Apple Granted Design Patents for Slide to Unlock Feature and Pop Up Keyboard Characters

As we have previously explained, design patents only cover the ornamental part of a product, as opposed to a utility patent, which covers the functional part. That means that from today on, no other device � in the United States as least � can feature animations similar to the �Slide to Unlock� feature and pop-up keyboard letters.

The patent was officially named �Animated graphical user interface for a display screen or portion thereof.�

Looks like a few re-designs may be in order for some other touch screen enabled phones when it comes down to how they display typing on the keyboard. its quite a ridiculous patent to be honest then again I say that a lot about many of the software patents i see and hear. It'll be interesting to see what apple does with this.

since the slide type action is used on android phones. how similar, not sure. but the keyboard pop-up is quite universal on all touch screen keyboards.
    08-19-10 11:24 PM
    They have the same type of patent for coverflow. Notice how nobody has made an EXACT copy.

I was also under the impression they had the same type of patent for pinch zoom. Perhaps that one got denied or something since it now seems ubiquitous.
    08-20-10 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD