All I can say is that this is a spectacularly solid app. Google has completely blown Apple Maps out of the water, out of the galaxy even. Not just for the fact that Google has solid accurate mapping, but the fact that the app is so smooth, fast, and has such a clean simple yet functional interface.

Putting aside Apple Maps glitches, I am annoyed that Apple fed me all that BS about Apple Maps running on my iPhone 4. All the BS about the 4 not having enough horsepower to do turn-by-turn navigation, etc.

Google Maps runs on my iPhone 4 perfectly. I have all the abilities that someone on a 4s or iPhone 5 has. The pinch-to-zoom is smooth, I have turn-by-turn navigation, I HAVE STREET VIEW!!!!, and street view is smooth and fast as well.

So as an Apple customer, Apple wants me to upgrade to a new device if I want all the features. Google comes along and gives me accurate, detailed, smooth as butter functionality on my iPhone 4.

Wtf kind of business is Apple trying to run here? This is a definite disgrace for Apple and honestly they should shutdown Apple Maps development because what's the point now.

I will say though that as an Apple customer I do appreciate Tim Cook's more open philosophy rather than Jobs' old closed-in secretive bubble atmosphere. Tim Cook did well by issuing an apology quickly for Apple Maps.
    12-13-12 10:51 AM
    Am "I" missing something? Shouldn't this be posted on Imore vs Crackberry. Sorry about your irealization that Apple is all about giving little tinny improvements so you keep the ipurchasing going. Best of luck with your next ibuy and hopefully they get the mapping issues fixed.

ithank you!
    skxj likes this.
    12-13-12 11:12 AM
    X2

Sorry about your frustration Mr. Marco

In another 6 weeks you can buy a sweet sweet BB10 phone and tell Apple to suck it!!!
    12-13-12 11:21 AM
    Wo wo wo, hold your horses for a minute. First of all this is the iPhone/iPad sub-forum. Second my first and only Apple product is my iPhone 4. Third I've been saying in multiple forums since Android ICS was released that I believe Android was now equal with iOS.

I don't go around worshiping Apple nor do I buy all their products. And yes, as someone currently with an iPhone, I was annoyed with the Apple Maps BS.

So I don't know what pushed your panties to the side and crawled into your rectum and died kozmo68. But whatever it is, a good laxative would probably help you out.
    12-13-12 11:33 AM
    My apologies, clearly I can read a post, just can't read where the post originated... for that My Bad!

The post popped up through the crackberry feed, so I assumed it was on the crackberry form.. A glowing endorsement for not assuming things before posting.. Again, my bad Mr. Marco..

I've had a number of bad experiences with a few iproducts in the past couple of years that I'm now anti Apple on everything. Maybe I should look for a good laxative.. lol
    12-13-12 11:56 AM
    It's ok. Happy holidays.
    12-13-12 12:32 PM
    For a first release of the app, I am pretty impressed too. I have been playing around with today and it's REALLY nice. I hope they make it available for all devices because it would be nice if everyone could use it.
    12-13-12 12:50 PM
    Thanks and a Happy Holidays to you as well!
    12-13-12 12:56 PM
    So I've been trying the new Google Maps while moving around South China this morning. Here are some observations:

1. It is vastly superior to the previous Google powered maps found pre-iOS6
    2. It offers turn-by-turn
    3. It now uses vector graphics, and loads really fast, even faster than Apple Maps, which was already pretty fast.
    4. It's possible it loads faster because I'm probably about 20-30 miles from a Google datacenter.
    5. Maps accuracy and POI in China is on par with Apple Maps, which was vastly superior to the previous Google powered maps pre-iOS6.
    7. It offers building outlines in more densely populated areas. I suspect they have a deal with Gaode Maps, there are multiple similarities. Building outlines are also in 3D, and show height. Apple maps doesn't show height.
    8. It does not access contacts, which would make the app more useful.
    9. It shows as a mass transit option under Apple Maps.
    10. You can't rename saved locations.
    11. Although map loading is really fast, the UI is slow.
    12. Obviously, it doesn't work with Siri.
    13. When using TBT, it only gives the street names in the native language, so I only see names in Chinese. Apple maps changes language depending on language settings.
    14. It zooms in quite a bit further than Apple Maps, but the setting for when the building outlines start appearing is set quite a bit further out than the Apple Maps.
    15. You can rotate and get angled views.

