So apparently,...Apple is the only company that makes money in smartphones?

Well,....no. Samsung makes some too. But their share is shrinking.
    Apple is taking 93% of the profits in the smartphone industry now - Business Insider

"Apple is basically the only company making money from smartphones anymore.

Every quarter, Canaccord Genuity analyst Michael Walkley takes a look at the state of the profits of smartphone companies. This quarter, Walkley found Apple had a record breaking 93% of the industry's profits.

Apple is always the leader, but for a short while, it looked like Samsung was going to catch Apple. Those days are long gone. Apple has blasted away from the pack.

Samsung's share of the industry's profits is down to 9%, its lowest point since 2008 as its profits crater. Samsung is under attack from Apple at the high end with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which both have big screens.

It's also under attack at the low-end from cheap Chinese phone makers like Xiaomi. Walkley doesn't have Chinese phone maker Xiaomi in his table, saying, "since Xiaomi is a private company, we are unable to get their sales and profit metrics. If I could get their profit metrics, then I would certainly include."

Apple sold 74.5 million iPhones last quarter, generating roughly $12.6-$13.5 billion in profits."

Read more: Apple is taking 93% of the profits in the smartphone industry now - Business Insider

Interestingly, they mention Chinese manufacturer Xiaomi. They make money in China, but have you ever seen one of their phones??
    They BLATANTLY copy the iPhone. Like,...SLAVISHLY. They haven't entered the US market because they know good and well they'd get sued to oblivion for ripping off Apple.
    02-10-15 02:13 AM
    I was waiting for a surprise but it didn't come. This is relevant - Things Apple is Worth More Than. Hasn't been updated in forever but even in 2011, it was nutty.
    02-10-15 03:07 AM
    What's up, Bear Grylls.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-15 03:15 AM
    Hmmm?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-10-15 03:49 AM
    This is why Apple should buy Blackberry - for the smartphone patents. At least they shouldn't allow any other smartphone maker to buy it. However, if the Canadian government won't allow anyone else to purchase Blackberry then I guess they don't have to worry about it.

You have to think, though, that if Blackberry hardware sales continue to decline then the patents are in play. You have one company that makes no profit on hardware right now and another that makes practically all of the profits in the industry. Who could make better use of the patents? Who could make better use of the cash?
    02-10-15 06:24 AM
    An excellent point!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-10-15 12:25 PM
    Apple make the best mass-market handsets right now IMO - I mean those S6's look garbage in comparison, no matter what lighting / angles / music they use on the ads. I think the days of BB being mainstream are over - they were only ever truly popular because of BBM so the fifteen-year-old-girl ship has probably sailed. They can still get back to being the premier business device though so I hope Apple do buy them.
    06-22-15 05:12 PM