Pass the cream

Looks like the BlackBerry outage has managed to relegate issues with the iOS5 launch to the tech press.

iOS update woes prompt gnashing of teeth for Apple fans • The Register

Ok, I see it appearing on mainstream press now, well if you can call the Daily Mail mainstream.....

Couldnt resist the title, stole it from the comments in The Register's article.
    10-13-11 07:21 AM
    The update went live for me at 1:17 on the afternoon and I had it installed within an hour. No issues at all. I don't see how the upgrade server not being to keep up ( but still working and every one already expected it anyway) is the same as an infrastructure failure that left millions with most BB basic function not working. I was sending and receiving emails and text all day yesterday unlike anyone else at work lol.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-13-11 at 07:42 AM.
    10-13-11 07:27 AM
    Not being able to upgrade your OS and not having the basic functions of your smartphone for three days are totally different things. Even if you may have to wait an hour or two to upgrade, you can still access email, browser, text messages, etc. Very different issues.
    10-13-11 07:29 AM
    The update went live for me at 1:17 on the afternoon and I had it installed within an hour. No issues at all. I don't see how the upgrade server not being to keep up ( but still working and very one already expected it anyway) is the same as an infrastructure failure that left millions with most BB basic function not working. I was sending and receiving emails and text all day yesterday unlike anyone else at work lol.
    I was receiving and sending emails and txts all day yesterday too. texts and calls were never affected on the phone, and email was accessed via a PC or when phone was connected to Wifi.

The basic functions of a phone are calls and texts...these never once stopped working.

Could you say the same for your phone if you took the cover off it?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-13-11 07:34 AM
    I was receiving and sending emails and txts all day yesterday too. texts and calls were never affected on the phone, and email was accessed via a PC or when phone was connected to Wifi.

The basic functions of a phone are calls and texts...these never once stopped working.

Same here. Sent a lot more texts yesterday than normal with BBM not working. I can tell you if BlackBerry released an OS update and it wasn't working correctly, people would throw a fit, and it would be the end of RIM! (sarcasm)
    10-13-11 07:39 AM
    I am not saying the issues are the same, or of the same magnitude. The Blackberry outage is a major SNAFU for RIM.

The way it was reported on The Register amused me and i thought to share with the CrackBerry community, but it remains a fact that the RIM outage has pushed focus away from the iOS5 release and issues some users are having restoring their iDevice after the upgrade (in my opionion even without the current RIM outage the tech and mainstream press would have been much more forgiving of Apple than if RIM had identical release issues....)
    10-13-11 07:41 AM
    That is a ridiculous comparison. Having so many people wanting an update that the servers can't keep up is hardly the same. I had my phone updated in two hours, but I knew that would be the case cause i did it at 12pm and everyone wanted it the second it hit. I did my iPad at home later that evening in about 45 min.

I saw at least three tweets from people saying they decided to just order the iPhone as the outage finalized a decision they had been considering for a while. Our office had to release a memo as we had so many executives who were not happy.

Not sure how they connect the two but I hope RIM has its problem solved soon. It's not good for my work productivity!!!
    10-13-11 07:42 AM

I don't have a cover on it. Just a screen protector. So, yeah. I can.
    moiselles likes this.
    10-13-11 07:43 AM
    I am not saying the issues are the same, or of the same magnitude. The Blackberry outage is a major SNAFU for RIM.

The way it was reported on The Register amused me and i thought to share with the CrackBerry community, but it remains a fact that the RIM outage has pushed focus away from the iOS5 release and issues some users are having restoring their iDevice after the upgrade (in my opionion even without the current RIM outage the tech and mainstream press would have been much more forgiving of Apple than if RIM had identical release issues....)
    That's probably true, but I don't remember hearing about any sort of BlackBerry OS upgrade that was ever in the mainstream media...
    pri79269 likes this.
    10-13-11 07:43 AM
    The update went live for me at 1:17 on the afternoon and I had it installed within an hour. No issues at all. I don't see how the upgrade server not being to keep up ( but still working and every one already expected it anyway) is the same as an infrastructure failure that left millions with most BB basic function not working. I was sending and receiving emails and text all day yesterday unlike anyone else at work lol.
    i live in the us and i am working in europe right mow... my blackberry worked fine my iphone however sayssssssss no service... hmmmmmm stop think about if for a second... it doesnt work every... oh by the way when i go to my bbm i know who has bbm this new imessage crsp i have to select a contact and let my phone decide if its gonna be a regular message or an instant message wtfoh this ios5 has wowed me yet.. sorry
    10-13-11 07:45 AM
    The antenna thing is so blown out of proportion. I tried to replicate it. I can get it to drop one bar but it never loses signal. I often use the phone without a case with no issues. I did replicate the 'death grip' on my SGS, Pearl and Curve. All dropped bars when held the way people had to hold the iPhone to cause the 'problem'. The only people who consistently complain about it are the non iPhone users apparently lol
    Last edited by reeneebob; 10-13-11 at 07:49 AM.
    10-13-11 07:47 AM
    Sounds yummy to me apple and blackberry crumble.

In Homer Simpson style.....uuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh crumble.
    10-13-11 07:47 AM
    i live in the us and i am working in europe right mow... my blackberry worked fine my iphone however sayssssssss no service... hmmmmmm stop think about if for a second... it doesnt work every... oh by the way when i go to my bbm i know who has bbm this new imessage crsp i have to select a contact and let my phone decide if its gonna be a regular message or an instant message wtfoh this ios5 has wowed me yet.. sorry
    I hope you didn't type that on your BB.
    moiselles and pri79269 like this.
    10-13-11 07:48 AM
    Sounds like the iPhone isn't for you then. It's ok, it happens. I know I wouldn't keep a phone that didn't work AND didn't "wow" me.

