That thing looks sick. And the specs are crazy. From the youtube videos and demos its UI looks smooth just like the iPhone. Doesn't look buggy. If it looks that smooth before it's released then hopefully it will be the same at release. I do like the fact that it's open source. I'm going to use it in parallel with my iPhone for a couple weeks and see which one I like better. But it looks pretty good if you want a QWERTY and touchscreen. It looks like it definitely blows blackberry out the water. Well only time and testing will tell
    10-25-09 08:25 PM
    I'm considering the N900 and the upcoming Droid unit. Not sure which one I'll grab, but either way going to venture out from BB for awhile
    10-25-09 08:30 PM
    It always comes back to the apps for me... Nokia can't match them in that. Google with Android is the only one I see coming close.

I've always been a Nokia fan, back from my first Nokia smartphone (6682) which took better pictures at 1.3MP than any of my 2.0MP phones (until the iPhone came along).

If this new OS can be iPhone-like, I may one day switch back.
    10-26-09 12:03 AM
    It sure looks slick...multitasking, 5mp camera, flashplayer 9.4 capable, etc. Definitely will have to check it out. What carrier will be offering it?
    10-26-09 06:06 AM
    It sure looks slick...multitasking, 5mp camera, flashplayer 9.4 capable, etc. Definitely will have to check it out. What carrier will be offering it?
    From what I've read, it won't be offered by a specific carrier in the US at first. They will have to be purchased unlocked directly from Nokia, Amazon etc... Only thing that sucks is that when it is released it will not work on AT&T 3G network, only edge. It will however work on TMO 3G..... yuck. But most are expecting one to released shortly afterwards that will work on AT&T3G. That's when I will jump on it. But I must admit, the phone looks slick and the specs are ridiculous.

Also to Duvi's point, apps are important but I find myself not really using too many apps anymore. I just usually stick with the usual RSS feeds, Facebook, beejive, streaming radio and yellow pages. All the other stuff are good to have but don't know when the last time I used. But I do agree, that if they start getting some apps on there and the browser does have flash with all the other stuff, it's worth looking at. When they do come with an AT&T one it's going to really push Apple to bolster the specs on the iPhone...... this is what I'm hoping for.
    10-26-09 09:35 AM
    I'm considering the N900 and the upcoming Droid unit. Not sure which one I'll grab, but either way going to venture out from BB for awhile
    Yeah I'm kind of testing new OS. I haven't really tried anything beside BB and iPhone for the past 3 years. Before that it was Palm and Windows mobile. Windows mobile 6.5 is a big improvement but still too many menu for simple navigation. Symbian on the N97..... stinks IMO. has been very buggy. Blackberry OS.... same ole same ole. I really want to try this OS because it looks great. But I am glad companies are stepping up to the plate to really innovate. This will only make it better for us. If there was a Droid for AT&T's network, I would try that too.
    10-26-09 09:38 AM
    From what I've read, it won't be offered by a specific carrier in the US at first. They will have to be purchased unlocked directly from Nokia, Amazon etc... Only thing that sucks is that when it is released it will not work on AT&T 3G network, only edge. It will however work on TMO 3G..... yuck. But most are expecting one to released shortly afterwards that will work on AT&T3G. That's when I will jump on it. But I must admit, the phone looks slick and the specs are ridiculous.

Also to Duvi's point, apps are important but I find myself not really using too many apps anymore. I just usually stick with the usual RSS feeds, Facebook, beejive, streaming radio and yellow pages. All the other stuff are good to have but don't know when the last time I used. But I do agree, that if they start getting some apps on there and the browser does have flash with all the other stuff, it's worth looking at. When they do come with an AT&T one it's going to really push Apple to bolster the specs on the iPhone...... this is what I'm hoping for.
    I personally don't use that many apps on my iPhone either. It's good to see the competition heating up here...will only nudge Apple along to continue improving.
    10-26-09 09:43 AM
    I personally don't use that many apps on my iPhone either. It's good to see the competition heating up here...will only nudge Apple along to continue improving.
    Exactly. I love to see the competition heating up and each device getting better. This just means better products for the consumers. If no one really trying to compete with the iPhone then you'll be stuck with an inferior device or have to go to a carrier you probably would otherwise avoid. This will create more options for all of us.
    10-26-09 10:26 AM
    I have to agree with you. ^^^^^
    10-26-09 10:34 AM
    I have to agree with you. ^^^^^
    Bout time!
    10-26-09 10:53 AM
    It always comes back to the apps for me... Nokia can't match them in that. Google with Android is the only one I see coming close.

I've always been a Nokia fan, back from my first Nokia smartphone (6682) which took better pictures at 1.3MP than any of my 2.0MP phones (until the iPhone came along).

If this new OS can be iPhone-like, I may one day switch back.
    I agree. Apps have become the make-or-break for me when it comes to smart phones. I use Twitter, News, and ESPN extensively. This is why I lean more on my iPhone than my BlackBerry. The user interface and quality of app from iPhone is 5x better than any BlackBerry app.

Nokia develops excellent phones, but overall I don't feel they will gain a lot of ground in the USA. Here I believe Apple and BlackBerry will always be the two main players.
    10-26-09 12:13 PM
    I agree. Apps have become the make-or-break for me when it comes to smart phones. I use Twitter, News, and ESPN extensively. This is why I lean more on my iPhone than my BlackBerry. The user interface and quality of app from iPhone is 5x better than any BlackBerry app.

Nokia develops excellent phones, but overall I don't feel they will gain a lot of ground in the USA. Here I believe Apple and BlackBerry will always be the two main players.
    They haven't been major players mostly because their devices haven't push to carriers like other devices. Blackberries are on every carrier and the iPhone is with the 2nd largest and it's a great phone. But none of that doesn't mean it won't change in the future. It has only taken Apple 2 years to be a major player in smartphone industry. And Google is pressing hard to get in with their devices and now teaming up with VZW with the Droid. So if we start to see that kind of push from Nokia with a carrier then they will once again become major players. They're all going to leave Blackberry behind in the consumer market if RIM doesn't do something with that OS. But as I stated, I probably have 5 apps that I use all the time. The rest are either just sitting there or have been deleted. But that's just me. They do come in handy though. And also with Maemo being open sourced, hopefully developers jump on it.

Remember, without the app store the iPhone would be a good device but not as good. The N900 looks like it will be packed with features and apps straight out the box. And if they start getting apps then it's going to get interesting. But at the end of the day, I don't care who produces the best phone..... I just want high quality choices regardless of the carrier or manufacturer.
    10-26-09 03:23 PM
    nah... im happy with my iphone
    10-27-09 09:20 AM
    nah... im happy with my iphone
    That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be on AT&T, I get to try both with having to do much to change my plan or anything. So I'll try it out for a little while to see how things are going. But my 3GS will not go anywhere unless I am sure.
    10-28-09 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD