Welp,....I've said for years they wouldn't do it. Its looking increasingly likely that I was wrong.

Apple Reportedly Teaming Up With Credit Card Companies for Mobile Payments | TechnoBuffalo

Just figured I'd come here and publicly own it if I'm wrong!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    app_Developer likes this.
    09-01-14 11:12 PM
    Maybe they'll introduce iNFC, something that will work exactly as NFC but won't be compatible with it, you know a la Apple LOL

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:33 PM
    Maybe they'll introduce iNFC, something that will work exactly as NFC but won't be compatible with it, you know a la Apple LOL

Posted via CB10
    You forgot the part, how they invented it .
    We felt that people wanted more. People want a better way to buy the things they love ,a more secure way to purchase things. We understand. That's why we developed INFC. It's intuitive and streamlined right into the IOS 8. Oops I forgot to use the British accent.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:53 PM
    Hey, I thought they wanted to use bluetooth to do mobile payments? Or was that just a rumor?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 11:56 PM
    Hey, I thought they wanted to use bluetooth to do mobile payments? Or was that just a rumor?

Posted via CB10
    The whole issue is being driven by the credit card companies. The card companies want to use the same type of system used in Europe, which is NFC based with a PIN number, so as to help put a lid on credit card fraud. Apple was never going to have NFC capability. Credit Card Companies 1, Apple 0.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    09-02-14 10:45 AM
    Alright cool. If any company was going to make NFC payments a thing in the US it would be Apple of course.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 12:35 PM
    The whole issue is being driven by the credit card companies. The card companies want to use the same type of system used in Europe, which is NFC based with a PIN number, so as to help put a lid on credit card fraud. Apple was never going to have NFC capability. Credit Card Companies 1, Apple 0.
    I don't follow - why is this a problem for Apple? I don't like that Apple enjoys and stimulates a cult-like following, so I don't like the company, but how on earth having NFC payment on their phones would hurt them?
    09-02-14 12:42 PM
    If Apple version (which I don't expect to see) of NFC is their own proprietary tech it just means everyone would adopt it and make all the early adopters obsolete.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-04-14 07:39 AM
    Right now wirh payments there are three (or four or five depending on how you count them) parties. The carriers are a big pain because they control the secure elements and certain payment networks only work with certain carriers in certain countries. If Apple is able to cut out the phone carriers (as they have in the past), then this would be a significant step forward for mobile payments.

Google never wants to go to war with the carriers. Apple is always willing to do that.
    09-04-14 07:58 AM
    Here in Canada I'm able to make mobile payments at least 50% of the places I shop now. More and more places installing the NFC readers everyday.

That said, I do it daily.. and each and every time the cashier is shocked.. 'did you just do that with your phone? ' those readers are installed for NFC chipped credit cards which almost all are here now. With apple finally introducing the technology it's a little bitter sweet.. on the positive side adoption will increase 10 fold.. which will be a benefit when I travel to the US especially. On the negative side.. as others have said they'll claim to have invented it.. people will believe it.. and instead of getting 'I don't think my iPhone can do that..' from the cashiers I'll be getting 'oh is that the new iphone?!' even though I've been doing it on my BlackBerry for 3 years.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 08:12 AM
    So we can expect another security breach soon?
    09-04-14 08:40 AM
    Right now wirh payments there are three (or four or five depending on how you count them) parties. The carriers are a big pain because they control the secure elements and certain payment networks only work with certain carriers in certain countries. If Apple is able to cut out the phone carriers (as they have in the past), then this would be a significant step forward for mobile payments.

Google never wants to go to war with the carriers. Apple is always willing to do that.
    This is a HUGE reason myself and millions of others are huge Apple supporters. They've consistently made the carriers their b!tches. I wish the other OEM's could get away with that. It would be a better world.

xandermac likes this.
    09-04-14 08:12 PM
    So we can expect another security breach soon?
    Possibly. Probably, even. But you can say that anyway. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Apple.

09-04-14 08:15 PM
    You forgot the part, how they invented it .
    We felt that people wanted more. People want a better way to buy the things they love ,a more secure way to purchase things. We understand. That's why we developed INFC. It's intuitive and streamlined right into the IOS 8. Oops I forgot to use the British accent.

Posted via CB10
    So true!
    09-09-14 08:49 AM
    Yep, ApplePay. Say goodbye to the competitions solutions.
    pri79269 likes this.
    09-09-14 12:56 PM
    Yep, ApplePay. Say goodbye to the competitions solutions.
    Actually it appears to just use a standard nfc reader, so we should all be able to use it as well, and in more places then before.
    09-09-14 01:39 PM
    yeah i think its the same terminal tech that all phones can use. Apple does have the nice inclusion with touch ID though and needed your biometrics to approve the payment
    09-09-14 01:58 PM
    Good... as long as non-iPhone folks aren't shut out.
    09-09-14 02:05 PM
    yeah i think its the same terminal tech that all phones can use. Apple does have the nice inclusion with touch ID though and needed your biometrics to approve the payment
    Agreed.. with all the things apple 'invented' that we've had for years, a biometric reader is one thing that I'd like to see brought to the next BlackBerry.. pretty disappointed that there isn't one in the Passport actually even though in reality it's relatively unsecure.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 02:09 PM
    Here in Canada I'm able to make mobile payments at least 50% of the places I shop now. More and more places installing the NFC readers everyday.

That said, I do it daily.. and each and every time the cashier is shocked.. 'did you just do that with your phone? ' those readers are installed for NFC chipped credit cards which almost all are here now. With apple finally introducing the technology it's a little bitter sweet.. on the positive side adoption will increase 10 fold.. which will be a benefit when I travel to the US especially. On the negative side.. as others have said they'll claim to have invented it.. people will believe it.. and instead of getting 'I don't think my iPhone can do that..' from the cashiers I'll be getting 'oh is that the new iphone?!' even though I've been doing it on my BlackBerry for 3 years.

Posted via CB10
    You've set IP your credit card in to your phone? What carrier are you with?

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    09-09-14 02:14 PM
    Apple seems well done NFC. Secure holding of info, vendor never sees buyer details.. Cool. Best implementation of a new payment system.
    09-09-14 02:25 PM
    You've set IP your credit card in to your phone? What carrier are you with?

A slow climb to the top is always more rewarding. Sent using my BlackBerry Z10.
    Rogers

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 07:40 PM
    Apple seems well done NFC. Secure holding of info, vendor never sees buyer details.. Cool. Best implementation of a new payment system.
    Works exactly the same way on BlackBerry..I do like the biometric portion though.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 07:42 PM
    To make technology succesfull It has to be addopted by "leading" companies. Others will then also invest.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 04:05 AM
    Apparently ApplePay will work on the Watch using the older phones, I guess it just won't have the TouchID capabilities.
    09-10-14 05:58 AM