If you have a 4 you can get at least $300 on eBay right now. Your welcome ;-)
    10-13-11 07:49 AM
    That's probably true, but I don't remember hearing about any sort of BlackBerry OS upgrade that was ever in the mainstream media...
    thats because #1 they are pushed out through the networks and they didnt have to be connected to a pc to upgrade...
    10-13-11 07:49 AM
    Thats because RIM dont need to make a big song and dance about upgrading their OS to ensure their users recieve necessary security fixes...and features which another brand of smartphone has had for years...
    10-13-11 07:50 AM
    Come one, guys. You would be THRILLED if RIM received as much attention for an OS upgrade as Apple. Let's not be sour grapes here...
    10-13-11 07:54 AM
    Thats because RIM dont need to make a big song and dance about upgrading their OS to ensure their users recieve necessary security fixes...and features which another brand of smartphone has had for years...
    **checks the sales figures, market share etc** Yeah, they kinda do. I like to see more BB Marketing genius. It's needed whether they like it or not...
    10-13-11 07:56 AM
    Sounds like the iPhone isn't for you then. It's ok, it happens. I know I wouldn't keep a phone that didn't work AND didn't "wow" me.

If you have a 4 you can get at least $300 on eBay right now. Your welcome ;-)
    incase you dont live on planet earth... phones are attached to these companies called phone companies, who tie the phone to a thing called a contract... furthermore i never once said the iphone was terribleor whatever, just simply said it was all over hyped..(ios5) the swipe down is already on my playbook, notifications was already on android, imessage is bbm, social media integration was windows 7phone, the damera thing was on windows 7phones... theres nothing industry leading here... amazon had the cloud... blackberry has wifi music sync.. so yea it didnt wow me.. the only way to be wowed is to buy a whole nother phone which only add siri but i dont use voice controls now so i dont really care about having a conversation with my phone.. btw now my gps is telliing me im in rio de janeiro... theres no way to calibrate the gps im stuck here until it decides to work... thats all im saying buddy...
    10-13-11 07:57 AM
    **checks the sales figures, market share etc** Yeah, they kinda do. I like to see more BB Marketing genius. It's needed whether they like it or not...
    incase you also forgot there was a world outside of north america..... sales figures for blackberry in south america, europe, asia, austrailia are doing just fine... oh they also just dropped a huge chunk of change on a company....soooo i wouldnt really use that as your argument... i travel the world alot and i can say idevices are definately still the minority across the water...
    10-13-11 08:01 AM
    incase you dont live on planet earth... phones are attached to these companies called phone companies, who tie the phone to a thing called a contract... furthermore i never once said the iphone was terribleor whatever, just simply said it was all over hyped..(ios5) the swipe down is already on my playbook, notifications was already on android, imessage is bbm, social media integration was windows 7phone, the damera thing was on windows 7phones... theres nothing industry leading here... amazon had the cloud... blackberry has wifi music sync.. so yea it didnt wow me.. the only way to be wowed is to buy a whole nother phone which only add siri but i dont use voice controls now so i dont really care about having a conversation with my phone.. btw now my gps is telliing me im in rio de janeiro... theres no way to calibrate the gps im stuck here until it decides to work... thats all im saying buddy...
    Great that you pointed out all those different features are on various different phones in the market. Now you can get them all one one phone (iPhone) instead of owning a BlackBerry, a Playbook, a Windows 7 phone, and an Android. Kidding, kind of.

In all seriousness, what may not wow you may wow other people. I've heard nothing but good things about iOS5. It's all about preference. I've also heard good things about BB OS7. But I wanted an upgraded camera and Siri. The more I looked at the 9930, the less impressed I was. So I made the switch back to iPhone. Different strokes for different folks.
    10-13-11 08:05 AM
    Not being able to upgrade your OS and not having the basic functions of your smartphone for three days are totally different things. Even if you may have to wait an hour or two to upgrade, you can still access email, browser, text messages, etc. Very different issues.
    do remember a couple of things here.. tho a large number of people where affected... noot everyblackberry user was... personally i have about 30bbm contacts... andddd outside of 10 i was able to commicate with all of them.. emails still worked... etc.. sooo 3days of issues compared to how long have they been in business... please tell me another time this has ever happened on this scale....? dont worry.. i will surely wait...
    10-13-11 08:05 AM
    do remember a couple of things here.. tho a large number of people where affected... noot everyblackberry user was... personally i have about 30bbm contacts... andddd outside of 10 i was able to commicate with all of them.. emails still worked... etc.. sooo 3days of issues compared to how long have they been in business... please tell me another time this has ever happened on this scale....? dont worry.. i will surely wait...
    Hey, service goes out. It happens. I didn't care that much because I don't use BBM as a main form of communication. But you realize this was a worldwide outage, right? Even if not everyone was affected, it happened across multiple continents and countries.

I didn't have BBM service (not a big deal), but my browser, Facebook, and Twitter were extremely slow (Twitter is still acting like a brat) of which I only have access to on my mobile device. I also can't check personal email on my work computer, only on my phone. Many other people are in that same boat. If you are at work all day and you can't get your personal email on your mobile, then you have to wait until you get home. What if you travel for work and use your phone as your primary source to check email? Well, now you have to pull out your laptop every time you need to check your email.

Is this outage the end of the world? Absolutely not. Is it incredibly inconvenient for a lot of people? Yes.
    10-13-11 08:13 AM
    You just made my point again. :-/
    10-13-11 08:14 AM
    Well as long as you could commicate.

That hurt me to type.

As far as outages, it's part of why I left. There were several outages that happened a couple of years ago right after each other. It sucked.
    10-13-11 08:14 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD