"iLounge reports that it has discovered differences in the quality of sound captured by the microphones on various Wi-Fi and 3G-capable models of the iPad 2, with the Wi-Fi-only models demonstrating the best sound quality. The differences primarily seem to stem from the fact that the microphone opening in the center of the top edge of the device is on an aluminum surface in Wi-Fi iPads and in black plastic on 3G models, although even the GSM and CDMA models behave slightly differently.

Perhaps due to this change in materials, the Wi-Fi model offers markedly cleaner audio than that of the 3G, which sounds slightly muffled and echo-prone as a result. Curiously, we found the GSM 3G model's audio to be slightly preferable to that of the CDMA model, which seemed to suffer the issues more severely.
    According to the report, the differences are most pronounced when the iPad is held facing the user, as would typically the case when using FaceTime or other video-based apps.

The microphone has been located next to the headphone jack on the top edge of the first-generation iPad, but Apple presumably centered the microphone in the iPad 2 in hopes of doing a better job of picking up sound when used with FaceTime and other apps designed to be used in a forward-facing portrait orientation. It appears, however, that the acoustical qualities of the black plastic strip along the top edge used to house the antenna in 3G-capable models results in lower performance compared to Wi-Fi models with the microphone surrounded by aluminum."

Great engineering again, Apple.
    03-17-11 09:13 AM
    The mics are fine, people are hold it wrong! Yea, that's it, that's the ticket!
    03-17-11 11:16 AM
    Rubber bumpers? No, not on the device - it's perfect - on the user's mouth.
    03-17-11 01:50 PM
    So,

The antenna does not work.

It can't tell the time.

The mic only half works.

It's..... high quality engineering by.... Apple.
    03-17-11 02:36 PM
    Ouch.

At least my iPhones antenna and microphone work perfectly. My time also switched exactly when it should have on DST.
    03-17-11 05:19 PM
    LOL. At least my browser works.
    03-17-11 05:59 PM
    Well, we're still waiting on RIM to finally show up to the tablet party so we can poke fun at their faults too. I wonder why they're always last to show up. Lol

Meh, I dunno why I'm worried about them. Surely THIS time they won't disappoint.......... right? :crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs:
    03-18-11 12:46 AM
    Well, we're still waiting on RIM to finally show up to the tablet party so we can poke fun at their faults too. I wonder why they're always last to show up. Lol

Meh, I dunno why I'm worried about them. Surely THIS time they won't disappoint.......... right? :crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs:
    Oh the apologies. Steve is so proud of his followers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-11 12:49 AM
    My antenna and mic work great. Besides, who actually tries to hold a phone with a death grip and try to talk and see if the antenna signal drops. I can hold my phone anyway and the signal strength stays the same unless I move to a stronger or weaker signal area.
    Last edited by zwoof; 03-18-11 at 01:00 AM.
    03-18-11 12:58 AM
    Oh the apologies. Steve is so proud of his followers.

Lol, I'm not making any excuses, but each time this forum has a post with "Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums" a puppy dies. Stop killing puppies, it's not nice.
    03-18-11 01:20 AM
    Again, at least my browser works.
    03-18-11 08:47 AM
    So,

The antenna does not work.
    It can't tell the time.

The mic only half works.

It's..... high quality engineering by.... Apple.
    :Oh, what the heck, I'll jump in too:

Sorry Pete, but you are lumping two different devices together.
    If you want to compare multiple devices from the same manufacturer, every manufacturer will have a list of deficiencies, some minor and limited in scope, others more noticeable.

As for your exaggerating...I expect nothing less from you.
    You're like an old bull elephant guarding the gates of fortress RIM.

:gets ready to duck from the swinging ban-hammer:
    03-18-11 10:05 AM
    Lol, I'm not making any excuses, but each time this forum has a post with "Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums" a puppy dies. Stop killing puppies, it's not nice.
    That made me laugh. I hadn't heard that before.
    03-18-11 10:23 AM
    Nice redirection.
    Last edited by RetroAndreas; 03-19-11 at 09:41 AM.
    03-18-11 08:34 PM
    I don't like the apple attitude or that jobs character but I CAN'T WAIT TO PICK UP MY IPAD2 !!! Tomorrow here in Canada. I find that of all their products it makes the most sense.

03-24-11 06:36 AM
    Again, at least my browser works.
    Whoopie, my browser works too................ just not as well as yours lol.
    03-24-11 08:18 AM
    Whoopie, my browser works too................ just not as well as yours lol.
    LOL. There are a list of things your device doesn't do as well as mine sir. A list.
    03-24-11 04:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD