Apple, along with a number of other leading technology companies, has been removed from the list of brands approved for Chinese government purchases. It�s thought the move is a response to reports of widespread Western cybersurveillance.

�Others put the shift down to a protectionist impulse to shield China�s domestic technology industry from competition,� Reuters reports, after thousands of other locally-made products were added to the list.

It seems Cisco Systems has been hit hardest by China�s clampdown. Back in 2012, it had 60 products approved by the Central Government Procurement Center (CGPC), but as of late 2014, it had none, new data shows.

Alongside Apple, Intel, McAfee, and Citrix Systems have also been dropped from the list, while a number of other foreign brands fell by a third, Reuters reports. Officials say there are many reasons why local manufacturers are preferred, including more product guarantees.

Some believe China wants to nurture its domestic technology industry and support its expansion overseas, and pushing authorities and companies towards homegrown products would certainly help that mission.

However, it�s thought the primary concern is security. Reuters notes how �China�s change of tack coincided with leaks by former U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) contractor Edward Snowden in mid-2013 that exposed several global surveillance program.�

Experts say that the Snowden incident has become a real concern for foreign leaders, and had a detrimental impact on U.S.-China ties, with both accusing one another of foul play.

Apple no longer approved for Chinese government purchases | TechnoBuffalo
    02-26-15 08:23 AM
    Thanks for the read. You gotta put some personal thoughts into it if your going to post it here.
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    02-26-15 08:32 AM
    Well that's what happens when you sell your sole to the devil (ie the NSA) and you chronically fail to pay serious attention to security. I'm sure China knows all about Apple's weaknesses and fully exploits it to their advantage.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 08:39 AM
    Well that's what happens when you sell your sole to the devil (ie the NSA) and you chronically fail to pay serious attention to security. I'm sure China knows all about Apple's weaknesses and fully exploits it to their advantage.

Posted via CB10
    Did you read it?

This is about China not trusting western kit BECAUSE it's western.

Anyway,....Apple won't be particularly bothered by this. Enterprise/Govt. has never been a market they've expressed particular interest in. The CHINESE government in particular, I imagine, is best avoided....as far as they're concerned.

And they're selling record numbers of phones to the Chinese PEOPLE....so that's the market they want. To hell with the oppressive, corrupt Chinese "government."

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-28-15 01:56 PM
    Bug report!

Inside the CB10 Android ap, if you click "edit post" it reopens the post and only let's you quote and repost it.
    02-28-15 01:59 PM