Fargo WFC +0.21% & Co. Barclaycard, Navy Federal Credit Union, PNC Financial Services Group Inc., PNC +0.52% USAA and U.S. Bancorp USB +0.24% also will be included in Apple Pay.
    09-12-14 04:44 PM
    Because of the card issues that have signed on?
    Issuers that are signing on include J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp. BAC +1.33% , American Express, Citigroup Inc., Capital One Financial Corp. COF -0.36% and Wells Fargo WFC +0.21% & Co. Barclaycard, Navy Federal Credit Union, PNC Financial Services Group Inc., PNC +0.52% USAA and U.S. Bancorp USB +0.24% also will be included in Apple Pay.
    well thats not the implementation itself, its the support it gets. not really the same thing. blackberry has been ahead of everyone else years ago, back then noone really cared for such payment method, now they just dont have the market share. now apple presented it like they came up with it themselves. also, mastercard has its own platform called paypass which has its own app as well providing all mastercard card owners with the ability to pay through their phone (90% of europe?), also theres google wallet as well which supports all kinds of cards as well. apple hasnt done anything new or innovative, they arent the first nor the best
    09-12-14 04:51 PM
    I have found myself doing a face palm every time some perky "tech expert" talks about Apple Pay like they just invented it. People here have made some good points, tho. We will all be using NFC more now that Apple is on board. Why BlackBerry has been so silent about any number of innovations all these years is beyond me.
    Velocitymj likes this.
    09-12-14 04:51 PM
    I have found myself doing a face palm every time some perky "tech expert" talks about Apple Pay like they just invented it. People here have made some good points, tho. We will all be using NFC more now that Apple is on board. Why BlackBerry has been so silent about any number of innovations all these years is beyond me.
    Let's just hope that it's "NFC NFC" and not " Apple NFC.".
    jayemmbee likes this.
    09-12-14 04:54 PM
    Let's just hope that it's "NFC NFC" and not " Apple NFC.".
    i think the nfc payment platform is a standard, i really dont think any stores with an nfc/rfid payment capable atm would replace its current hardware for apple.
    09-12-14 04:56 PM
    Is is wallets changed its name so it wouldn't be affiliated with the barbaric group in Iraq

Z10
    09-12-14 04:57 PM
    Not even close.

WRONG!

First off Apple does NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING in 1 day ... let alone 6 months. They painstakingly have a VERY long process form inception to production ... look at EVERYTHING they've ever made ... if you where a real Apple fan you'd know this ... but I'm guessing you're just part of the newly converted drinking the iOS Kook-Aid vs someone like me who's a Mac OS Kool-Aid drinker (soon going up to real juice Win8)

Now ...

Google Wallet has 80% of the USA NFC/card-less payment market: Visa, MasterCard and just about EVERY USA bank is in bed with one another. Apple doesn't even have 10 banks and only Visa, and MasterCard.

BlackBerry's NOC is the SINGLE, SOLE-SECURE-TRANSPORT for just 1 client! That one client works with Moneris payment terminals in over 70 merchant brands across Canada, and guess what ... ALL 3 major cellular providers are their clients: Rogers Wireless, Telus Mobility, and Bell Mobility. Canada is covered and the merchants are Growing!

BlackBerry already has the next stage of mobile payments working in place the last 3yrs ... BBM Money overseas in 1 country, for now. It does NOT require you to have a national or provincial bank yet it's secure and NEVER faultered!

Do a search on both BlackBerry and mobile payments. I'm sure you'll find one of my early 2013 posts regarding this and at that time was the most in-depth research on mobile payments ... much greater developments have occured since fall 2013 so it's just a historical reference but many recent and up to date sources with links of information are on these very forums. Please search next time before debating.

Enjoy that iOS-Kool-Aid ... 'oooh yeaaaah"
    Guess who else uses that tag line .... Oliver the jeweler
    09-12-14 05:02 PM
    Apple's implementation of NFC is going to benefit everyone provided that Apple doesn't impose some proprietary standard that would make Android and BlackBerry devices incompatible with Apple friendly hardware. But they probably will, which will leave BlackBerry even further behind because once merchants commit to Apple NFC, they won't invest in the hardware for other platforms.

Posted via CB10
    The hardware will be the same what is different with Apples implementation is the use of transaction specific tokens instead of actual CC into to be transmitted to the NFC terminal. You can't hack whats never there so its a much better method for mobile payments. Apples also uses its TouchID to authenticate/initiate the payment in the same button press which is also superior. The use of tokens will also come to BB/Android/WinMo eventually since the tokenization standard for mobile is backed by all the major CC companies who knows when late 2015 I'm guessing.
    TGR1, Carjackd, Davidro1 and 2 others like this.
    09-12-14 05:04 PM
    Apple's implementation use token and bypass the carrier portion of it. One doesn't need to have a specialized SIM card with your credential saving inside to use the payment option. One can save many payment options needed and use it without carrier having any information of your credit usage. One can use it on more places, significantly more places than in Canada buying coffee.
    TGR1, techvisor and Davidro1 like this.
    09-12-14 05:07 PM
    The hardware will be the same what is different with Apples implementation is the use of transaction specific tokens instead of actual CC into to be transmitted to the NFC terminal. You can't hack whats never there so its a much better method for mobile payments. Apples also uses its TouchID to authenticate/initiate the payment in the same button press which is also superior. The use of tokens will also come to BB/Android/WinMo eventually since the tokenization standard for mobile is backed by all the major CC companies who knows when late 2015 I'm guessing.
    do you have any proof that current implementations dont have that already? it wouldnt be the first that apple introduces something as their own innovation... it might be actually part of the standard not to expose real CC for nfc payments... unless i can see how the current ones work i wont buy that apple's implementation is more secure.
    09-12-14 05:08 PM
    Apple's implementation use token and bypass the carrier portion of it. One doesn't need to have a specialized SIM card with your credential saving inside to use the payment option. One can save many payment options needed and use it without carrier having any information of your credit usage. One can use it on more places, significantly more places than in Canada buying coffee.
    my link referred to something that was already possible 2 years ago on a blackberry. read supa_fly1's comment. google wallet is far superior and has the support of more banks and providers ALREADY and exists for quite a whiel now as well.

edit: also theres bbm money, even if it doenst exist worldwide.
    GRojasHruska and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    09-12-14 05:11 PM
    do you have any proof that current implementations dont have that already? it wouldnt be the first that apple introduces something as their own innovation... it might be actually part of the standard not to expose real CC for nfc payments... unless i can see how the current ones work i wont buy that apple's implementation is more secure.
    The use of tokens it not new but right now its used from the bank to the merchant and doesn't involve the consumer, so the merchant can keep the token record along with the sales receipt info and doesn't have worry about CC info leaking out. Apples method is to request a token from a payment processor which in this case will be FirstData who actually holds the CC info and then the token is sent to the phone and then to the terminal to complete the sale.
    09-12-14 05:14 PM
    The use of tokens it not new but right now its used from the bank to the merchant and doesn't involve the consumer, so the merchant can keep the token record along with the sales receipt info and doesn't have worry about CC info leaking out. Apples method is to request a token from a payment processor which in this case will be FirstData who actually holds the CC info and then the token is sent to the phone and then to the terminal to complete the sale.
    so, wheres the cc stored? pls dont tell me its on apple's servers cause thats probably poses more threats than posting your CC publicly lmao
    09-12-14 05:18 PM
616 123 ...