So which is better? I'm not sure yet. I do like the speed of the new Google Maps, it's really fast. I prefer the Apple maps interface, I find it more intuitive and easier to use. Apple Maps integrates with Siri, which is very nice, since I use Siri a lot. In China, Apple Maps never had the issues that plagued other areas (like Australia), and as far as I can tell, both are using the same data set (virtually identical POI and virtually identical areas where building outlines are available), which I presume is licensed from Gaode. I haven't tried out the public transportation feature, but I presume it works as advertised. Since there's no real benefit where I am to using Google Maps, I'll probably just default to using Apple Maps, especially since I can only get directions in Chinese, which I can't read. Depending on what I see once I return to the US, I might very well switch.

Overall, this is a great app. It's far better than the Nokia HERE app, and just about anything else available in the App Store, except maybe Waze, but that's a whole different type of app. I presume accuracy (now even in China) is unparalleled. In retrospect, the whole Apple Maps fiasco was worth it. Without Apple bringing out their own maps and forcing the issue on Google, this app would never have been made. We would have been stuck with the sucky old Google powered maps until who knows when, which was really a class below what's available on Android.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 12-14-12 at 01:31 AM.
    12-13-12 11:09 PM
    It would be more useful if it could be set as the default mapping app.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-14-12 06:58 AM
    I daresay Eddie Cue would rather eat children raw than allow iOS users to set the default to Google Maps. Just a guess. Then again, that goes for any app that replaces a substandard embedded iOS one.
    12-14-12 07:22 AM
    Apple maps was/is hot garbage. Garbage enough to have the general public and reviewers to speak out against it. Garbage enough to have Tim Cook publicly apologize and send Scott Forstall packing and off the Apple senior executive list.

Google Maps for iOS just came out, is vastly superior and ahead of the game. And guess what? Google will continue fine-tuning and improving it.

Apple shouldn't even waste money by continuing Apple Maps development. Save the money and get the iPad Mini a faster processor and retina display for the same price point.
    12-14-12 12:00 PM
    Apple maps was/is hot garbage. Garbage enough to have the general public and reviewers to speak out against it. Garbage enough to have Tim Cook publicly apologize and send Scott Forstall packing and off the Apple senior executive list.
    Works fine for me. Until the new Google Maps became available, the Apple Maps was by far the best mapping software available in China, which is the 2nd largest market for Apple. I kinda want them to continue development of it. I like the interface. Hopefully they'll spend the money to make it better. The simple fact you can rename your locations is enough for me to continue using it. I can't read Chinese, and I rename everything into it's English equivalent.

Google Maps for iOS just came out, is vastly superior and ahead of the game. And guess what? Google will continue fine-tuning and improving it.
    It all depends where you are. Where I am, until the other day, Apple Maps was much better. In a lot of other places, Google is by far the superior choice. That comes from 7 years of experience and crowd sourcing. About 5 of those years were heavily dependent on iPhones for their data. I'm sure Apple Maps will improve as they collect more data. Certainly Google will continue to improve their maps, I don't think anybody has ever suggested they wouldn't.

Apple shouldn't even waste money by continuing Apple Maps development. Save the money and get the iPad Mini a faster processor and retina display for the same price point.
    I don't think the two are linked. For sure iPad mini will get a faster processor and better display, because they certainly haven't stopped development on it. Apple certainly has the money to continue development on both products.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not sure if I want to see Google creating a map monopoly. Currently, the Android version of Google Maps shows ads. I wouldn't be surprised if a future version of Google Maps for iOS is also ad supported. I'm not against ad supported apps, and certainly Google has a right to monetize their very nice app, but I find them annoying and would prefer to use an app without ads.
    12-15-12 12:17 AM
    Yeah, you are definitely in the minority. Apple builds some nice hardware but when it comes to providing services (Gmail, Maps, etc.) Google beats them hands down. Google pretty much has all competitors in the market beat in services.
    12-15-12 02:37 PM
    Agreed. I wish Apple would allow hooks to set these default apps. I like google maps, but unless I can access it with a Siri query while I'm driving, it's kind of useless to me since Apple maps hasn't failed me yet.
    12-15-12 08:23 PM