CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,038 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone have any tips for improving Home Share and Airplay reliability?

One of the features I really like with my Apple products is the ability to take a movie that's on one device and then play it on another. I'll have a movie stored on my Mac upstairs and I'll watch it on the Apple TV downstairs. Or, I'll start watching a movie at the gym on my iPhone or iPod and then pick up later by pointing it at the Apple TV.

Or rather, I liked these feature (Home Sharing and Airplay).

Over the last few OS updates for my various devices (iOS, Mountain Lion, Apple TV iOS), sharing videos has gotten flakier and flakier. It's even more frustrating because all these Apple devices are connected to an airport extreme. I keep everything up to date as well.

With iTunes 11, things have completely gone to . I'll watch a movie that's streaming from my iMac to an Apple TV ... and it will arbitrarily stop three or four times during the movie. Then the Apple TV will fail to connect. Sometimes turning home sharing off and on works. Sometimes it doesn't. It's maddening how flaky and unreliable it is

Likewise, Airplay has gotten Flaky. My iPod and iPhone will detect the Apple TVs, but then fail to play on them. Sometimes I get strange error messages for no reason or "can't connect", only to have it adjust a second later.

One of Apple's core strengths under Steve Jobs was how well all this stuff worked together. This has gotten way, way flakier.

Any tips?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,450 Global Posts
    PIN
    268CF108

I'm not having issues personally but on the Mac side of things it might be a RAM issue. Run activity monitor and see how much free ram (if any) you have, how many page in/out are being written. A page out means you ran out of available RAM. Mine currently says 0 page outs with only iTunes running.

As for the WiFi issues, I have no idea what that could be, home sharing and Airplay are working well for me even with all the current updates.
    Twitter: xandermac
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (12-05-2012) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,038 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think I'd have to put "Macs suck and iOS sucks worse" in the title in order to get people's attention